"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Meatloaf

I like flavor, but my brother in law whom my wife and I are taking care of, does not. He detests anything other than salt and pepper in his food. His brother is not much better. The meatloaf I am preparing tonight will have some nice things in it, but they will be diced bell pepper, diced garden tomato, diced sweet onion. It will have little in the way of seasoning for his sake. I sometimes cheat and sneak a little garlic powder or paprika into the food, but it has to be very little. He used to make a pretty boring loaf, it had ketchup on top. I guess what I will do in the future make two loaves, one my way and one his and maybe we will both be happy. Mine would have thin slices of sweet onion on top with slices of applewood smoked bacon holding them down. Oh, and maybe a nice bowl of brown mushroom gravy on the side. Ketchup, grape gum and lilac perfumes are designed to cover up all sorts of sins and for ketchup that would be lazy cooking. Well, suffice it to say, it seems such a shame to have a beautiful free range chicken and not be allowed to season it properly. Pay no attention to me, I am simply complaining and I will survive.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You can make mini-loaves with different flavors. Make the basic recipe he likes, then take 1/4 or 1/6 of the mixture (depending on how many people you are feeding) and make a loaf shape for him. Then add your other seasonings and make loaves with the rest of the mixture. Bake on a sheet pan for about 45 minutes. Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You can make mini-loaves with different flavors. Make the basic recipe he likes, then take 1/4 or 1/6 of the mixture (depending on how many people you are feeding) and make a loaf shape for him. Then add your other seasonings and make loaves with the rest of the mixture. Bake on a sheet pan for about 45 minutes. Hope this helps.
+1

I have a sister who never learned to cook, she's single and just eats out all the time, or has chips and junk. As a child, she would never eat anything with onions, and even though she's now in her mid 50‘s, she still won't eat anything with onions.

Sometimes there's no accounting for taste.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The guy is looking for a burger. Make him one and make meatloaf for everyone else.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The guy is looking for a burger. Make him one and make meatloaf for everyone else.
This gets my vote. It's so much easier making one small portion for one person and fixing it the way everyone else likes for the bulk of the meal. At least that's the way my mother did it for my sister.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
This gets my vote. It's so much easier making one small portion for one person and fixing it the way everyone else likes for the bulk of the meal. At least that's the way my mother did it for my sister.
Gee, your mom was nice. Sis and I never got special meals. We were expected to sit down, shut up and eat. That was typically not a problem. My only food dislike was butternut squash.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

She was, Andy.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

A meatloaf without sticky browned ketchup on top is like a day without sunshine.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Master Chef

I add Worcestershire sauce to my meatloaf. It gives it some umph without a lot of weird flavors or bits of other things like onions. I also replace the ketchup on top with A1 sauce. He might try that since it is similar in flavor to steaks.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
A meatloaf without sticky browned ketchup on top is like a day without sunshine.
I have to agree.

Tags
meat