Menu/accompaniment suggestions please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccg2007

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone - i posted this in general cooking questions - but guess this is more appropriate - sorry if anyone sees it twice!

I'm making a meal on Friday night and thinking of cooking chicken breasts - stuffed with stilton, sundried tomatoes and olives, wrapped in parma ham. I'm stuck on what to serve as accompaniments so would really welcome some suggestions please? Ideally things that i can prepare in advance.

I had thought of dauphinoise potatoes and garlic mushrooms (large flat mushrooms), but wasn't sure how well this would all go together?

Any ideas would be very welcomed - as would improvements to the stuffed chicken.

Thanks in anticipation! chloë

Hi everyone - i posted this in general cooking questions - but guess this is more appropriate - sorry if anyone sees it twice!

I'm making a meal on Friday night and thinking of cooking chicken breasts - stuffed with stilton, sundried tomatoes and olives, wrapped in parma ham. I'm stuck on what to serve as accompaniments so would really welcome some suggestions please? Ideally things that i can prepare in advance.

I had thought of dauphinoise potatoes and garlic mushrooms (large flat mushrooms), but wasn't sure how well this would all go together?

Any ideas would be very welcomed - as would improvements to the stuffed chicken.

Thanks in anticipation! chloë

Hi Chloe
I've only just seen this...we had our son & wife round last Saturday & we did chicken breasts stuffed with Stilton, accompaniments were.....

crushed potatoes
boil until just tender, drain.
then transfer to a roasting tin & pour over 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil & a tsp rock salt on each one.
bake for about 30 mins

Fresh brocolli

Buttered leeks
wash & chop leeks finely, stir fry in butter
I used 4 leeks & 4 tsp butter, add more if you wish

Also made a stilton & onion sauce
if you want any more on the sauce pm me please...I haven't written it down...it's still in my head, but it was lovely.

I made the sauce in the morning.
The potatoes take care of themselves
the leeks & broc I prepped in the morning & came ready at the same time

then Waffleberry pudding for dessert went in the oven as we sat down, also prepped in the morning.

yes please

Hi Uncle Bob - thanks for your suggestion... I never think to do Pilaf! Think i'm going to save that for another time when i can add meat and make a complete dish out of it. thanks for pointing me in the direction of something different!

Les - that all sounds great, i'm a big fan of leeks and think they'd work well. i'd definitely appreciate the recipe for your stilton and onion sauce. Would it be possible to have the recipe for your waffleberry pudding as well please?

It's the first time i'm cooking for my boyfriend's brother and his girlfriend so really want to cook something that will be tasty and memorable but which doesn't require me being stuck in the kitchen all evening!

Thanks again! Chloë

I don't see a problem with your Dauphinois and it's easy enough to prepare in advance freeing up your time!

Any roasted veggie would work i.e., asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, or a mix of roasted veggies (just don't do root veggies since you will have the Dauphinois already.)

Of course, a simple salad always works too - baby lettuce, goat cheese crumbles, pears, blueberries, thinly sliced red onion, and a simple Dijon vinaigrette.

Hi Kitchenelf, thanks for your suggestions - i had originally thought of doing a salad and the dauphinoise potatoes but didn't know if that would be too simple. I am on a bit of a mission to impress.

Your salad does sound good though. Hmmm decisions, decision....
Maybe i'll do a combination of Les' stilton and onion sauce with the stuffed chicken, roasted veg and the dauphinoise potato. i'm torn between doing that and the stuffed chicken with your salad...

It's going to be a friday night and quite a lot of wine will be drunk so i should probably take that into account...

thanks again

Hi Chloe
Just got your message.
1. I'll write the sauce out tonight & send in the morning.
2. Potatoes, wash, don't peel, when ready to go in oven, make a cross in the top with a sharp knife & push down to expose the white flesh ( don't use a potato masher, gets too messy) then drizzle the oil & sprinkle salt.
3. Waffleberry pudding is on the site, here's the link: Waffleberry Pudding

Gonna have my dinner now, then I'll do the sauce :)

Back
Top Bottom