Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
I like flavor, but my brother in law whom my wife and I are taking care of, does not. He detests anything other than salt and pepper in his food. His brother is not much better. The meatloaf I am preparing tonight will have some nice things in it, but they will be diced bell pepper, diced garden tomato, diced sweet onion. It will have little in the way of seasoning for his sake. I sometimes cheat and sneak a little garlic powder or paprika into the food, but it has to be very little. He used to make a pretty boring loaf, it had ketchup on top. I guess what I will do in the future make two loaves, one my way and one his and maybe we will both be happy. Mine would have thin slices of sweet onion on top with slices of applewood smoked bacon holding them down. Oh, and maybe a nice bowl of brown mushroom gravy on the side. Ketchup, grape gum and lilac perfumes are designed to cover up all sorts of sins and for ketchup that would be lazy cooking. Well, suffice it to say, it seems such a shame to have a beautiful free range chicken and not be allowed to season it properly. Pay no attention to me, I am simply complaining and I will survive.

You can make mini-loaves with different flavors. Make the basic recipe he likes, then take 1/4 or 1/6 of the mixture (depending on how many people you are feeding) and make a loaf shape for him. Then add your other seasonings and make loaves with the rest of the mixture. Bake on a sheet pan for about 45 minutes. Hope this helps.

You can make mini-loaves with different flavors. Make the basic recipe he likes, then take 1/4 or 1/6 of the mixture (depending on how many people you are feeding) and make a loaf shape for him. Then add your other seasonings and make loaves with the rest of the mixture. Bake on a sheet pan for about 45 minutes. Hope this helps.

+1

I have a sister who never learned to cook, she's single and just eats out all the time, or has chips and junk. As a child, she would never eat anything with onions, and even though she's now in her mid 50‘s, she still won't eat anything with onions.

Sometimes there's no accounting for taste.

The guy is looking for a burger. Make him one and make meatloaf for everyone else.

This gets my vote. It's so much easier making one small portion for one person and fixing it the way everyone else likes for the bulk of the meal. At least that's the way my mother did it for my sister.

This gets my vote. It's so much easier making one small portion for one person and fixing it the way everyone else likes for the bulk of the meal. At least that's the way my mother did it for my sister.

Gee, your mom was nice. Sis and I never got special meals. We were expected to sit down, shut up and eat. That was typically not a problem. My only food dislike was butternut squash.

I add Worcestershire sauce to my meatloaf. It gives it some umph without a lot of weird flavors or bits of other things like onions. I also replace the ketchup on top with A1 sauce. He might try that since it is similar in flavor to steaks.

Whenever I make a meat loaf it's almost exclusively for future meat loaf sandwiches. :yum: Love them. I just made one last week, sliced it up, and Food Saver'ed it in 2-slice little packets for the freezer. :)

Depending on the amount of ground meat I use, it's rarely ever the exact same, but I always mix in some chopped bell pepper, onions, a little Worcestershire, a handful of Quaker oats, and an egg or two depending on how much meat there is to work with. Added spices depending on my mood at the time. lol. I never add catsup, either in the mix or on top. :)

Wish I'd taken a picture of last night's dinner ;) Yummy meatloaf with ketchup on top and gravy on the mashed potatoes. I put minced onion, garlic, Worcestershire, sage, dry mustard, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, s&p in mine.

when my daughter was little she didn't like extra things in stuff, especially meatloaf. I would put all the extras in a food processer and grind them up and then add them. worked out great. now she eat them as it and does the same for her 3 kids. what they don't know don't hurt them.
I once brought a gallon of milk and it had a picture of a cow in a field on it and she wanted only the milk with the cow on the package. I told her it was the same and she argued it was different so I brought another jug of the cow one and when it was gone I cleaned out and poured the other jug into it and she drank it and then I proved my point to her. Got to be sneaky with them kids.

I was reading a recipe for meatloaf this weekend from a Texas grandmother that grew up during the Depression/Dust Bowl years.

The recipe called for the addition of a teaspoon of double acting baking powder, to lighten the texture of the meatloaf.

I have never seen or heard of this before. Have any of you made a meatloaf this way and how did it work for you?

Wish I'd taken a picture of last night's dinner ;) Yummy meatloaf with ketchup on top and gravy on the mashed potatoes. I put minced onion, garlic, Worcestershire, sage, dry mustard, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, s&p in mine.

Granted, while I don't put ketchup on top of meatloaf, nor does anyone I know... if someone were to make me a meatloaf I'd let them use ketchup on it :rolleyes::yum:

I posted my last meatloaf experiment, about a month or so ago I think. but it really came out great. Instead of putting ketchup on top, had placed saude in the loaf pan before the meat mixture. I'll have to look more.

A classic meatloaf favorite of mine is to combine w parts ground beef with 1 part chudagi sausage, add sage, chopped onions, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs, a raw egg, and a bit of milk. Sauces that go great with this loaf include ketchup, tomato/brown sugar based bbq sauce, marinara sauce, and enchilada sauce. This loaf is also great with brown gravy, or a good veloute. Great sides include cooked spinach or asparagus, Kluski noodles, cooked in beef/w mushroom stock, or brown rice/wild rice pilaf. Root veggies are also great with this meatloaf.

Just some ideas for you meatloaf lovers out there. And the chudagi can be replaced with Andouille, or even sweet Italian sausage (bulk type, not in casing).

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom