Mitte Woche! Whats on the menu 3-9-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Meatball sliders for us, with a marinara sauce and provolone. Onions fried loaf style.:yum:

Baked cod and a salad.

Tonight is cod baked in Campbell's cream of shrimp soup. I have seen variations of this recipe in newspaper clippings and church cookbooks going back to the late 40's. The early recipes called for frozen cream of shrimp or lobster soup, I use canned.

1 pound of fish fillets
1 can condensed cream of shrimp or lobster soup
S&P

Place fillets into a greased baking dish, S&P to taste, top with condensed cream of shrimp soup and bake in a 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes until it is hot and bubbly.

Some recipes call for the addition of vegetables, a splash of sherry or a topping made of crushed Ritz crackers or slivered almonds tossed with melted butter.

This idea is also good for the emergency shelf. A can of condensed cream of shrimp soup and a small can of crab, shrimp or solid pack tuna heated and served over buttered toast with a side of peas. Nice comfort food for those nights when the snow is blowing outside and even the pizza delivery man stays off the roads! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I put a T-bone steak in the fridge last night to thaw (DH saw it and said, hey, let's have that! lol) so we'll sear it and serve with baked potatoes and a green salad.

I have a couple of pounds of bacon thawing. I'll cook them in the oven and we'll have BLTs tonight.

Nothing exciting here. Leftover tuna casserole and the rest of the boiled shrimp.

Baked cod and a salad.

Tonight is cod baked in Campbell's cream of shrimp soup. I have seen variations of this recipe in newspaper clippings and church cookbooks going back to the late 40's. The early recipes called for frozen cream of shrimp or lobster soup, I use canned.

1 pound of fish fillets
1 can condensed cream of shrimp or lobster soup
S&P

Place fillets into a greased baking dish, S&P to taste, top with condensed cream of shrimp soup and bake in a 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes until it is hot and bubbly.

Some recipes call for the addition of vegetables, a splash of sherry or a topping made of crushed Ritz crackers or slivered almonds tossed with melted butter.

This idea is also good for the emergency shelf. A can of condensed cream of shrimp soup and a small can of crab, shrimp or solid pack tuna heated and served over buttered toast with a side of peas. Nice comfort food for those nights when the snow is blowing outside and even the pizza delivery man stays off the roads! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
That sounds interesting Bea! I bet I could wing it with my new jar of Better than Bullion, lobster flavor.

It's a glorious day here, so rib eyes will be on the grill with a grill basket of marinated mixed veggies.

That sounds interesting Bea! I bet I could wing it with my new jar of Better than Bullion, lobster flavor.

It's a glorious day here, so rib eyes will be on the grill with a grill basket of marinated mixed veggies.

I think that would work fine. I have been looking for it in the local stores and none of them seem to carry the lobster flavor.

I think the casserole would also be good if it was topped with some prepared Pepperidge Farms herb stuffing, oh the CARBS!!!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think that would work fine. I have been looking for it in the local stores and none of them seem to carry the lobster flavor.

I think the casserole would also be good if it was topped with some prepared Pepperidge Farms herb stuffing, oh the CARBS!!!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Lobster base BTB is nowhere to be found around these parts either, AB. I had to order it from Amazon. It made a mean clam chowdah.

Lobster base BTB is nowhere to be found around these parts either, AB. I had to order it from Amazon. It made a mean clam chowdah.

Hmmm. Why wouldn't you use clam base to make clam chowder? If I had lobster base, I'd make lobster bisque.

Turkey club w/ spinach & a choc cup cake, Say hello to my little friend.........

img_1458289_0_84f35fe5ab77eeecfe01a86b96279e7d.jpg

img_1458289_1_0144617defaaebd07add88a2e10ea116.jpg

Hmmm. Why wouldn't you use clam base to make clam chowder? If I had lobster base, I'd make lobster bisque.

No access to lobstahs, unless frozen and outrageously expensive! And I was messing around... Hey, it worked!

Lovely dinner as usual, S&P!

Last edited:
One of the local markets did have BTB clam base, I wonder how much difference in flavor between the two.

I just cleaned up from dinner, I had about a cup of my fishy soup mixture left. Tomorrow I will thin the mixture with some V8 juice and turn it into a bowl of soup for lunch. :yum:

Great dinner pics, Steve and Joey. :yum: Joey, I so want one of those cupcakes. :ohmy:

AB, your dish sounds like something my mom made for us back in the day, and I recall it being one of our fave comfort food dinners. Thanks for the trip back in time - I may have to try that again with clam base, lobstah, or whatevah seafood based seasoning I can get my hands on at the moment. :)

Throw together chicken tacos for dinner here this evening. I had some leftover chicken to use up, and seasoned it by trying out my newest seasoning blend from Penzey's - Adobo. It's very good - I can see using that for various TexMex dishes and ordering more. :yum:

Last edited:
Joey, are you giving us the bird? :LOL:

Steve, that is a nice crust on your piggy.

We were out and about today, so we stopped at a new place for supper. I had the Cobb salad and it was HUGE and yummy. Himself got a burger and added their salad bar. He said it was all good, except the burger was cooked on a griddle and not grilled. We have one place we've found that makes perfect burgers - this place won't replace it. Otherwise, we'd go back to Hank's. The sign said that "Alice" was in the kitchen. Alice knew what she was doing.

While we were there, the table next to us got a couple orders of Death By Chocolate for dessert: a huge slice of chocolate cake, with scoops and scoops of vanilla ice cream, and a jar of hot fudge poured over all of it. On a dinner plate! :ohmy: When we got home I baked an 8x8 pan of brownies, gave each of us a 1/16 of a slice, added one scoop of ice cream, and had no fudge. It was still good. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom