Mexican food night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Dina has decided on Mexican food for this week's group menu on Saturday. Hope you don't mind me putting up the thread, Dina.
Who's in??
I'm in. Not sure what I'll make yet, except tamale's and guacamole. Never made tamale's before, but, I found a website that makes it look a little easier than I thought it would. I think I'll make this too. Is that mexican enough if I make the tamales?:mrgreen:
What are you making.

Last edited:
Want to check with the kids first..Will get back to you then. But, count me in:LOL: It's fun doing this,I don't have to decide what's for dinner:LOL:

kadesma

I'm not big on Mexican food, but I do make a Mexican stuffed pepper dish that's awfully good. Since I have everything on hand, including whole sweet peppers in the freezer, I think I'll fix some this week.

Constance said:
I'm not big on Mexican food, but I do make a Mexican stuffed pepper dish that's awfully good. Since I have everything on hand, including whole sweet peppers in the freezer, I think I'll fix some this week.

Same here, Connie. Would love to see your recipe (in another thread), as I enjoy stuffed peppers. I have a few I like, as well. TIA:)

mish said:
Same here, Connie. Would love to see your recipe (in another thread), as I enjoy stuffed peppers. I have a few I like, as well. TIA:)

you can post it here, it's for what we're making and recipes for them. Unless you just want to do a new thread with it.

estoy adentro

texasgirl said:
Dina has decided on Mexican food for this week's group menu on Saturday. Hope you don't mind me putting up the thread, Dina.
Who's in??
I'm in Texasgirl.:)

Nothing like a good Mexican pizza!:mrgreen:... I haven't had fajitas in a while, maybe I'll try that with some homeade habanero salsa and tortilla chips and a Corona or two...

Constance, that Mexican stuffed pepper dish sounds awesome! I'll have to do a search.

I found this recipe and I think I'll give it a try. This is the website I found it at http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food.recipes.cocinas.html There is a lot of recipes here you all my be interested in. We will be doing this probably on Friday, since dh is working sat & sun.

Tamales (Chile, Meat, Cornmeal-filled Corn Husks)

Yield: 5-6 dozen
Steaming Time: 45 minutes
Freezes Well
Corn Husks, Masa,*Water Chile con Carne para Tamales** Recipes below.
Assembling Tamales

1. Rinse corn husks and soak in warm water until pliable.
2. Spread the center portion of each husk with 2 tablespoons of masa mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon* of chile-meat filling.
3. Fold the sides of the husk toward the center, the bottom of the husk up, and the top down. Tie each tamale with a corn husk strip.
4. Pour 2 inches of water into a large steamer. Arrange tamales on a rack in steamer above the water level.
5. Steam tamales for 45 minutes (Longer at high altitudes. May also be steamed in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes at 15 pounds pressure.)
* Varied amounts may be used.

Masa(Cornmeal Mixture)
Yield: Filling for 5-6 dozen tamales
6 cups masa harina*
2 cups lard
3 1/2 cups warm water,
2 teaspoons salt approximately
1. Combine the Masa Harina and water in a large mixing bowl to make masa. Set aside.2. Cream the lard and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl using a mixer at medium speed.3. Add the creamed lard to the masa and mix well.
* Six cups commercially prepared masa may be substituted and the water omitted. Masa Harina is available in the cereal section of most grocery stores.

Chile Con Carne Para Tamales (Chile-Meat Filling)
Yield: Approximately 6 cups
Cooking Time: Approximately 45 minutes
1 1/2 pounds beef or pork, stewed and shredded
2 cups meat broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lard
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon comino
1/2 cup Red Chile Powder*
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Combine meat and lard in a large skillet and fry meat at medium heat until browned.
2. Add the flour to meat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add the chile powder, broth, and seasonings to the meat. Cook at medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.

Last edited:
My recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs of pork or beef, stewed and shredded, does anyone know how to do that? I need specifics...

I think I'll do some of the tamales with this pork filling and some with just green chile and monterey jack, maybe some chicken? How does this sound?

Last edited:
corazon90 said:
My recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs of pork or beef, stewed and shredded, does anyone know how to do that? I need specifics...

I think I'll do some of the tamales with this pork filling and some with just green chile and monterey jack, maybe some chicken? How does this sound?
Cora, when I do shredded meat for enchilladas, I sometimes do it in the oven, but most times I put the meat into the crickpot add about 1/4 cup of chicken broth for pork or chicken and beef broth for beef, then let it cook til it shreds easily with two forks, the last hour is when I add my flavorings, onion, garlic. I find addding them at the start of cooking tends to diminish the flavor...I have started them at night say at 9 and let the meat cook all night, by morning all done add the falvor and then let cook and shred even more with my hands..Hope this helps. It takes longer in the oven and I find the meat is not as tender, but it's good.

kadesma:)

Thanks so much for your help kadesma! Have you done it in a slow cooker before? Could I just follow the same directions you already gave me? I've decided on making them with pork but am unsure of what cut of meat to use, what do you use kads?

corazon90 said:
Thanks so much for your help kadesma! Have you done it in a slow cooker before? Could I just follow the same directions you already gave me? I've decided on making them with pork but am unsure of what cut of meat to use, what do you use kads?
Cora, when I use pork, I get a loin or tenderloin, I love the pork shoulder but it has so much more fat and I hate picking through the meat to get it all out. So I stick with the leaner cuts. I know I said crokpot, but meant slow cooker, so just follow your cookers directions, and I would add the broth that is what I do in mine.. I'd also add my flavorings more towards the end of the cooking time. Sorry if I mixed you up, I have a one track mind so slow cooker and crockpot are one and the same to me:ROFLMAO: Can't wait to see how it turns out...

kadesma

I can't do this one as it is Madeleine's birthday party that day and she will get to choose the food. So unless she chooses tacos, I'm out. Darn it! I will be following along and reading your recipes with great interest. Remember to take pix!

Alix said:
I can't do this one as it is Madeleine's birthday party that day and she will get to choose the food. So unless she chooses tacos, I'm out. Darn it! I will be following along and reading your recipes with great interest. Remember to take pix!

DH is working on Sat, so I'll be making this on Friday! Why don't you do the same Alix?
Thanks for all your help kads! I was thinking tenderloin too. It's a lean piece of meat and I think it'll shred nicely. Yum! I'm excited!

*Slapping forehead* DUH! Why on earth didn't I think of that?? I will do that. Friday night mexican it is!

I love Mexican food. Besides Asian dishes Mexican is the my next favorite food that I like to cook. This recipe is not an authentic Mexican recipe, but it is one that I love to make.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

12 jumbo pasta shells
1-lb. ground beef
1 ½ cups picante sauce (mild or medium, to taste)
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1-4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese, divided

Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain well. Cook ground beef in a skillet, stirring occasionally to break up meat, until brown. Drain off fat.

In medium bowl, combine picante sauce, tomato sauce, broth, cumin, chili powder, mix well. Add ½ cup of the sauce mixture, chilies, and ½ cup of the cheese to beef. Mix well. Stuff shells with beef mixture. Spread half of the remaining sauce mixture in a 10-inch round baking dish. Place stuffed shells in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce mixture over stuffed shells. Bake, covered in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 4 servings.

corazon, this is the tamale's that I found and I am making.

Also, my nephew in law, who is hispanic, uses pork shoulder as does his mother.

Last edited:
Looks good tg! I really like how the website lays it all out and has lots of pictures. I'll print that out to help me along for sure. We'll be able to compare notes since we're making the same thing. What a major production though! I'll have to go by Target and get a steamer that will fit in my large pot.

Back
Top Bottom