Meatloaf help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I'm going to make a meatloaf for dinner tonight and leave it for the family. I USUALLY make the bacon cheeseburger one but I thought I'd see if I could bug you guys to share your meatloaf recipes with me. I'll have to get to it by noon so here's hoping you will all share your faves with me before then.

One meatloaf that I make that everyone seems to like is a take on tacos. I use taco seasoning in the ground meat mixture and, instead of breadcrumbs, etc. as a binder, I use crushed up tortilla chips. Add some salsa as the tomato part, chop some chili peppers or green peppers along with some onions, then bake. I will often douse the top of the meatloaf with more salsa before baking. Just depends on how much I have on hand and what my attitude is.:rolleyes:

Pretty good stuff.

Alix, try this seasoning mix even if you don't have ground lamb. It's delicious. I cook the meatloaf freestyle because I shape the loaf for sandwich-sized slices.

I usually use a mini FP to puree the non-meat ingredients before mixing them into the meat.

Luleh Kebabs/Burgers/Meatloaf

1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Lamb
1 Large Onion, minced
½ C Parsley, minced
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
2 tsp Salt
½ tsp Allspice
½ tsp Cumin
C Tomato Sauce

Mix all the ingredients by hand. Shape appropriately for kebabs, burgers or meatloaf.

Note: For meatballs or meatloaf, add 2 eggs and [FONT=PC&#47749][/FONT] cup of breadcrumbs.

Meat Loaf

1 Onion
2-3 Garlic
⅓-½ Green Bell Pepper
4 Mushrooms
½ tsp Thyme, dry
¼ C Parsley (2 Tb dry)
C Romano Cheese, grated
2 Lb Ground Beef (85-88% lean)1
½ Tb Salt
tsp Black Pepper
C Bread Crumbs
1 Ea Egg
¼ C Ketchup
1 Tb Soy Sauce
tsp Cayenne Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Place the first seven ingredients into a food processor and process until almost pureed.

Place the meat in a large mixing bowl; add the vegetable mixture from the food processor and the remaining ingredients.

Thoroughly combine the ingredients.

Pack the mixture into a loaf pan to shape the meat.

Cover a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.

Invert the loaf pan onto the sheet pan and unmold the meat loaf.

Insert a thermometer probe into the center of the loaf and set to 155º F.

Bake until the set temperature is achieved, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Remove the meat from the oven and rest it, covered, for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

1 You may use a combination of ground beef, pork, veal or lamb.

Those sound great! Andy, why is romano cheese underlined? And if I don't have it, can I sub in shaved parmesan?

sure, why not? romano is just a little stronger flavoured, no one likes hairy parmesan anyway.

my italian turkey meatloaf is similar to andy's, but i saute my veggies. you can use beef, of course, but everything has to be healthy in my house or i get to eat all of it.

ingredients: (approximate amounts, i rarely ever measure)
1 1/3 lb ground turkey (93/7)
1 1/2 cups diced sweet onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup bread crumbs
2 cups grated romano or parmesan
1 cup tomato sauce
2 large eggs
1 cup dried parsley
2 tbsps dried basil
1 tbsp fennel seed
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp hot red pepper flakes
2 tbsps evoo
1 tbsp black pepper

directions:
1. saute the onions and peppers for just a minute in evoo, then add the minced garlic and saute for just a minute more so that they just begin to soften and the garlic toasts a bit, being careful not to let the garlic burn.

2. let the veggies cool off for a few minutes, then add to a large bowl and put your ground turkey into the bowl as well.

3. add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, and mix thoroughly by hand. it should be somewhat sticky but not gloppy or too loose to form into a loaf. if it is too wet, add more bread crumbs. if it's too dry, add more tomato sauce or a splash or two of milk.

4. pre-heat oven to 350.

5. spray the bottom of a large baking dish with a little non-stick cooking spray, form the meat into a loaf, and place the loaf in the center of the baking dish.

6. bake at 350 for about 45 mnutes, or until the loaf has firmed up and is cooked through.

even though this is "italian" style, i like to serve it with mashed potatoes and butter, and steamed stringbeans or grilled asparagus.

:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually follow Ol Blue's cheddar cheese meatloaf recipe, but regardless, I love meatloaf with half beef and half pork. It seems to have a texture my mouth approves of.

I'll use the recipe I really like for meatballs. Some nice Sunday gravy and pasta as sides. I've been using that recipe from the competitor in a meatball throwdown with Bobby Flay. Something like a "100 year old meatball recipe".

BT, LOL to the hairy parm.

Going to be ground beef as that is what is on hand. I'm going to rummage in the fridge now to see what veggies I can turn up. Back in 30 with a final decision. Thanks all for helping me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those sound great! Andy, why is romano cheese underlined? And if I don't have it, can I sub in shaved parmesan?

It's meatloaf, use whatever you have on hand.

When I write up a recipe, I list ingredients and draw a line to separate the ingredients used in each step. So the first seven ingredients, separated by the underline, go in the FP for the first step.

Gotcha! I may have to do this tomorrow. I don't have any gloves and my kids don't want to make the meatloaf. (I ripped my blister off by accident!)

Tomorrow I'll make the meatloaf. I think I'll try your recipe Andy.

Alix, I have another recipe but it's Ol Blue's bacon cheeseburger meatloaf so I didn't bother to post it.

Gotcha! I may have to do this tomorrow. I don't have any gloves and my kids don't want to make the meatloaf. (I ripped my blister off by accident!)

Tomorrow I'll make the meatloaf. I think I'll try your recipe Andy.

Put all the ingredients in your mixer bowl and turn it on low.

There are as many meatloaf recipes as there cooks. :chef:

They're all good. :yum:

Basic is Meat and the spices you like. Expand from there.:rolleyes:

Here's one I work from.

Surprise Meatloaf

Meat Mixture.
1 1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp. basil
1/8 tsp. pepper

Potato Filling
1'2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cup mashed taters
1/4 cup shredded chedder cheese

Preheat oven to 350 f.
Grease 9x5 pan
Combine meat mixture and press into 1/2 of pan.
Add potato filling and top with remaining meat mixture.
Bake at 350 f for 50 to 60 minutes.
Let cool and invert onto serving plate.

Experiment and enjoy.;)

It's nice to have all these recipes in one place. I will pull some of these. I can't make a good meatloaf to save my life. It's always either dry or tasteless. It's such a shame because meatloaf is one of my favorite things!

Back
Top Bottom