Menu - Thu., March 22, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sounds good, jpb. my mil used to make chicken paprikash. do you have a recipe?

dw promised to make pork chops today, probably shake-n-bake. i'm guessing with nuked spuds and asparagus or broccoli.

Linguine & pesto with bell peppers, leeks, & broccoli; chicken strips with a light lemon sauce, another side will be light & lemony pea salad. Up in the air about what bread I'll use though. Also, dessert is iffy...

Pick up dinner tonight. SO is having a salad in a taco shell with chicken and I'm having some soup and lamejun (Armenian food with a seasoned ground meat mixture baked on a thin, flat, round dough crust).

Supposed to be hot and humid today so I may not want to cook. I may just take a break today and let the pizza place do the cooking. LOL

sounds good, jpb. my mil used to make chicken paprikash. do you have a recipe?

dw promised to make pork chops today, probably shake-n-bake. i'm guessing with nuked spuds and asparagus or broccoli.
Venison Paprikash
For 4 – 6 main course servings:

2 lbs. cubed deer rump ( ¾ ” cubes)
3– 4 medium sized yellow onions, coarsely chopped
1-tsp. Minor’s beef stock base
4 TBS sweet paprika
2 TBS hot paprika
10 green peppercorns
6 juniper berries (optional)
2-3 bay leaves (optional)
1-2 cloves minced garlic (optional)
Water to cover
Shortening (butter, lard, etc.)
Sour cream
AP Flour
Heavy kettle with tight cover (e.g. Dutch oven)

Coat venison cubes with flour and brown in shortening
Remove cubes.
Add more shortening, chopped onions and sweat to draw water.
Add optional garlic, 3 TBS sweet paprika, 1 TBS hot paprika, green peppercorns,
and optional juniper berries.
Stir to mix ingredients over medium low heat.
Add browned venison cubes.
Add water to cover, optional bay leaves, and ~ 1 tsp. of Minor’s.
Bring to a low boil.
Reduce heat to a slow simmer.
Cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 2 – 3 hours.
In a separate pot, brown 2 TBS flour with butter.
Add 1 TBS sweet paprika and 1 TBS hot paprika
Slowly add and incorporate ½ - 1 cup of the broth from the venison cooked above.
Stirring well, bring to boil and remove from heat.
When cooled, but still warm, incorporate ~ 1 cup of sour cream.
Mix the contents of the Dutch oven with the sour cream mix (or visa versa)
Store the venison with sauce in quart jars.
Refrigerate at least 1 day before reheating and eating.

Thursday Lunch: Caprese Pizza for a Main

Ciao.

Had a lovely Caprese Pizza for lunch and after, a fennel with arugula salad with a lovely vinaigrette with a slight drizzle of lemon ...

Have a nice day.
Margi.

I noticed cabbage was on sale for 49 cents a pound, and I have ground beef. Either stuffed cabbage w/ cranberry sauce & boiled potatoes, or beirocks & borscht.

I've got brats, beer, onions and even brat buns from the bakery. Guess what's for dinner.

I sliced up two onions and am slow cooking them, covered in a skillet, in about a beer and a half. The bakery buns are about the length of a brat or hot dog, but more like a hoagie roll consistency. Mmmmmm!

I was hoping to avoid a trip into town for any groceries until tomorrow, so worked with what I had - which wasn't much...

Had two chicken legs (backs attached) that needed to be used. Hacked them up, tossed them into the crock pot with two lonely hot Italian sausages that were lingering in the freezer (thawed and removed from casings) and some veggies. Slopped together a can of mushroom soup with a few scoops of honey habanero mustard and about half a can of beer. Poured that over the meat/veggie mix in the crock pot, gave it a quick toss to coat, cranked 'er up to high and walked away.

Can't honestly say how this will turn out, but my fingers are crossed that's it's good :ermm:

Attachments

• Dinner 20120322.jpg
    Dinner 20120322.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 179
FluffyAngel said:
Linguine & pesto with bell peppers, leeks, & broccoli; chicken strips with a light lemon sauce, another side will be light & lemony pea salad. Up in the air about what bread I'll use though. Also, dessert is iffy...

It was Amazing! All of it, but no dessert & no bread. The light & lemony pea salad was a great accompaniment. It really cut the heavy flavor of the rest of the meal.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some great advice yesterday. Even hubby said it was very good. (That's second to the highest compliment from him). He cleaned his whole plate which he is very finicky & usually does not clean his plate unless he really really likes something.

We went out for Ethiopian.

The floor show was amusing.. 3 women that must have had it recommended to them but they were lost and seemed scared to look foolish in front of each other. I had to chuckle when one calls someone to find out what to order and she said "I don't want to know which meat to get, just tell me which number to order".

Made DH Thai scallops with rice and stir fried veggies to take to work.

I am still fighting this sinus infection, plus swallowing and breathing problems and am back on prednisone AGAIN (just weaned off it) which takes my appetite away and makes foods taste different than they should...among other symptoms. So, I am finding it hard to find something to eat. Think I will run to the store and get some deli scalloped potatoes - one of the few things that seems to go down okay.

Back
Top Bottom