"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef
My husbands schedule is predictable, he rarely works late, but when he does work late he calls ahead to let me know. If not then I eat and he just reheats whatever I made.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #12
Head Chef
Hmm. No magic stepford wives style tricks then. OK.

My husbands times are becoming increasingly variable. Officially the day ends at 6pm, but last night we had an appointment outside the city, and on the way back, at 11 pm I found myself sitting in a bar near his office while he raced in to check messages etc. Now, I can't prepare for that, so we ate out. lol.

Normally I guess that I don't know, but the window is between 7pm and 10pm. It just as as yet, no children..yet, so I guess I become the organised woman who preps then baths and dresses for supper....when ever that is!

Thanks for sharing prep tips everybody

lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
Master Chef
As far as prepping - I just do whatever I can do that won't jeopardize the quality of the meal.

For stirfries, I have all meat & veggies cut up & sauces made, & everything in the fridge. Then all I have to do when he gets home is throw on the rice & stirfry.

For cutlet sautes, I have the cutlets already pounded thin, my seasoned flour in a ziplock bag, & any accompanying veggies ready to go.

For pasta, I have as much of my sauce finished as I can do ahead of time, & have the big pasta pot full of water on low, so it takes far less time to come to a boil when I need it to. Salad is made - minus dressing - & in the fridge.

Any little bit I can get done during the day, or at least ahead of husband's arrival time, helps in a big way in the long run.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Currently, it's just my 20 year old son and I....daughter is away at college. Between his own college schedule and his work schedule...and my own work schedule I came up with a very easy system.

I have ceased to cook anything during the work week. Never a conflict this way, and it keeps the expectations level.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Yep...prep as much as I can before hand and then have him call when he's about 30 minutes away from home. If dinner takes longer than 30 minutes to cook...well, he just has to wait.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I get really aggervated with DH does not arrive when he says he will. When not travelling, dinner is usually around 6pm - if he gets off late without calling me in an acceptable time frame then he eats by himself. He is getting much better though, so I can't complain too much anymore. I am with the others, though, I usually get all the prep done when I put my son down for his nap so all I have to do is cook.

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote