"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
No, no, no ketchup on the meatloaf.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

Whenever I make a meat loaf it's almost exclusively for future meat loaf sandwiches. Love them. I just made one last week, sliced it up, and Food Saver'ed it in 2-slice little packets for the freezer.

Depending on the amount of ground meat I use, it's rarely ever the exact same, but I always mix in some chopped bell pepper, onions, a little Worcestershire, a handful of Quaker oats, and an egg or two depending on how much meat there is to work with. Added spices depending on my mood at the time. lol. I never add catsup, either in the mix or on top. :-)

Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Ketchup on the side. And that's only if you didn't make gravy.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
+1 I have all kinds of condiments in the house, but no ketchup. I use homemade salsa or srirachi instead of ketchup.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Wish I'd taken a picture of last night's dinner Yummy meatloaf with ketchup on top and gravy on the mashed potatoes. I put minced onion, garlic, Worcestershire, sage, dry mustard, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, s&p in mine.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Head Chef

when my daughter was little she didn't like extra things in stuff, especially meatloaf. I would put all the extras in a food processer and grind them up and then add them. worked out great. now she eat them as it and does the same for her 3 kids. what they don't know don't hurt them.
I once brought a gallon of milk and it had a picture of a cow in a field on it and she wanted only the milk with the cow on the package. I told her it was the same and she argued it was different so I brought another jug of the cow one and when it was gone I cleaned out and poured the other jug into it and she drank it and then I proved my point to her. Got to be sneaky with them kids.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

We use Indiana tomato gravy on ours...
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Master Chef

I was reading a recipe for meatloaf this weekend from a Texas grandmother that grew up during the Depression/Dust Bowl years.

The recipe called for the addition of a teaspoon of double acting baking powder, to lighten the texture of the meatloaf.

I have never seen or heard of this before. Have any of you made a meatloaf this way and how did it work for you?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Wish I'd taken a picture of last night's dinner Yummy meatloaf with ketchup on top and gravy on the mashed potatoes. I put minced onion, garlic, Worcestershire, sage, dry mustard, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, s&p in mine.
Granted, while I don't put ketchup on top of meatloaf, nor does anyone I know... if someone were to make me a meatloaf I'd let them use ketchup on it
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Master Chef

I posted my last meatloaf experiment, about a month or so ago I think. but it really came out great. Instead of putting ketchup on top, had placed saude in the loaf pan before the meat mixture. I'll have to look more.

A classic meatloaf favorite of mine is to combine w parts ground beef with 1 part chudagi sausage, add sage, chopped onions, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs, a raw egg, and a bit of milk. Sauces that go great with this loaf include ketchup, tomato/brown sugar based bbq sauce, marinara sauce, and enchilada sauce. This loaf is also great with brown gravy, or a good veloute. Great sides include cooked spinach or asparagus, Kluski noodles, cooked in beef/w mushroom stock, or brown rice/wild rice pilaf. Root veggies are also great with this meatloaf.

Just some ideas for you meatloaf lovers out there. And the chudagi can be replaced with Andouille, or even sweet Italian sausage (bulk type, not in casing).

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meat