"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

Aww, Charlie...you went to so much work. Glad your mother loved it, maybe after a couple more times your father will slowly learn to love it.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Decided to have Cincinnati Chili.
I actually never had ( or heard of ) Cincinnati chili before. What makes Cincinnati chili, Cincinnati chili ?

Larry

Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

ohmygosh, how I would love to find a "meat man" like that Kgirl!!

What great sounding dinners tonight and thanks so much for all the pictures.

We had leftover Marsala chicken thighs with mashed potatoes but I cooked some Harioct Vert frozen green beans (TJ's) with bacon and onion in chicken broth. I could make a whole meal with just them and nothing else.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I actually never had ( or heard of ) Cincinnati chili before. What makes Cincinnati chili, Cincinnati chili ?

Larry
My holiday party specialty! Cincinnati chili is distinguished by ingredients such as cinnamon and allspice. It is actually Greek in origin (in some places in Virginia you'll find it on Greek restaurant menus as "Greek spaghetti sauce'"). It's ground meat in the sauce. Sometimes "wet" or "dry" (wet has more of the grease!). It is served by itself one-through-five ways:

Over spaghetti
With grated cheddar cheese
With chopped raw onion
With oyster crackers

I think the fifth is with kidney beans? Anyone know? I'll look it up

At a restaurant you can order it plain or with any combination of the above.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm trying to clear my fridge and freezer for Thanksgiving foods so we're eating what is there. I had some stuffed Swiss chard leaves in the freezer from last summer. Think something like stuffed grape leaves. I made a Greek type tomato sauce to warm them in to change it from the first time around and served with couscous and a Greek spinach salad.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My holiday party specialty! Cincinnati chili is distinguished by ingredients such as cinnamon and allspice. It is actually Greek in origin (in some places in Virginia you'll find it on Greek restaurant menus as "Greek spaghetti sauce'"). It's ground meat in the sauce. Sometimes "wet" or "dry" (wet has more of the grease!). It is served by itself one-through-five ways:

Over spaghetti
With chopped raw onion
With oyster crackers

Very interesting to me too, so thanks Claire. Although I had heard of it, I never knew just what it was. Yet another example that one can learn something here every day!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Over spaghetti
With chopped raw onion
With oyster crackers

Thanks!
It always great to learn something new.
Definitely going to give it a go.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Aww, Charlie...you went to so much work. Glad your mother loved it, maybe after a couple more times your father will slowly learn to love it.

If he hasn't by now I doubt he ever will. But that is not even a point. You know some time you just it and say thank you for the effort that was made on your account. He kept criticizing everything. And that saying that he's not familiar with it, but was mean about. Last time I'm making an effort to make something nice for him.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 11-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If he hasn't by now I doubt he ever will. But that is not even a point. You know some time you just it and say thank you for the effort that was made on your account. He kept criticizing everything. And that saying that he's not familiar with it, but was mean about. Last time I'm making an effort to make something nice for him.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
One for all your work Charlie.

When Poo graduated from Yale, we went to a restaurant that served Turkish food. Not my favorite food. I ordered something that at least sounded reasonably good. When it came to me, just the smell made me almost sick at the table. I pushed the food around my plate and made the motions of eating. But I kept my mouth shut and thanked my son's in-laws for the meal. Fortunately, my son loved the food and asked me if I was going to finish what was on my plate. He could see my distress. I just said, "I guess I not as hungry as I thought I was." So he took my plate and ate it. Bless his little heart. But I just kept my mouth shut and didn't complain.

Like you said, you simply do not complain. You have to remember your manners. Anytime a person does something nice for me, I do appreciate it. And I make it a point to always say thank you.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thank you Addie. That's what normal people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Tags
menu