"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 PM   #11

I enjoy your meals, Claire, even if I don't get to eat them...and expect I'm not alone!

Once we are into the third (or fourth!) quarter of life things like this get a bit "different"...but you can take it to the Bank that your children will always venerate "Mom" in the kitchen, and sharing around successful techniques, knowledge (noting both successes and failures!) that we can sort of "perpetuate" how far our generation(s) have taken cooking in NA is a reward unto itself...

I find it much harder to cook for my own diminished appetite (used to be able to "down" at least 16 oz of steak, with veggies to match, and then tackle dessert!)(thats not happening now!), likewise to the lower metabolic rate, the "reflux" issues and health things...

I was getting a tooth extracted last week, and the dentist gave me a speech on the "body wearing out" and how we will undoubtably "outlive our teeth" nowadays, I replied "I had hoped to put it off until I truly 'liked' 'soft foods'"....

Fortunately, this came out at a non-critical point, that he could stand back and get his "hoot" without injury to me...

Lifter

Old 12-16-2004, 02:35 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I am fairly lucky, my parents and sister appreciate when and what I cook for them, and they are not afraid to be harsh, which is good (occasionally). But they do not share the love of cooking and food that I do.

My girlfriend appreciates my cooking (even if the deal is I cooks, she cleans) but wishes I wouldn't dirty so many things as normally by the time I have finished the kitchen looks like a warzone where cleanliness has been vanquished in battle. While she doesn't have the passion I have for it, she will listen while I rave about some obscure ingredient, fabulous new deli/market or recipe that I find. I guess it is easier when she knows I'm going to cook up some treat for her because of it :). However she has never said a bad word about my cooking (apart from "too salty, "too spicy") which annoys me since I think she is being kind all the time, even though I tell her I would prefer honesty (so I won't make the same mistake), but she says she is being honest (so maybe I'm just a culinary genius...HAH!).

Unfourtunately my girlfriend is not a fan (one may even say petrified) of cooking, and she is especially scared of cooking for me because I always critique and pick something wrong with my own cooking, she thinks I would pick her apart. Of course I would do nothing of the sort and would love it if she cooked for me, even if it was just once.

However I am lucky to have friends that enjoy cooking and eating good food as much as me. Which is especially lucky when I live on college as I have an ally when people constantly question "Why do you go to such bother with food?" when I don't eat the constant staple of pasta with tinned/bottled sauce, packaged/instant meals and sauces, fast food etc.

My answer always is "Because I enjoy good food". And that is why me (and you I'm sure), take the time each day, hours before dinner time, even before noon, to prepare a marinade or rub and coat our meat or whatever, or prepare a curry or stew and just let it sit out letting the flavours develop.

Sorry for the essay :).

Old 12-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Clare..........I don't have any foodie friends either and DH could care less about what is put down in front of him [with a few exceptions] So I really understand where you are coming from.

As far as your friends and neighbors.........perhaps [and I mean this in a NICE way] the middle eastern theme was a bit over the top for your first go at cooking as a group, I would suggest that you try your next invite to a more reigonal theme instead and kinda ease them into more exotic [for them not you] foods. Work your way up from italian into chinese, thai and so on. But go reigional to start with and see how that works first. Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
As quckly as I fell in love with my husband if he was a picky eater I truly believe I couldn't have married him. Is that terrible???? When I started cooking that first week we knew each other he would jump around the kitchen saying "I'm so lucky, I'm so lucky, I can't believe I found someone that cooks like this" - I knew it would work and 9 weeks later I snagged him! LOL

I "had" a friend that wouldn't eat anything that was too colorful!!!!!!!!!! Go figure!!!!

A lot of times when someone has a dinner at their house (we have a group of REAL foodies!!!) the hostess/host will e-mail the recipes they want the others to bring. If someone is uncomfortable making it they just go early and either the host/hostess helps them or several of us go early and we all cook together.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I'm lucky as my dh does the same thing, thanks me sincerely after every meal and says it's like living with a chef. He kissed me today and thanked me for all the work I am doing for Christmas just for the two of us, I am very fortunate.

Amber I so get what you're saying about the England thing. It's changing but all my new friends are fish, chips and sausage roll eaters. A curry after many beers is about as adventurous as they get.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I "had" a friend that wouldn't eat anything that was too colorful!!!!!!!!!! Go figure!!!!

Don't tell me; she went on to become a hospital dietician.

Cats
Old 12-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf

Don't tell me; she went on to become a hospital dietician.

Cats
ROFL, cats!!!!!

Elf, I wouldn't have married mine either if he was picky! Heaven knows, I wouldn't know how to cope with that one! Around here, with deepest thanks to the Fates, everyone seems willing to eat anything that won't eat them first! And I am very, very blessed!

Kyles, give that husband of yours a hug and kiss from ALL of us here!!!!! What kindness!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles

Amber I so get what you're saying about the England thing. It's changing but all my new friends are fish, chips and sausage roll eaters. A curry after many beers is about as adventurous as they get.
Kyles - I find it amazing that your experience of English eating habits is so different to mine! I lived in London for a number of years, and found that most Londoners were very adventurous in what they would eat - I don't htink there is a cuisine in the world that is not available in London - and I tried a LOT of them there! Maybe it's living 'oop north'.... but surely more than curry houses have penetrated Lancashire?!

We're lucky in Edinburgh - we have restaurants from many, many ethnic backgrouds... the funny this is, that it is Scottish foods which seem to be difficult to find!
Old 12-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ROFLMAO Catseye - it was a "he" and he went on to lose his wife who apparently liked VERY colorful food!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:11 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
What I have found Ishbel, is that people are prepared to try new cuisine out (having said that my village has three curry houses and four Chinese and that's it for eating out!), but there is still a resistance to trying new foods in the home environment, cerainly amongst the people I mix with. Even Colin, the dh, was pretty surprised at what I would cook on a daily basis, and I don't consider myself to be a very good cook, resourceful perhaps, but I don't do anything outside the norm in terms of technique etc.

Our two supermarkets in town bear that out by the foods that they stock, very traditional run of the mill English fare and very dull cuts of meat and vegetables. There are alternatives but you have to look for them, and most people don't, they settle for the norm.