"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Iron Chef !I dissagree I think thyme can be way over whelming I think a simple white wine risotto with the right amount of fresh garlic is the way to go. I agree the fish is overpowering where as a great salad might be better.How ever Im trying to work with the kid and let him do his thing.I also believe if you can displace the fish with a bit of bread and keep it really mild it can work.But you need to tone it down a bit or maybe alot.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I think you need to master the classics in order to evolve once you have mastered the classics then you go out to make the classics even better, then you evolve outside of those but you can only do that after you know the basics and have the appreciation and a good understanding of what works then you get more creative and its not easy.Its an appreciation of these that work and then you learn that what you love can make you learn how to make foods come together and then create to make it even better.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Iron Chef !I dissagree I think thyme can be way over whelming I think a simple white wine risotto with the right amount of fresh garlic is the way to go.
Can you point out where in my post that I said thyme is NOT overwhelming? Any flavor can be overwhelming if you put too much of it. I said that lemon is a nice compliment to thyme and would add more flavor to the risotto than just thyme alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I also believe if you can displace the fish with a bit of bread and keep it really mild it can work.But you need to tone it down a bit or maybe alot.
I have no idea what you're talking about by this statement. How can you displace the fish with bread? Displace means to remove. You're saying that by removing the salmon and adding bread--not to mention keeping the bread mild--the dish will become better? Now if you were to complement or supplement the salmon with bread, that's a different story.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Ok! Mr. Smarty Pants!I heard what you said but I gave my opinion I meant it can be easy to over do the thyme also I dont know if dried or fresh or how much hopefully fresh will be used if its dry its easy to over do it.
Your right I did not mean to say displace but as you said to compliment.
Relax! its a food forum not english 101.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi88kid
I'm serving the Salmon raw.

I might want to cure it though considering normal people might not like raw salmon.

Do you think there is such a one as a 'normal person'?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
Executive Chef

As a few others have said: Make up your own dishes. That way no one can compare it and it's truly your own.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
As a few others have said: Make up your own dishes. That way no one can compare it and it's truly your own.

I 100% agree. You will also have a deep satisfaction at having worked so hard and I'm sure, so successfully.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #28
Master Chef

What I want to know is how a kid can afford the caviar?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Unless you stick in an intermezzo or another course between the salmon and chicken, I don't like the progression of flavors between the two....
Ok now on the serious note: Intermezzo was exactly what I was thinking. Light sorbet would work really nice.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #30
Head Chef

Csalt, yep I think I am sorta a normal person. OK, maybe not as normal as ABC, but certainly ABnormal. Yeah, that describes me.

After thinking about the menu, and I would not opine but opinions were invited, is that it sounds a bit busy, at least for me.

I believe were I going to do such a thing, and I am not capable of it, I would concentrate on taking the simple and making it elegant. Shunning the tendency towards pizzazz. but making the dishes seem simple. I appreciate a chef who can just take ingredients and bring out their flavours without a lot of fru-fru.

Just my take on the matter.