Memorial Day Dinner May 27, 2019 ~ Never Forget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
IMG_3703-300x232.jpg

What better way to celebrate freedom than by a cookout? :cool: This weekend is the starting gun for the summer season, so Himself will act accordingly and grill some hot dogs. I have potato salad and a corn-tomato salad ready to go...along with a bag of sour cream and cheddar cheese potatoes if we feel like we really want to sin. :brows: I'll hide those if Himself insists on baked beans, too. Don't want a meal of carbs, carbs, carbs...and processed meat.

So, what's happening at your place for supper today?

I have a Tri Tip in the sousvide (the best way ever for cooking one) and it will be finished on the searing burner of the outdoor grill. I'll be grilling a basket of marinated veggies and some garlic toast.

Our flag is waving on the front porch in memory of those who gave so much.

Having Jeannie's son visit had us on a diet of pretty heavy dinners..

We are going lean for a week, starting with tonight's Scampi and asparagus..

Light dessert too.. :LOL:

Ross

Attachments

• Scampi and asparagus.jpg
    Scampi and asparagus.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 191
We have baby back ribs in the smoker and baked beans in the toaster oven. We will also grill a couple ears of corn and I'll make a salad with avocado, cucumber and tomato.

Lazy day.

A scoop of potato salad from the deli, frozen chicken tenders cooked in the toaster oven, cucumber & onion salad and watermelon chunks washed down with unsweetened iced tea.

First grill and dill of the summer - the half pickle closer to the rim of the plate is from this year's first batch. ~ We almost never use paper plates, but it seems more summery this way. [emoji38]

IMG_20190527_203942555_HDR.jpg

We had tortellini with a red bell pepper and red pepper pesto. I made a salad of Boston lettuce, one purple and one orange carrot, scallions, and garlic chives, with homemade vinaigrette.

There will be Swedish Visiting Cake for dessert.

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_192640.jpg
    IMG_20190527_192640.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Some neighbors and decided to get together, but none of us wanted cook and clean anything. Sooo, we went out to Blue Mesa Grill for dinner.

That place is usually packed, and you have to wait for a table. But tonight, it was almost empty.:ohmy:

I guess everyone cooked, or went to the lake. The lakes were probably packed.

CD

We had a late lunch/early dinner-Linner with DH's Old Friend
here in Hawaii.
We went to En Fuego Grill in Kapolei

Garlic Chicken Bento Box.jpg
This is my Garlic Chicken Bento Box,
what a beautiful presentation

Mochiko Chicken Salad Bowl.jpg
This is Daron's Mochiko Chicken Salad Bowl,
MASSIVE!

En Fuego Garlic Chicken Plate with Toss.jpg
and this is DH's Garlic Chicken Plate,
with Toss instead of Mac Salad
we'd never had Gluten-free Soy Sauce before...

*burp*
That was ono-licious (how we say delicious in Hawaii)
I don't think we'll need to eat again until tomorrow
afternoon :LOL:

I have a Tri Tip in the sousvide (the best way ever for cooking one) and it will be finished on the searing burner of the outdoor grill. I'll be grilling a basket of marinated veggies and some garlic toast.

Our flag is waving on the front porch in memory of those who gave so much.

It sure felt like the kickoff for summer with this meal. The new addition was the Chmichurri sauce made with my new little food processor. WOW I'll make this every time with this meal from now on. What a wonderful sauce for meat. We tasted it in Argentina, but I forgot about how great it is.

Attachments

• P5270008[1].jpg
    P5270008[1].jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 126
Fabulous looking and sounding dinners, all! CG, I could really go for one of those hot dogs....paper plates and all. :yum: Been quite a while since I've had one.

I was thinking of grilling chicken thighs, but Monday is the day for the yard crew to come - it's usually around noon but sometimes they're a little earlier or later and I didn't want to be standing out there grilling while they're mowing and edging. :ermm::LOL:

I ended up with the last of the cheese enchiladas, and a side salad. Good thing I love them, but 3 days in a row is all I can handle of the same dish. :)

I did my grilling today, since it was a lot nicer out there today! I got a lot done in the garden, too, before this, which is why I didn't want to fool with much. I got the chicken marinating yesterday, in a simple paste of garlic, cilantro, and soy sauce. I was trying to think of some vegetable to cook on the grill, then I remembered all of those butternuts I still have from last season! I found the smallest one, and it was 2 lbs, and I peeled and de-seeded it, and cubed it, Then grilled those, before the chicken. Later, I decided on a simple sauce to put on it - a Malaysian based Kecap Manis, lime juice, and sliced up chilies - I just nuked them briefly, to warm them, then tossed with the sauce. I also had some fresh pickles in the fridge, which I had made from a recipe out of James Oseland's Cradle Of Flavor, Which is what gave me the idea for the simple Kecap Manis sauce for the butternut. There are many other sambals in that book, all delicious, but mostly more complex ones, with many more ingredients, and I didn't want to fool with those now!
Grilled butternut, tossed with kecap manis, lime, and chili sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I served the chicken with a simple sweet and sour sauce, that goes great with grilled or fried foods, such as spring rolls (the first thing I ever made the sauce for). Not for diabetics, as it is just a sugar syrup, with half white vinegar, plus some crushed Thai peppers and garlic - simple, but delicious!
Spicy sweet and sour sauce, for grilled and fried foods. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai grilled chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Yesterday's Fare ;
1 1/2 Devilled Eggs (Wonder why that other half didn't make it to table... hmmm)
Grilled Muffin Burger, Roasted Corn Salad, Grilled Yellow Squash, Marinated Mushrooms,

Muffin Burger, Roasted Corn Salad, Grilled Yellow Squash, Marinated Mushrooms.jpg

and a Steamer Medley, along with a container of Ambrosia, handed over the back fence for my enjoyment, ( I'm not a fan of their take on Ambrosia, but I'll never say it out loud...)

THX, Neighbor !

Steamer Medly.jpg

It sure felt like the kickoff for summer with this meal. The new addition was the Chmichurri sauce made with my new little food processor. WOW I'll make this every time with this meal from now on. What a wonderful sauce for meat. We tasted it in Argentina, but I forgot about how great it is.
I *love* chimichurri with beef! Yum!

I did my grilling today, since it was a lot nicer out there today! I got a lot done in the garden, too, before this, which is why I didn't want to fool with much. I got the chicken marinating yesterday, in a simple paste of garlic, cilantro, and soy sauce. I was trying to think of some vegetable to cook on the grill, then I remembered all of those butternuts I still have from last season! I found the smallest one, and it was 2 lbs, and I peeled and de-seeded it, and cubed it, Then grilled those, before the chicken. Later, I decided on a simple sauce to put on it - a Malaysian based Kecap Manis, lime juice, and sliced up chilies - I just nuked them briefly, to warm them, then tossed with the sauce. I also had some fresh pickles in the fridge, which I had made from a recipe out of James Oseland's Cradle Of Flavor, Which is what gave me the idea for the simple Kecap Manis sauce for the butternut. There are many other sambals in that book, all delicious, but mostly more complex ones, with many more ingredients, and I didn't want to fool with those now!
Grilled butternut, tossed with kecap manis, lime, and chili sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I served the chicken with a simple sweet and sour sauce, that goes great with grilled or fried foods, such as spring rolls (the first thing I ever made the sauce for). Not for diabetics, as it is just a sugar syrup, with half white vinegar, plus some crushed Thai peppers and garlic - simple, but delicious!
Spicy sweet and sour sauce, for grilled and fried foods. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai grilled chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Can you post the full recipe and instructions for the Spicy sweet and sour sauce please. Thank you in advance.

We went out to a new to us burger place with craft beers on tap, for lunch. At dinner time we were still full. Later we had flour tortilla "pizzas".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom