"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The cold is definitely getting better, but appetite hasn't really come back.

A review of the freezer gave me a container of baby limas that came out especially good as well as a container of split peas that also was exceptional. Both used the smoked turkey neck bones. Not much meat, but a great flavor, kind of like char sui - same red color too.

I took them both out to thaw because I think the next step up from soups will be beans, plus I still have chicken breast to make a sandwich or two.

I still have lots of leftovers to use up, so my grocery list for tomorrow is geared to two more fudges, butterscotch/pecan and Reese's peanut butter, both sandwiched between layers of chocolate. Guess I'd better add another casserole dish to my list!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That does sound good, but we had it with prunes and apricots Saturday, so I want something really different. I will try with the rødkål at some point. BTW, just copy and paste to spell it the same Or, if you wrote "roadkill", I would know what you meant.
Then I would use a cornbread stuffing mix. It tastes really good with pork and being rolled inside, I think the flavors would really compliment.

You can always add to the stuffing too. I like the dried scallions as a subtle change, also a little browned/drained chorizo. I get chorizo in a 8 oz. tube and cut it into quarters before freezing. One quarter is a lot of flavor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I am making chili tonight. James will have crackers with his, and I will have buttered cheapy white bread.

Barbara
Old 12-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm trying to decide between pork chops in mushroom herb sauce, boiled 'taters, salad, and rødkål or a pork roulade, roast 'taters, salad, and rødkål.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a stuffing for a pork roulade? I want to try something new. I have done it stuffed with dried apricots and prunes.

Soak some dried cherries or cranberries in booze, mix in some chopped walnuts and feta or goat cheese.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Everymom

Pot roast in the crockpot.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

Ooh - I want to eat at your house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Roasted Pork Loin (chopped mushrooms & onions sautéed in EVOO till soft, frozen chopped spinach thawed & squeezed dry added to pan, seasoned with sea salt, ground peppercorns & thyme. Butterflied pork loin spread with the spinach mixture, rolled & tied seared in pan then roasted) served with rosemary roasted Red & Yukon potatoes & onions, buttered steamed Brussels sprouts & pork gravy.

You can also add shredded cheese and herbs of your choice to the stuffing.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Head Chef

Tonight will be vegetarian chili.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Soak some dried cherries or cranberries in booze, mix in some chopped walnuts and feta or goat cheese.
That sounds wonderful. It will have to wait for another day. Of your stuffing suggestions I only have the walnuts
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Ooh - I want to eat at your house!
Thank you merstar!! It was yummy! But next time I will probably add some cheese maybe a garlic and herb cheese spread like Allouette.

My pea soup is simmering and making the house smell wonderful!!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm still undecided. I had a late lunch and am whooped from putzing around outside all morning. Who wants to cook for me? lol
I might just grill some wings. I think I've got some in the freezer...