Menu for Sunday 11/16/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I just got done putting together a big kettle of home made vegetable soup for supper. Love the smell in the house of it simmering on the stove all afternoon. :yum:

We are going to a benefit dinner tonight, put on by my favorite local non-profit, that supports local agriculture. They have built a commercial kitchen and bought a mobile butchering unit. Tonight's fare will be local foods, including bison.

Chicken parm on the menu tonight. I made the sauce this afternoon and in a little while I'll be making the chicken cutlets and putting it all together. I have a nice bottle of Coppola Rosso to wash it all down.

003.JPG

Doing a Happy Dance right now
I just came home from a shopping excursion
in town and stopped into the Asian Market.
There are several smaller shops with in
this market and the one that I love the most
is the Meat Man (well, that's what I call him)
he sells Chinese BBQ Pork, Crispy Pork Belly,
roasted ducks and chickens (heads on of course)
and some other assorted tidbits.
You can only pay with cash, so I put down my last
$10 bill and asked for as much BBQ Pork (char siu) as
I could get for that.
This will be dinner later with a pot of fresh
hot steamed white rice and some steamed
Kai Lan (Chinese broccoli) I'm very happy!

Made some chili, and Vichyssoise.

img_1398226_0_686e826bd237ecc058c80c99b3ce241e.jpg

Nice looking pics, kgirl and s&p. :yum:

Daughter and grandson came over this afternoon. I threw together some wraps with what I had on hand. Flour tortillas spread with Philadelphia jalapeno cream cheese (delicious, btw :yum:), deli turkey, and sliced avocado. Rolled up and sliced into pinwheels. Fresh pineapple on the side, and pineapple muffins for desert.

The muffins were good, but most of them stuck to the pan - even though I greased and floured the tins. Reminds me of why I don't bake all that often. LOL:LOL:

Made won ton soup, fried rice, sweet and sour chicken and egg rolls, had my parents over. My mother loved t my father had no idea what Chinese food is, He hated it. After 25 years in US he has been to Chinese restaurant I think once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, Charlie...you went to so much work. Glad your mother loved it, maybe after a couple more times your father will slowly learn to love it. :)

Last edited:
ohmygosh, how I would love to find a "meat man" like that Kgirl!!

What great sounding dinners tonight and thanks so much for all the pictures.

We had leftover Marsala chicken thighs with mashed potatoes but I cooked some Harioct Vert frozen green beans (TJ's) with bacon and onion in chicken broth. I could make a whole meal with just them and nothing else.:yum:

I actually never had ( or heard of ) Cincinnati chili before. What makes Cincinnati chili, Cincinnati chili ?

Larry

My holiday party specialty! Cincinnati chili is distinguished by ingredients such as cinnamon and allspice. It is actually Greek in origin (in some places in Virginia you'll find it on Greek restaurant menus as "Greek spaghetti sauce'"). It's ground meat in the sauce. Sometimes "wet" or "dry" (wet has more of the grease!). It is served by itself one-through-five ways:

Over spaghetti
With grated cheddar cheese
With chopped raw onion
With oyster crackers

I think the fifth is with kidney beans? Anyone know? I'll look it up

At a restaurant you can order it plain or with any combination of the above.

Last edited:
I'm trying to clear my fridge and freezer for Thanksgiving foods so we're eating what is there. I had some stuffed Swiss chard leaves in the freezer from last summer. Think something like stuffed grape leaves. I made a Greek type tomato sauce to warm them in to change it from the first time around and served with couscous and a Greek spinach salad.

My holiday party specialty! Cincinnati chili is distinguished by ingredients such as cinnamon and allspice. It is actually Greek in origin (in some places in Virginia you'll find it on Greek restaurant menus as "Greek spaghetti sauce'"). It's ground meat in the sauce. Sometimes "wet" or "dry" (wet has more of the grease!). It is served by itself one-through-five ways:

Over spaghetti
With chopped raw onion
With oyster crackers

Very interesting to me too, so thanks Claire. Although I had heard of it, I never knew just what it was. Yet another example that one can learn something here every day!

Over spaghetti
With chopped raw onion
With oyster crackers

Thanks!
It always great to learn something new.
Definitely going to give it a go.

Aww, Charlie...you went to so much work. Glad your mother loved it, maybe after a couple more times your father will slowly learn to love it. :)

If he hasn't by now I doubt he ever will. But that is not even a point. You know some time you just it and say thank you for the effort that was made on your account. He kept criticizing everything. And that saying that he's not familiar with it, but was mean about. Last time I'm making an effort to make something nice for him.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

If he hasn't by now I doubt he ever will. But that is not even a point. You know some time you just it and say thank you for the effort that was made on your account. He kept criticizing everything. And that saying that he's not familiar with it, but was mean about. Last time I'm making an effort to make something nice for him.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

:angel: One for all your work Charlie.

When Poo graduated from Yale, we went to a restaurant that served Turkish food. Not my favorite food. I ordered something that at least sounded reasonably good. When it came to me, just the smell made me almost sick at the table. I pushed the food around my plate and made the motions of eating. But I kept my mouth shut and thanked my son's in-laws for the meal. Fortunately, my son loved the food and asked me if I was going to finish what was on my plate. He could see my distress. I just said, "I guess I not as hungry as I thought I was." So he took my plate and ate it. Bless his little heart. But I just kept my mouth shut and didn't complain.

Like you said, you simply do not complain. You have to remember your manners. Anytime a person does something nice for me, I do appreciate it. And I make it a point to always say thank you. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom