"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Thought I'd pass on the way I do my chiles, I don't like to deep fry so, I fooled around with a tempura batter, anaheim,or poblano chiles and pepper jack cheese. This is what I came up with. I just buy a box of tempura batter mix, mix to package directions, then slice my chiles the long way, remove seeds and ribs..I then dry them and dip into the batter and place face up like a boat on an oiled baking sheet..I don't worry if they touch. I then slice up the pepper jack cheese and fill the boat with it. Put into a 400 oven and bake til cheese is melted and batter is golden around the edges., Getting ready to go out for dinner but will post my recipe for the black bean dip when I get back if anyone wants it..

kadesma

Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Dinner was a huge hit! Red chile/pork were perfect! The green chile/chicken/cheese needed garlic salt in the mixture and definitely more cheese. I know the cheese didn't melt out but you could barely tell there was any in there. Dh highly approved, telling me to pack him 8 for work tomorrow! Also he practically insisted on a constant supply in the freezer, I'd have to say I agree but we'll see if I can manage. Now I just need to have my dessert and I'll be happy!

Old 01-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #43
Master Chef

Good!! I'm glad it all turned out. Now, If mine turns out as good. Sis has a steamer pot, so, I don't have to go out and buy one. Is everyone else ready for dinner??
Old 01-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #44
Master Chef

I've recently heard from someone, who lived in Mexico for the last two years, that though Mexico is famous for its peppers, most mexican meals don't contain them at all. They are researved for special meals, and used sparingly. The person stated that true mexican meals are far, far different than what we would expect. Americans tend to think tex-mex is true Mexican cuisine.

Does anybody have a genuine sampling of true Mexican recipes, the stuff that the average citizen would make in their home? If so, then I would be ecstatic if the recipes could be posted.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, we're in. Chicken enchiladas here. Gonna try Barbarainnc's recipe for enchilada gravy.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I got everything out and was about to start and the phone rang..Youngest daughter, having mild contractions so everything is on hold for now..Baby was due the 29th. of Jan, so we shall see...I just might go ahead, but not sure yet..Everyone have a wonderful dinner. Sorry I had to back out. NUTZ If nothing happens, will go ahead..I'm not excitied at all !!!

kadesma
Old 01-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Kadesma... I think daughter having a baby is a pretty good excuse for backing out.

Good luck and Congrats! Keep us up dated.

smiles and hugs, T
Old 01-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #48
Master Chef

Take her a tamale, kadesma!!
Just joking!! How exciting!! Let us know what happens!
Old 01-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Pds,Texas, will let you know Right now just waiting for the call to come,stay, run, Ethan was 3 weeks early so, let's see what litle Olivia does...Hey Texas, she would love tamales, the girl loves to eat..Dh always looks shocked on sundays at the amount she can put away and even tho pregnant, still looks small from behind..Pds, I hate backing out, but, will make the meal when she gets home from the hospital, or in the next couple of days..The baby just might decide to WAIT

kadesma
Old 01-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

thought of dessert yet?

There's some really good looking flan recipes in the Desserts Thread (the part underneath) that would go well with all the great Mex food being prepared tonight.

sorry, couldn't get the link to copy here