"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
sounding good, have you considered an amuse gul? Sounds like a rich start to the progression, and could be a little heavy on the palate right off the bat.

The dessert sounds like a winner!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Part of cooking that most people dont realize is digestion of the meal should be included in the preparation it should digest well, meaning after a good meal it should rest well in your stomach and you sleep well afterwards meaning not too much fat or to me not too heavy in the the undigestable starches.If it makes you sick sick it is not a good balanced meal.However you can have a ton of great cheese but only have that some bread with crudites,fruits and maybe some cold cuts,Actually one of my favorites including asparagus,artichokes ,grapes and so on.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
amuse gul is that like an amuse bouche? and if it is what would u suggest?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
yup, it is the same thing, lemme think on it and I'll hit you up on AIM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
okie dokie thanks bro
Old 03-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

since others have chimed in, I say drop the poupon, it seems to me to be overkill and the salmon and caviar carry enough weight/flavor of their own, plus personally I don't think it needs it
Old 03-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

great, kiddo! proud of you!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi88kid
I'm serving the Salmon raw.

I might want to cure it though considering normal people might not like raw salmon.
IMHO carpaccio wouldn't be carpaccio unless it was raw! If you can get your hands on some radish sprouts a little handful in the center would not only look good but the flavors would definitely compliment each other.

I just don't know how it then blends into a coq au vin gracefully.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Unless you stick in an intermezzo or another course between the salmon and chicken, I don't like the progression of flavors between the two. The oils and strong flavors from the salmon will clash with the braising jus of the coq au vin and give an pleasant taste in the mouth. If you want to serve the salmon, then change the entree to a seafood entree with Mediterranean or French flavors. If you want to serve the coq au vin, then change the app to either a non-seafood app or a more mild seafood app like scallops.

Suggestion for the Coq au Vin: serve a lemon-thyme risotto instead of just focusing on thyme as the flavor. Lemon and thyme go well together and the acidity will bring an added flavor and dimension to the dish. Thyme by itself will be flat and one dimensional.

Suggestion for the Salmon: lose the dijon mustard but incorporate some sort of flavor into your creme fraiche like Nicoise Olive, Anchovy, a mixture of capers and harissa, etc. Make an infused oil out of chive, parsley, or chervil and use that to finish the dish.

Overall, why don't you really get creative with the dishes instead of going for tried and true classics. Since you've already gotten your scholarship, your final grade won't really matter. Use this chance to really "wow" your teacher with some new cutting edge stuff.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I agree, is it raw salmon or cold smoked and caviar? I also say drop the Poupon.Are you going to have a bit of bread with it?How ever you do it it might be nice to do a bruchetta or crostini type thing with a very thin sliced lightly toasted good french or ciabatta bread rubbed with some fresh garlic and a few drops of good olive oil. Because just straight fish and caviar will stick on those tastebuds and will linger too long the bit of bread make it all come together quite nicely.I think thats why you might want to keep the salmon appetizer a bit mild.Add the creme fraich not too much and use some fresh dill as a garnish { but just a tiny bit on top}it will also add another mild flavor addition to enhance the whole thing.If you dont get to serve some wine with meal something I know nothing about it might be nice to have a bit of mineral water in between to kind of clean their palates.Add some lemon maybe to to make it fresher.
Again just my rambling and humble opinion.