"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Menu for a three course celebration dinner

In 3 weeks 6 days 20 hrs and 15 mins I will be celebrating the end of my diet. My fragrant wife has promised me that if I can hit my target weight I can cook one slap up meal before I go on a 2000 cal daily intake regime (I would have settled for sex, but hey ho you cant have everything) so I would really like traditional regional home cooking recipes for my three course meal.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Bolas, what region? What country? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile
In 3 weeks 6 days 20 hrs and 15 mins I will be celebrating the end of my diet. My fragrant wife has promised me that if I can hit my target weight I can cook one slap up meal before I go on a 2000 cal daily intake regime (I would have settled for sex, but hey ho you cant have everything) so I would really like traditional regional home cooking recipes for my three course meal.
And....I'm sorry, but i just have to ask.......your "fragrant wife" ? Lol!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

So you want to celebrate in the American South. Good choice; we do food well. Let's go "traditional", since you asked for regional favorites.
We'll start with marinated Apalachicola Bay oysters; they're small, so six per person won't spoil your appetite. Shuck the oysters, and put them and their liquor in a shallow pan and heating gently just until the edges curl. Lift the oysters out of the liquid and arrange in a single layer in a glass pie pan. Top the oysters with 1 onion and 1 lemon, thinly sliced; sprinkle some fresh parsley over the onion and lemon; grind a little black pepper on top. Add some vinegar, bay leaves and pickling spice to the oyster liquor and bring to a boil. Cool, strain and pour over the oysters. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least over night and for up to 2 days. Serve on plates or shells, with a fork.

I don't usually think seafood and cheese, but wouldn't want you to miss either our cheese straws or the glazed pecans, so I 'll put a couple of dishes of those on the table to occupy you while I look at the biscuits.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Cook

It's probably a good think this is an "occasion" meal, because if you eat like this more than occasionally, you have to do a lot of farm work to stay as svelte as you are now. Our main course will be: fried chicken; biscuits, with butter, molasses, pear preserves, and apple butter;the last of the turnip greens, cooked with jowl (I like it better than hocks for greens - hocks mean beans to me); corn pudding; the first of the garden peas, cooked on limestone leaf lettuce; deviled eggs; cucumber salad, also known as dressed cucumbers around here. Lots of folks would serve mashed potatoes and I sure don't mind making them; if you would like them, I'll make a chicken cream gravy for them, but then you's have to have another biscuit to sample biscuits and gravy. Your choice, but wouldn't want you to miss out on dessert.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Now dessert has a lot of possibilities. My first thought, because of the season, would be strawberry shortcake, but I make mine with a true short cake, with is a very rich biscuit. You just had biscuits and may not want a repeat. Banana pudding is always good and very Southern, but not terribly impressive. I do still have a couple of quarts of blackberries in the freezer from last Summer; I could do a cobbler or mountain pie with those and serve whipped cream with them. I have a source for "lightly pasteurized" cream and the taste difference is phenomenal. My choice would be wither a towering, fresh coconut cake or my grandmother-in-law's amazing fudge pie.

You pick, you're the guest!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Bolas, what region? What country? Lol!

I was thinking all the regions in North America, SB I am a true romantic I married on Valentines Day and my wife to me is more beautiful than any of the fragrant roses I have given her

NoraC thanks, I have 5 wks to go before I get near my previous svelteness, my much younger wife has only put on 2lbs in 11 years and I do feel guilty, I dont think I will get back to what I looked like when I was 49 yrs but I will give it a good bash.
Click image for larger version

Name:	img008.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	10121

Click image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 047.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	10122
Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

SB I am a true romantic I married on Valentines Day and my wife to me is more beautiful than any of the fragrant roses I have given her.
Bolas you are a "true romantic" what a lovely thought, to be known as someone's "fragrant wife". Your wife must be very lucky indeed! Thanks fir sharing, and now I am going to think of a menu for you from my part of the world!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Thank you but I am the lucky one, it took me a lot of goes to find someone I loved and for that person to reciprocate is my raison d'etre.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Half Baked

The meal will last longer and you won't be sweaty after.

If you were in my area I would suggest.

Antipasta platter with roasted garlic/veggies/olives/cheese and maybe a few deep fried zuccini blossoms if you can find them.

Cioppino with some sourdough bread for sloppin' it up.

A canoli or a slice of one of your cakes for dessert

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner, menu