"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I simply can not handle a whole meal. So I graze all the time. I keep rice cakes on hand. Sometime I put PB on them and pop it into the zapper oven. It melts the PB and it runs through the rice cake. Tastes like fresh roasted peanuts. I also keep a box of Cheerios on hand. I never eat them as cereal with milk in a bowl. They are one of my grazing snacks. Fresh fruit is another snack for me. Oranges, pears, plums, etc. I also like to eat a tomato with a salt shaker in the other hand. I do have to peel it first though. Same with the fresh fruit. Then about once a year, on one of my shopping forays, I buy the fixings for a salad. I know I can't eat that raw roughage. But I don't care. After 35+ years since the surgery, I still miss eating salad. So I fix me a big bowl, drench it in HV dressing. let it sit and soften the salad. Then I pig out. I know I am going to pay for it for about the next two or three days. But I don't care.

I also make a salad of canned veggies. Beets, wax beans, green beans, etc. I keep the cans in the fridge. I also like a bowl of steamed veggies with butter. YUM! I am a night person by nature. So most of my snacking is done after 4 p.m.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I simply can not handle a whole meal. So I graze all the time. I keep rice cakes on hand. Sometime I put PB on them and pop it into the zapper oven. It melts the PB and it runs through the rice cake. Tastes like fresh roasted peanuts. I also keep a box of Cheerios on hand. I never eat them as cereal with milk in a bowl. They are one of my grazing snacks. Fresh fruit is another snack for me. Oranges, pears, plums, etc. I also like to eat a tomato with a salt shaker in the other hand. I do have to peel it first though. Same with the fresh fruit. Then about once a year, on one of my shopping forays, I buy the fixings for a salad. I know I can't eat that raw roughage. But I don't care. After 35+ years since the surgery, I still miss eating salad. So I fix me a big bowl, drench it in HV dressing. let it sit and soften the salad. Then I pig out. I know I am going to pay for it for about the next two or three days. But I don't care.

I also make a salad of canned veggies. Beets, wax beans, green beans, etc. I keep the cans in the fridge. I also like a bowl of steamed veggies with butter. YUM! I am a night person by nature. So most of my snacking is done after 4 p.m.
I love rice cakes with hummus or cottage cheese and berry jam
Another favourite is canned creamstyle sweetcorn or peas with a tsp of mayo and pepper stirred in.

We don't get canned beets, only pickled beets in jars. Are the cans pickled too Addie?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I can't ever remember seeing pickled beets in cans, just cooked beets, either sliced or tiny ones.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I love rice cakes with hummus or cottage cheese and berry jam
Another favourite is canned creamstyle sweetcorn or peas with a tsp of mayo and pepper stirred in.

We don't get canned beets, only pickled beets in jars. Are the cans pickled too Addie?
No. We can get pickled ones though. We can get sliced, whole or diced beets in a can. And we can get small cans big enough for just one person. Or large cans, big enough to feed a family of four. Just plain. I keep all my canned veggies in the fridge so I can make a quick veggie salad. And I get the small cans.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I can't ever remember seeing pickled beets in cans, just cooked beets, either sliced or tiny ones.
Same here. The pickled ones are in a jar. With or without onions.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
No. We can get pickled ones though. We can get sliced, whole or diced beets in a can. And we can get small cans big enough for just one person. Or large cans, big enough to feed a family of four. Just plain. I keep all my canned veggies in the fridge so I can make a quick veggie salad. And I get the small cans.
Wish we had those here! I love beets but peeling them always stains my hands pink for days
I like the pickled beets but sometimes I just want them plain

Old 03-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wish we had those here! I love beets but peeling them always stains my hands pink for days
Wear gloves. I have a whole box of them that Wintrhop gave me. I use them for everything. Including peeling beets. If you leave some of the root on, the skins just slide right off. You don't even need a knife. Sometimes I will buy the fresh ones, cook them up and then grab a whole one with the salt shaker and eat them just like that.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Wear gloves. I have a whole box of them that Wintrhop gave me. I use them for everything. Including peeling beets. If you leave some of the root on, the skins just slide right off. You don't even need a knife. Sometimes I will buy the fresh ones, cook them up and then grab a whole one with the salt shaker and eat them just like that.
I've tried but for some reason I can't cut or peel anything with gloves on. Can't feel what I'm doing and I end up cutting myself or things slip out of my hands

Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I've tried but for some reason I can't cut or peel anything with gloves on. Can't feel what I'm doing and I end up cutting myself or things slip out of my hands
Leave 1 inch of the top on and the tail when cooking them. I slip the skins under running water. Leaving top and tail on, and slipping the skin under water, reduces the amount of "bleeding." Or, if you can get golden beets, they taste about the same and don't bleed.

When I used to do a lot of dyeing of fiber, I hated wearing gloves (or I'd always forget and have to play in the pot/with the fiber without gloves on). I bleached my hands afterwards to get the dye off. It works re: beet-juice stains on the hands as well.

There was that time a {...} missionary came to the door. I had gloves on that were stained "red." (Actually, I was dyeing wool fuchsia, but I won't quibble about the color.)

"Hi, can I share the message of ... with you?" Missionary
Me: "Sorry, this is a bad time, I have something dyeing on the stove." (This with my arms held up as if I had just stood at a scrub sink and was about to go into surgery).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone turn tail and run down my driveway that fast.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
You can usually get the stains off your hands with vinegar.

As CWS wrote, leave 2 cm of the stem and the whole tail and boil them. Then put them in cold water and when you can handle them, slip the skins off. You don't lose any of the beet flesh that way. You keep the good antioxidants in the beets instead of getting them in the water and on your hands.

My issue with beets is that the ones at the store are so disreputable looking. The stems and tails are gone and there are cuts in the skin. Or, I can buy beets with the leaves on: four beets in a bunch for $2. And most of those have cuts in the skin.