"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Master Chef

Z, I just thought about an Italian meatloaf I used to do. 1 lb ground beef, 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, 1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage. Italian style canned tomatoes, saute mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, lots of fresh parsley, egg and breadcrumbs. Lay rounds of sliced Mozzarella on top and pour a spiced up small can of tomato sauce over the whole thing.

Putting shoes on to go to the store.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Z, I just thought about an Italian meatloaf I used to do. 1 lb ground beef, 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, 1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage. Italian style canned tomatoes, saute mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, lots of fresh parsley, egg and breadcrumbs. Lay rounds of sliced Mozzarella on top and pour a spiced up small can of tomato sauce over the whole thing.

Putting shoes on to go to the store.
I have to start a meatloaf file so I don't lose any of these suggestions...

Old 10-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I love meatloaf...a hot country pate in reality. And I love a meatloaf sandwich the next day!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

One time my mom put a big dill pickle in the middle of a meatloaf before baking it. It was very interesting! She did the same with a big chunk of Velveeta cheese another time. It was good too.

I make my meatloaf pretty much the same way most of the time (my mom's regular recipe), but I do like to change it a little now and then. I tried Ol' Blue's recipe that called for stove-top stuffing mix once. I didn't add the cheese, as it just seemed like way too much, but the meatloaf was excellent.

I usually (well, always, except this one time) use ground beef, but the other day I had some ground pork, so I mixed it with the same amount of ground beef and made meatloaf. In addition to egg, chopped onion, garlic, milk, and rolled oats, I added McCormick's Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning, and it gave it a nice (though small) kick.

Barbara
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

"I have to start a meatloaf file so I don't lose any of these suggestions..."

That's just what I'm doing. I'm making a list of ideas and combos to try.

I definitely want to try your Italian one, Kayelle, it sounds really good.

Princess, that stroganoff sounds to die for. I got that one down too,

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good point, Barbara. Stuffing mix is a great filler, especially since they are packaged up and make no mess like cutting up bread cubes, plus the seasonings are nice. Croutons too, although it helps to smash 'em some. One especially delicious one I made using leftover Chinese fried rice. Rye bread cubes are really good too, or even the cubed up leftover pizza crusts.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Okay the hamburger is almost done except for a ping pong size lump. It looks like there's so much stuff I can make 2 loaves.

I did want to pass on a tip. If you are using cornbread, or even cornbread stuffing for filler, mix up everything else first before adding, then mix the cornbread in gently. It tastes much better if you get a lump of cornbread rather than over mixing it. It makes a big difference in the end product.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Head Chef

I have made Meat Loaf a million different ways, I just can't like it. YUCK!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I make a couple of different meatloaves (meatloafs?).

For one, I puree a combination of veggies (onion, bell pepper, mushroom, garlic, parsley, thyme) so there are no chunks and for the moisture they provide. I also add some grated Romano cheese and a small amount of cayenne for flavor rather than heat.

For the other I use bacon and shredded cheese and roll it up jelly roll style - delicious.

I don't sauce the top of the meatloaf with tomato or other stuff because I like it to have a crust. I shape the loaf in a loaf pan and turn it out on a sheet pan to bake "out in the open". The fat runs off and there's more crust.

Meatloaf recipes are endless. It' a matter of what you like.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:02 AM   #20
Executive Chef

You lot are the kings of meatloaf, I only made one version before I read this, 25% rose veal mince+25% fat belly pork mince+50% beef steak mince+ chopped onion+ a handful of fresh breadcrumbs.