"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I know, I know. I'm a day early but I thought I'd keep you all posted anyway. Just got started. The pork cooked in the slow cooker overnight and is shredding nicely and am about to make the pork meat mixture. Got the husks soaking (2 hours!) and masa halfway done. Guess I should get to work and stop lazing around. dh is really excited about these tamales. I'd better clean out some room in the freezer for my 5 dozen+ tamales. Anyone feel like coming over? I'll have plenty to go around...

Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I can be there in about three hours.
It sounds like you're off to a good start.
Have fun and enjoy.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #33
Cook

Don't be surprised if it takes 3+ hours for actual steaming before the masa pulls cleanly away from the husk. There are always a few surprises for first-time tamale makings. Keep an eye on them and keep testing! P.S. A pound of husks will yield about 86 tamales including the culls and the ties. I always make tons of extra pork/chicken shred with the seasonings and then use it in taquitos and enchiladas later. Easy to thaw and reheat in whatever recipe.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Thanks BlueHeron! That is very helpful. I knew after reading the recipe that it would be an all day project. 3 hours of steaming? I was asking about that earlier, my recipe say 45 minutes but texasgirl's recipe said 2+ hours. I was also wondering how to tell when they are done, thanks for answering that question for me too. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #35
Cook

You're welcome. Can't wait to hear how they come out! Homemades are so incredible. The down side is that everyone will love them and want more and more and more - it's hard work!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Alright, I barely finished putting together the red chile & pork tamales before Callum needed to be fed. My pot is not tall enough to put them in there vertically so I had to place them in the pot horizontal, does this mean I need to rotate them? Or should I not worry? Kitchen is a mess but I still need to make the green chile, chicken & cheese tamales. Will go clean a bit and then make more mess. :)
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #37
Cook

If you have extra husks, fold them over and use to separate between layers. If not, it won't hurt to scoot them around a little, but I usually just stuff mine in and let 'em ride. (And, yes, I understand how your kitchen looks about now ). Remember, the meat's already cooked, you're just going for the husk flavoring and getting the masa done.

Cindy
Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #38
Master Chef

I can't even find a steaming pot Waiting for sister to get home and hopefully, she will have one. They are expensive here. The cheapest pot with basket that I can find is $50.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #39
Cook

I know what you mean. I have to split mine up between pots and really watch the water unless my sister comes down - she has a bunch of gonzo steamer pots that I lust after. I'm waiting to find a good-sized basket for the turkey fryer pot, then I'll just load it up and throw it on the stove.

BTW, how's your lake over there, TG? We're down almost six feet and sitting in the middle of a tinderbox.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I can't even find a steaming pot Waiting for sister to get home and hopefully, she will have one. They are expensive here. The cheapest pot with basket that I can find is $50.
I hear ya tg! I just bought one of those folding steam racks to put in my biggest two pots. They were $6 at Target. I figure I want to know how much I like them before investing in the right equipment.

I just finished the second batch of tamales. They are steaming now. There isn't anyway to overcook them right? I figure just keep steaming them until I'm positive they're done. Dh is really excited, and keeps telling me what a great wife I am. Then I told him, I'd save the dishes for him until he gets home. Kitchen should be roped off until I get a fire hose in there! Just kidding, it's not that bad. Dinner should be ready about 7pm and I'll fix some pinto beans too. I ended up making about 3 dozen tamales. I think I made the masa to thick but we'll see but I spread it thin on the husks. We'll like it like that, just a little masa but a lot of filling. I'm hungry now!