Menu Ideas for Wednesday August 29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I will have to wait for DH to wake up and see if he is feeling any better before finalizing plans, but I am hoping to take the thin sirloin steaks I bought on sale the other day and make steak sandwiches with salad and sweet potato fries.

If he isn't up to that, I will probably take out some chicken and make soup!

What are you planning for today? :)

Hi Laurie.

I'm off to a condo bard meeting tonight so I'll do something quick for myself and dash. I may toss a burger on the grill or have a couple of hot dogs.

Grilled rib eye steak with Creole seasoning, twice baked potato with sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon bits and chives; corn on the cob; and a 2010 Red Rock California Reserve Malbec

making 'clean-the-fridge-soup' today. All vegetable. It's a bit wierd and I could use some advice.

first, I lightly sauteed "the Holy Trinity" of soup bases - onion, celery, carrot; fried some mushrooms too, then added a can of diced tomatoes, some frozen spinach balls, frozen broccoli, separately boiled a diced potato, added that....then: an odd thing: rutabaga (it was getting old); steamed it separately and added. I wasn't going to, but couldn't stop nibbling on it, so decided that if I don't add it, I might eat the entire rutabaga myself....so tossed it into the soup pot. Seasoned it with Club House lemon-pepper seasoning.

Now it's so very very thick, I want to add a can of coconut milk, or a bottle of Peri-Peri sauce.....but I just tasted it, and it's not bad as is....(if you like veggies, I guess).

I have to feed my hubby and a laborer he hired to help him build a complex stair to our deck.

It's a hot sunny day.....what was I thinking?

so my question: would you add the coconut milk at least? or more water....or serve it as a vegetable stew? Good grief, it got so huge I had to move it to a larger pot.

How about adding some broth, chicken, beef or vegetable. That would thin it and add some flavor.

BTW, the trinity is celery onion and pepper. Celery, onion and carrots is a mire poix.

I'm going to smoke some ribs to which I'll add a guava/rum glaze. I'll probably boil some tiny new potatoes then flatten them before deep frying served with some kind of dipping sauce

I have chicken thighs in the slow cooker with tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic. I'll add mushrooms later and serve over rice cacciatore style.

LP- steak sandwiches sound delicious!

We have had way too much starch lately (staying with a friend, plus some bad fast-food choices), so tonight is going to be a yummy, starch-free toss everything in the pot kind of meal. So far I'm thinking ground beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, and whatever else I think to throw in. :yum::cool::yum: I might just add stuff until the pot (15 quart) is full and then freeze most of it in meal-sized batches for later.

Last edited:
just got back from manchester.my son & his mum drove over,picked me up & took me into manchester to see a film & have a late lunch(great having your arm in a sling!!).saw expendables 2....entertainment pure & simple....brill film & we ate here...red hot buffet...chinese,thai,tex mex,indian & italian all under one roof,superb food,city centre,£8.95 per head...sorted!!
Red Hot World Buffet

just got back from manchester.my son & his mum drove over,picked me up & took me into manchester to see a film & have a late lunch(great having your arm in a sling!!).saw expendables 2....entertainment pure & simple....brill film & we ate here...red hot buffet...chinese,thai,tex mex,indian & italian all under one roof,superb food,city centre,£8.95 per head...sorted!!
Red Hot World Buffet

Looks like a wonderful place. I got a kick out of them listing Cajun Chicken under "Mexican Food".

Red Hot World Buffet

Sounds like a great time out Harry :)

Movie sounds great as does the meal

We ended up doing leftovers the other night and salads last night so tonight will be
Chinese. Need to peruse the take out menu to see what strikes the fancy tonight.

Back
Top Bottom