Memorial Day Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brickman, if you have beer, you have it made!

Funny about the Memorial Day thing...our area claims it was started here, by General John A. Logan.
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0830153.html

Oh well...doesn't really matter, does it?

As we speak, Kim is mixing up the rub for the ribs we're having tomorrow. He's going to get them sprinkled down and let them set overnight. I can already smell that hickory smoke.
When he's finished with that, I'll start the potato salad. I always like to let it set overnight, to let the flavors meld.

I didn't have any dessert planned, but when I talked to my daughter last night, she promised a cheesecake. :-p

Kadesma, enjoy your babies You and I both know they won't be babies long.

To start off the weekend, Friday was more 40th birthday. A college friend came to visit that day and we went out for margaritas and Mexican food to celebrate my birthday.

On Saturday morning we woke up to a couple of inches of snow. I feel sorry for all the campers, hikers, etc. who may have had outdoor plans this weekend. We started off the day by having coffee and pastries at the local bakery. Then we went shoppping in Reno, NV for the day.

Last night we had the big birthday bash!! 16 friends and family met for dinner at the Sierra Valley Lodge in Calpine, CA. Here is a look at a partial menu. Here is what I had for dinner: Greek Prawn Linguine - Prawns sauteed with fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, garlic, capers, and feta cheese. My friends and I stayed up way past midnight and had way too much to drink. But we where responsible and had got a room at the hotel, so nobody with have to drive.

Last night was also my parents 41st wedding anniversary. I bought them a nice flower arrangement.

Today, I had breakfast with my dad, brother and a couple of friends who came for the B-day party. I had a Denver omelet with hashbrowns, sourdough toast, and coffee.

Monday, I am going to a baby shower for a coworker who works the ranger station in Truckee, CA. It is a potluck affair. I have decided to bring a spinach dip with baquette cubes.

Whew!! That is the summation of my weekend. I think I will have to go back to work to rest up. :)

I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend and don't forget to remember our soldiers who have given their lives for our country.

I'm trying to get my hubby to grill again. We will be taking the kids to the pool and relax all day and of course, have a great meal. Sigh! Thankfully, school's almost out and lately, I'm able to cook some tasty, home cooked meals.

On Friday we had our usual group who gather for drinks and something to eat after. Saturday a few of us went on a little "road trip" around the area, stopping at little small-town bars for nibbles and drinks along the way, and a ferry ride. Today hubby and I laid low. Cooked out, but mostly just relaxed. It was hot and humid, and we don't have A/C, so we just chilled out, then cooked out. A couple of cornish game hens butterflied, seasoned with sage and garlic, and some sauteed spinach and artichoke hearts. Tomorrow ... a friend of mine bought me a set of Asian-inspired place mats as a gift. I don't even know if she's aware that we have a set of Chinese rice china. So we're fixing a Chinese dinner for her. I hope it cools down a bit, though.

went to a stinkin rich friend's house for a cook out and pool party. i must have been green the entire night. incredible home, giant landscaped yard, huge pool, etc..

i kept repeating to myself that i did the right thing by keeping my mil in her own house (which we turned into a 2 family to move in to take care of her), through her final years.
and now i'm stuck in an old house needing lots of upgrades to be able to sell it.
grrrrrrrrr.

anyway, on the upside, my boy loved to pool. he fortunately/unfortunately showed no fear of the water. and i got to stretch out for a few laps. boy, do i miss swimming. used to swim a half mile to a mile a day as a kid when i was a lifegaurd.

on sunday, we went to a farmstand/ market in the highlands of joisey, and got to feed and pet pigs, sheep, llamas, chickens, donkeys, turkeys and ducks.

came home and cut a big bouquet of roses from my bushes for our neighbor who's having a party tomorrow. she a fantastic baker and is always giving us breads and cakes, so it was the least we could do.

we may head into the city tomorrow for fleet week. lots of u.s. and foreign navy ships will be docked around manhattan, inviting visitors for a tour.

By the way, Luvs, not celebrating things because you're new and your "real" loved ones are far away can become a slippery slope. You can wind up bitter and lonely and a real ba-humbug. Having moved so many times I can't count so I know whereof I speak. I've learned over the years to invite strangers to holiday dinners, to accept invitations from people I wasn't sure I liked (you might meet your next best friend there). I now know that even if I'm going to be by myself to fix myself some sort of celebratory meal or drink or something, even if I don't feel like it. The first year we were here I "forgot" Thanksgiving up until the last minute (moving in confusion). It was a slap together meal, but we still celebrated, and I made it my goal to find someone who needed a place to go for holidays. There always is someone!

:)
Mom brought some beans & salads, i'm gonna grill on my counter, drink some:whistling & i'm spending my day at a pal's. too little bah humbug in me to mope around on a summer day like today.
gots plenty of people central city. thast's far away on a day like today. whew!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom