"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Master Chef

Mexican food night.

Dina has decided on Mexican food for this week's group menu on Saturday. Hope you don't mind me putting up the thread, Dina.
Who's in??
I'm in. Not sure what I'll make yet, except tamale's and guacamole. Never made tamale's before, but, I found a website that makes it look a little easier than I thought it would. I think I'll make this too. Is that mexican enough if I make the tamales?
What are you making.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Fajitas
Bean dip
Salsa!!

Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Want to check with the kids first..Will get back to you then. But, count me in It's fun doing this,I don't have to decide what's for dinner

kadesma
Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm not big on Mexican food, but I do make a Mexican stuffed pepper dish that's awfully good. Since I have everything on hand, including whole sweet peppers in the freezer, I think I'll fix some this week.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I'm not big on Mexican food, but I do make a Mexican stuffed pepper dish that's awfully good. Since I have everything on hand, including whole sweet peppers in the freezer, I think I'll fix some this week.
Same here, Connie. Would love to see your recipe (in another thread), as I enjoy stuffed peppers. I have a few I like, as well. TIA
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Same here, Connie. Would love to see your recipe (in another thread), as I enjoy stuffed peppers. I have a few I like, as well. TIA
you can post it here, it's for what we're making and recipes for them. Unless you just want to do a new thread with it.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
estoy adentro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Dina has decided on Mexican food for this week's group menu on Saturday. Hope you don't mind me putting up the thread, Dina.
Who's in??
I'm in Texasgirl.

Nothing like a good Mexican pizza!... I haven't had fajitas in a while, maybe I'll try that with some homeade habanero salsa and tortilla chips and a Corona or two...

Constance, that Mexican stuffed pepper dish sounds awesome! I'll have to do a search.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I found this recipe and I think I'll give it a try. This is the website I found it at http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html There is a lot of recipes here you all my be interested in. We will be doing this probably on Friday, since dh is working sat & sun.

Tamales (Chile, Meat, Cornmeal-filled Corn Husks)

Yield: 5-6 dozen
Steaming Time: 45 minutes
Freezes Well
Corn Husks, Masa,*Water Chile con Carne para Tamales** Recipes below.
Assembling Tamales

1. Rinse corn husks and soak in warm water until pliable.
2. Spread the center portion of each husk with 2 tablespoons of masa mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon* of chile-meat filling.
3. Fold the sides of the husk toward the center, the bottom of the husk up, and the top down. Tie each tamale with a corn husk strip.
4. Pour 2 inches of water into a large steamer. Arrange tamales on a rack in steamer above the water level.
5. Steam tamales for 45 minutes (Longer at high altitudes. May also be steamed in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes at 15 pounds pressure.)
* Varied amounts may be used.

Masa(Cornmeal Mixture)
Yield: Filling for 5-6 dozen tamales
6 cups masa harina*
2 cups lard
3 1/2 cups warm water,
2 teaspoons salt approximately
1. Combine the Masa Harina and water in a large mixing bowl to make masa. Set aside.2. Cream the lard and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl using a mixer at medium speed.3. Add the creamed lard to the masa and mix well.
* Six cups commercially prepared masa may be substituted and the water omitted. Masa Harina is available in the cereal section of most grocery stores.

Chile Con Carne Para Tamales (Chile-Meat Filling)
Yield: Approximately 6 cups
Cooking Time: Approximately 45 minutes
1 1/2 pounds beef or pork, stewed and shredded
2 cups meat broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lard
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon comino
1/2 cup Red Chile Powder*
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Combine meat and lard in a large skillet and fry meat at medium heat until browned.
2. Add the flour to meat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add the chile powder, broth, and seasonings to the meat. Cook at medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs of pork or beef, stewed and shredded, does anyone know how to do that? I need specifics...

I think I'll do some of the tamales with this pork filling and some with just green chile and monterey jack, maybe some chicken? How does this sound?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
My recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs of pork or beef, stewed and shredded, does anyone know how to do that? I need specifics...

I think I'll do some of the tamales with this pork filling and some with just green chile and monterey jack, maybe some chicken? How does this sound?
Cora, when I do shredded meat for enchilladas, I sometimes do it in the oven, but most times I put the meat into the crickpot add about 1/4 cup of chicken broth for pork or chicken and beef broth for beef, then let it cook til it shreds easily with two forks, the last hour is when I add my flavorings, onion, garlic. I find addding them at the start of cooking tends to diminish the flavor...I have started them at night say at 9 and let the meat cook all night, by morning all done add the falvor and then let cook and shred even more with my hands..Hope this helps. It takes longer in the oven and I find the meat is not as tender, but it's good.

kadesma