Misleading Food Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my all-time favorite oxymorons, FAT-FREE HALF & HALF!

Half & half is, as it's name suggests, half cream and half milk (or pipe tobaco, but that's a DIFFERENT half & half). If you remove the fat from cream, you get skim milk. If you remove the fat from milk, you get skim milk. Therefore, fat free half and half is, hands please....?

Actually, what you're getting is a chemical potion formulated to look and taste like half-and-half, with a fat content low enough to meet the federal guidelines for a "fat-free" label. If you look at the ingedients on any brand of fat-free half & half, you will find the following five ingredients: nonfat milk, milk, corn syrup solids (sugar), artificial color, and sugar. Most will also contain carageenan, which is a seaweed extract designed to thicken the skimmed milk and give it a "creamy" consistency. It's also been known to cause, in some people, a really bad case of the Step-and-Fetch-its.

Last edited:
:)Got another no explanation needed.Pigs in a blanket.

Which pigs in a blanket, the breakfast sausage rolled up in a pancake type, the hot dog rolled up in a Pillsbuy crescent roll type, or the ground meat and rice rolled up in a cabbage leaf type?

OK I give up. What are Kibbie and tipsy fish?
Kibbie or kibby is a dish that is made with cracked wheat and ground meat that can be eaten raw:ermm:, or baked. Never tried it myself. Tipsy fish is fish fillets, soaked 24 hours in beer (hiccup), and then battered and fried. Both are considered hors d'oeuvres.

Thanks expat. I'm more educated now.

Check the photo thread. I've invoked your name there. I assume you're somewhere near Ukraine????

Palygorskite adsorbent.

Thanks expat. I'm more educated now.

Check the photo thread. I've invoked your name there. I assume you're somewhere near Ukraine????

Palygorskite adsorbent.

Where in the world do you find this stuff??? Only a wandering Tomcat could have found the Ukraine from Kentucky:LOL: No wonder you were gone so long!! If you had caught a flight from the Ukraine shivering in the wheel assembly of a Fokker or a Yak you would have arrived in Astana, Kazakhstan 4 hours later. So, no, we're not that far away. :ROFLMAO:

How about "Imam Bayaldi"-The Imam Fainted ( eggplant stuffed with onionand garlic) or - Kadin Budu-"Lady's Thighs (Turkish Meatballs)?!

it would make sense that a bawdy serving of kadin badu would often followed by the imam bayaldi... :)

Back
Top Bottom