"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-29-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Michelin star

we have a michelin star chef coming to work at our restauraunt from the http://www.lortolan.com/alacarte.htm (we are doing a tasting menu)
i was jus wondering if michelin star cooking is all its cracked up to be and would like some information about it..thanks inadvance

Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

does any have any insight to this type of cooking?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

My understanding is that a restaurant receives the star or stars, not the chef. Sometimes I will read about a restaurant loosing a star when a chef or owner changes.

We have a Japanese restaurant in Amsterdam with a Michelen star. There are other restaurants around with a more European approach. It is not a type of cooking, but a level of quality and finesse.

I have never had the good fortune to eat at a Michelen restaurant. Let's hope he or she is a nice person as well as a good cook.

Pam
Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Lots of Michelin star chefs/restaurants in London, and the SE of England, Gordon Ramsay, amongst others :D

In order to be awarded even ONE Michelin star, the chef needs to be something really special. One of my favourite London chefs is John Torode (he's an Australian), but he thinks he'll never be awarded a Michelin star because you have to go through his bar/grill/bistro area to get to his 'posh' restaurant area. All I can say is that the Michelin Inspectors are going to miss a real treat!

So, yes, I'd say that a Michelin star chef is a big deal! Certainly there was a case in France a couple of years ago of a chef who committed suicide because he had been informed that one of the Guides (not Michelin) were taking away one of his stars and, in effect, demoting his restaurant.. Now I think that's taking it too seriously

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2798627.stm
Old 03-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Please help me Ishbel. Is it the restaurant that recieves the star or the chef?

I have mixed feelings about Ramsey, but do think he can cook.

Perhaps it would be an idea for COOKINGONGAS to google him for more info?
He does have a site.

pam
Old 03-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Pam - As far as I am aware, it is the restaurant that is awarded the star, but obviously the chef is the biggest part of the restaurant's award

You are right, Gordon Ramsay certainly can cook. I am lucky enough to have to travel to London on a regular basis for work. AND get taken out to some pretty special restaurants, too (I certainly couldn't afford to eat there if I was paying!). Ramsay is a brilliant chef - even if he is a little 'abrasive'. I take it you saw his TV programmes?

I think Cooking on Gas prefers to use us as a google site!

Hmmmm, now you've got me wondering about chef vs restaurant, Pam... I did a google search for Raymond Blanc's restaurant where I have eaten twice (both times wedding anniversary treats from my husband and we stayed overnight - not cheap but great experience!). It says it is Blanc that has the Michelin stars, rather than the restaurant - or that was how I read it. Have a look and let me know what you think.
http://www.orient-express.com/web/ol...troduction.jsp
Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Yes, I did see some of his programs. I used to avoid him because of how he treated people. I did enjoy the series where he went in to help improve existing restaurants. We usually get those programs a few months after they are broadcast in the UK. We have BBC 1 and BBC 2 on the cable so we miss out on the other programs. Sigh.

Lucky you getting to eat the food!! For me at this point in time a take away Chinese is a treat. Perhaps one day...

Pam
Old 03-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Only since the family have fled the nest, Pam - before that eating out at posh restaurants was a treat once or twice a year or when we were taken out for business dinners!

Have a look at Raymond Blanc's place, I've put the url in my previous post.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
Head Chef

Would imagine the star would be for the restaurant. Remember one of Ramssy's programs where he went in to save a restaurant that had one Michelin star, and apparently maintained it even though the chef had changed. As I recall the place lost it on the next Michelin visitation.

Also, Michelin supposedly takes into account in addition to food, the wine, the decor, and the service, all of which may stay with the restaurant once the star chef has left.

Just a thought.

Ishbel, we're going to London before long, would you recall the name of John Torode's fancy place. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Yes AuntDot, his restaurant is called Smiths of Smithfield - adjacent to the old London meatmarket called Smithfield. It's on 3 or 4 floors. He's an Aussie and a really great chef - calls a spade a shovel, but not given to the tirades and swear-fests of Gordon Ramsay! Well worth a visit on your trip. BUT, I know that the restaurant gets booked up a long time in advance, so it might be worth having a look online to see if they have their own website. However, the bistro bit and the bar seemed less heavily booked - but that may have been because both times I've eaten there it has been on a weekday, not the weekends!