"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Meatless Monday

This looks and sounds so good. Hope to make it real soon.

Garbanzo Bean Burgers (4 servings)

1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 TB water
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Dash crushed red pepper flakes
2 TB canola oil
4 whole wheat or whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
4 slices reduced-fat American cheese

Optional toppings: dill pickle slices, fat-free mayonnaise, ketchup, sliced red onion, lettuce and sliced tomato

1. Place the beans, water and lemon juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, egg and seasonings and mix well. Shape into patties.

2. In a large skillet, cook the patties in oil in batches until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes on each side.

Source: Taste of Home mag. 2/19

cookieee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Anyone else have a meatless meal they would like to share?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
Anyone else have a meatless meal they would like to share?
Tonight we are having pinto beans, brown rice, cheese quesadillas and a cabbage, cilantro and lime juice slaw. Meatless.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Tonight we are having pinto beans, brown rice, cheese quesadillas and a cabbage, cilantro and lime juice slaw. Meatless.
Thank you Janet, sounds good. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Many of the Indian meals I make are meatless, and I go meatless many days at a time in the summer, when I harvest all those vegetables.

Last night I threw together that Indian soup like dish, that took very little work time, except peeling, seeding, and dicing the small butternut.
I had an Indian food craving, and wanted to use the butternut, and had a half cup of leftover coconut milk I needed to use, some cooked brown basmati rice I used a cup of, and this is what I came up with:

1/2 c each toor and channa dal, rinsed, and
picked over
5 c water
1/2 c coconut milk
1 tb amchur powder (I added more later)
2 tb rassam powder
3/4 tsp turmeric
4 cups butternut, in 1/2" cubes
1 c cooked brown basmati rice
Salt, about 2 tsp to start

Tadka:
2 tb coconut oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp asafoetida
12 curry leaves

Combine the two dal, water, amchur, rassam, turmeric, and salt in about a 3 qt saucepan; bring to a simmer, and cook 15 min. Add squash, coconut milk, and the rice, and simmer until the squash becomes soft. If the soup gets too thick, add a little more water.

Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds, and cover pan until the mustard stops popping. Uncover, add asafoetida and curry leaves, stir briefly, then add this to the soup. Simmer another 5 min or so, adding a little more amchur (this is the sour component of
the flavor - usually tamarind in this, but I was
lazy last night!), if necessary, as well as salt, to taste.

Very good leftover - had again for lunch today! And several more to go.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Many of the Indian meals I make are meatless, and I go meatless many days at a time in the summer, when I harvest all those vegetables.

Last night I threw together that Indian soup like dish, that took very little work time, except peeling, seeding, and dicing the small butternut.
I had an Indian food craving, and wanted to use the butternut, and had a half cup of leftover coconut milk I needed to use, some cooked brown basmati rice I used a cup of, and this is what I came up with:

1/2 c each toor and channa dal, rinsed, and
picked over
5 c water
1/2 c coconut milk
1 tb amchur powder (I added more later)
2 tb rassam powder
3/4 tsp turmeric
4 cups butternut, in 1/2" cubes
1 c cooked brown basmati rice
Salt, about 2 tsp to start

Tadka:
2 tb coconut oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp asafoetida
12 curry leaves

Combine the two dal, water, amchur, rassam, turmeric, and salt in about a 3 qt saucepan; bring to a simmer, and cook 15 min. Add squash, coconut milk, and the rice, and simmer until the squash becomes soft. If the soup gets too thick, add a little more water.

Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds, and cover pan until the mustard stops popping. Uncover, add asafoetida and curry leaves, stir briefly, then add this to the soup. Simmer another 5 min or so, adding a little more amchur (this is the sour component of
the flavor - usually tamarind in this, but I was
lazy last night!), if necessary, as well as salt, to taste.

Very good leftover - had again for lunch today! And several more to go.
Hi Dave, look at all those wonderful spices you used. I have most of them. But never heard of rassam powder. Do you keep your asafoetida in a glass jar? I double glass jar it. lol DH is looking up rassam powder now. lol
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Cookieee, The rassam (or rasam) powder is a southern Indian spice mix, sort of like sambar masala, but with less ingredients. I'll have to look on my PC for my recipe - I think that I used a hybrid of 2 or 3 recipes, using the method from 660 Curries (coating everything in a tsp of oil, before toasting them), but using more ingredients from the others.

I keep all of those kinds of things in glass jars, with rubber seals. You might want to triple jar my asafoetida! lol
I say that because it is even more potent than the usual Hing powder that I have found in Indian groceries, which is only around 50%, as a rule. I got some on ebay, that came from India that is 82%, plus fresher than any of that hing powder I had found before. Then there is the solid asafoetida I got. Some CB author - don't recall the book (not one of my fav Indian CBs, just remember this from it!) said that she never uses the powder, only the solid, as the powder has lost most of its flavor. Hard to believe, until you have gotten a whiff of these fresher items! lol

Another thing that I got at the same time, from India, was some methi leaves. The dried methi leaves I had bought locally didn't have much aroma, but this stuff was incredible! At first, I hadn't even opened the package that all these things were mailed in, and was wondering "what's that smell?". Then I opened the package, and saw the methi, and thought "oh yeah! That stuff!" Then, after just putting a little in a jar, I put the rest - maybe 3 c loosely packed - in a foodsaver bag, and sucking all that air out when it was vacuum packed resulted in that maple syrup like smell throughout my house, dissipating only after about 3 days. Amazing how intense these things are, even compared to buying them in a local Indian grocery.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Dave, I thought my stuff was bad and it wasn't that fresh. lol It is so much fun finding out about all this new "stuff". Thanks for sharing so much with me. DH says we have an Indian grocery a few blocks from us. I see a trip coming up real soon. Thanks!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Cookieee, As bad as asafoetida smells (giving it that name), once it cooks, it smells a lot like onion, and some religious sect in India uses a lot of it, as they don't eat onions or garlic. With that in mind, when cooking those lentils all the time for those salads in the summer, I add a tsp of asafoetida to the water, instead of putting a whole onion in the pot. A lot easier than peeling an onion! lol I also crush a black cardamom pod and add that, which gives a smoky flavor to the water. Those aren't Indian salads I make, but it starts out with Indian lentils and spices.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Cookieee, As bad as asafoetida smells (giving it that name), once it cooks, it smells a lot like onion, and some religious sect in India uses a lot of it, as they don't eat onions or garlic. With that in mind, when cooking those lentils all the time for those salads in the summer, I add a tsp of asafoetida to the water, instead of putting a whole onion in the pot. A lot easier than peeling an onion! lol I also crush a black cardamom pod and add that, which gives a smoky flavor to the water. Those aren't Indian salads I make, but it starts out with Indian lentils and spices.
Dave, thank you (again) for the info. Yes, you are right, the black cardamom pods do smell smoky. What would you say the green ones smell like? And it's good to know that the asafoetida is a good sub for onion and also garlic I've read

Tags
meat