midterm question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
ok guys heres the deal sense me and a few others are a little more advanced in the class we are going to be given a "mystery basket" and we will have to make an entree out of that basket. Now im not sure what kind of meat im going to get but theres some possibilities. I could get steak, pork loin, some sort of fish not sure which kind, or chicken what do you guys think I could make.

If i got steak i already know i'm going to make steak au poivre.
If get fish I think I am def gonna bread it and fry it maybe with panco brad crumbs and sum kind of finely chopped nuts.

Any ideas would be good

there will be a starch or veggie, and it needs a sauce so i can use things like olive oil, wine, stocks, i just dont think i can add a different meat or a veggie.

i was thinking maybe coq au vin but with chicken instead of rooster.

If this is a midterm...don't you agree it's cheating to seek answers here? If the purpose of the exam is to show how you think on the fly, seeking suggestions can have the appearance of not being able to pass without the assistance of others. Wouldn't you rather present your own ideas for judgement?

I think he's just doing research, Vera. That will help him make an informed decision.

Kid, just plan your menu, make a list of what you need, and put it in the basket!
As far as the menu goes, for a mid-term, I suggest you do the thing you do best. This is not the time to try something new.

Constance said:
I think he's just doing research, Vera. That will help him make an informed decision.

Kid, just plan your menu, make a list of what you need, and put it in the basket!
As far as the menu goes, for a mid-term, I suggest you do the thing you do best. This is not the time to try something new.

Maybe...I saw him asking 'what do you guys think I could make' as asking what to make. When you work in a kitchen it's very very very bad karma to pass off someone else's creation or creativity as your own. Taking the praise for something you didn't prepare or create is about as disrepectful to another team member as you can be. So, when I see it's a test, and then see that ideas are being solicited, I think what I think. No big deal, either way....just a chef pointing out a potential landmine to an aspiring chef.

Doesnt seem like tsi is asking for a recipe, but just ideas, much as if one did research in a magazine or book for this midterm. tsi, since you already have great ideas for steak and fish, I would agree with Constance and just do what you prepare best, and dont try something new at this time.

Kid, if the teach is smart you probably cannot out guess him/her.

Were I to prep for that test (thank goodness I am beyond tests) I would take five ingredients at random and try to figure out something to do with the stuff.

And would make very sure I was totally familiar with the 'pantry' the goods that are available for you all to use.

Those babies can be a life saver.

Don't think you might get the usual. Think about what you might do if you get a can of tuna, rice, an orange, a red peper, and scallions.

OK, that one is sorta easy.

But what if you get ground lamb, a potato or two, a couple of tomatoes, a corn on the cob and some tortillas?

The fun of cooking, at least to me, is learning to do something new.

And trying to come up with a dish with ingredients tossed at me is a gas.

Anyway would prep for the exam by trying to think about using some ingredients you have not considered as being paired and coming up with a dish or dishes.

Just my take on things. Good luck.

Personally, I would go with the Martin Yan School of Thought: Everything is in the sauce. Decide on a universal type sauce to prepare, such as Mongolian, Schezuan, Sweet & Sour, etc. Once you have the sauce, any meat, fish, seafood, or even tofu can be added, along with some vegetables, to complete the meal.

I am not looking for to rip off anyones ideas thats not how I am. I was just asking for some basic suggests and I would bill of that

Ex. You could say do an encrusted fish and I would choose what to encrust it in and what sauce to serve it with.

I would never want to take someone elses idea because then there would be nothing for me to be proud of

We used to do a filet mignon, rub it with Dijon, and dip in a bowl of multi-color peppercorns. Cook that side first on the saute side, not the grill side, flip, cook for a bit, and finish in the oven. Some sort of Jack Daniel's sauce might be good.

We would also take one of those Japanese curly shredder machines and do a potato. Coat a piece of grouper with some Dijon mustard, wrap in the potatoes, saute on both sides and finish in oven if necessary, top with a mustard beurre blanc. An almond-encrusted grouper would be nice too.

An avocado salsa (take pretty much the same ingredients as guacamole but leave them big - sliver the onions though) and top a piece of grilled salmon with it.

Last edited:
So we had a choice between pork and a cornish hen and everyone chose pork sense its a little easier then the cornish hen so i decided to be different and cook the hen. I did a pecan and roasemary encrusted hen stuffed with apples. served over peppered rice with carmalized carrots and an apple juice sauce.

my down sides were that the rice was a little undercooked and the hen was a little over cooked. I am an idiot and cooked the hen at 325 for a longer time and not at 400-450 for a short time. I forgot the smaller the bird the higher the temperature and the less time.

I would have given myself a C+ because I was so dissappointed in myself but they said I was being to hard on myself and they gave me a B+. Although they gave me a cornish hen so I can try again at home and get better.

You learned something - and you did GREAT! I'm proud of you. Nice choice and good to be different too! You paired the flavors well.

Back
Top Bottom