Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Granted, while I don't put ketchup on top of meatloaf, nor does anyone I know... if someone were to make me a meatloaf I'd let them use ketchup on it :rolleyes::yum:
Exactly, but I would ask them to taste it before putting ketchup on it.

My meatloaf doesn't need ketchup or gravy. ;)

Well, I put ketchup on top for the last 15 minutes of baking, so it's like a glaze. Sorry, no choice! ;) And for me, it's not about the food "needing" something. It's about enjoying the flavor of ketchup with meatloaf, like mustard and pickles with a burger, and I LOVE :wub: gravy and sauces of all kinds. They add a nice extra flavor boost and texture change and go great with rice, potatoes and bread. And it's thrifty! I don't throw out the juices that come out of the meatloaf - I make gravy.

Last edited:
Gee, your mom was nice. Sis and I never got special meals. We were expected to sit down, shut up and eat. That was typically not a problem. My only food dislike was butternut squash.

We had to eat what mom cooked also, and if we didn't like it we went hungry, because there wasn't anything else to eat except bread. The only thing I recall not eating is fish, because it had bones in it.

It's not really a matter of need, it's what each person likes. I put some ketchup in my meatloaf, but I let each person decided if they want it on the meatloaf after it's cooked. Sometimes I like it with ketchup, sometimes with sliced tomatoes, and sometimes with gravy on a slice of bread.

I usually used "doctored" up chili sauce but when I don't have it, it's doctored ketchup.

My meatloaf is delicious but the tomato-based glaze is the best part for me!!

My recipe says to add the sauce on top during the last 15 min of cooking. Does anyone do it differently?

Well, I put ketchup on top for the last 15 minutes of baking, so it's like a glaze. Sorry, no choice! ;) And for me, it's not about the food "needing" something. It's about enjoying the flavor of ketchup with meatloaf, like mustard and pickles with a burger, and I LOVE :wub: gravy and sauces of all kinds. They add a nice extra flavor boost and texture change and go great with rice, potatoes and bread. And it's thrifty! I don't throw out the juices that come out of the meatloaf - I make gravy.

Okay, now I'm working up a cheeseburger meatloaf in my mind...:chef:

You can make mini-loaves with different flavors. Make the basic recipe he likes, then take 1/4 or 1/6 of the mixture (depending on how many people you are feeding) and make a loaf shape for him. Then add your other seasonings and make loaves with the rest of the mixture. Bake on a sheet pan for about 45 minutes. Hope this helps.

Excellent advice. I would add just one more. Purchase those individual foil disposable mini loaf pans for his. That is more than plenty for him. :angel:

Excellent advice. I would add just one more. Purchase those individual foil disposable mini loaf pans for his. That is more than plenty for him. :angel:

I never tried it but I have seen the suggestion of making the mini meatloaves in a muffin pan. They cook quicker and each person gets their own little meatloaf. I wonder if you could form them in the muffin pan and then pop them out and bake them on a baking sheet so they cook all around.

I never tried it but I have seen the suggestion of making the mini meatloaves in a muffin pan. They cook quicker and each person gets their own little meatloaf. I wonder if you could form them in the muffin pan and then pop them out and bake them on a baking sheet so they cook all around.

You could, but then you'd have another pan to wash. You can also form a good-size meatball with your hands and flatten it slightly as you put it on the sheet pan.

You could, but to me, that's an unnecessary expense and waste of foil. I try not to use disposables any more than necessary. It's easy enough to form small loaves with your hands.

You could, but then you'd have another pan to wash. You can also form a good-size meatball with your hands and flatten it slightly as you put it on the sheet pan.

I have never had a dishwasher and having another pan never bothered me. I wash things as I go along, and by the time we are eating dinner, everything is clean and put away except for the dishes we are eating on.

I have never had a dishwasher and having another pan never bothered me. I wash things as I go along, and by the time we are eating dinner, everything is clean and put away except for the dishes we are eating on.

Well, then, it's not a problem for you :) For me, though, I try to be thrifty and not waste water, soap and time when it's not necessary. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom