Mom's Day Dinner - 5/13/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Heading over to daughter and SIL's house for Mom's Day dinner. I'll be taking some marinated steak tips for the grill and black bean and corn salad (Cheryl J's recipe). Daughter will be supplying the green salad. Mrs. T will be kicking back, playing with the grandkids and enjoying wine.

A two parter here at the ranch..I invited gf's family for brunch of classic offerings. Eggs, sausages, bacon, home fries, waffles, etc..we'll ship them out and then my sister and brother are coming to visit for dinner which will be an easy one of cold ham and assorted salads..

We have a chuck roast and a rack of pork ribs on the smoker. The ribs will be for dinner tonight and I'll make shredded barbecued beef for later.
0513181059b.jpg

Our kids took us out for dinner last night since DIL is working today and DS left for his out of town summer job this afternoon. Just DH and I here today. We did IHOP after church and will do leftovers for supper. We have some hot dogs and chili sauce that will be reheated along with some baked beans.

Persian inspired food today. Porterhouse lamb chops marinated in a mix of cilantro, preserved lemons, garlic, s and p, and olive oil, then grilled. Side was couscous with roasted red and yellow bells, zucchini, red onions, plus more preserved lemons, black garlic, and a dressing of cilantro and olive oil, s and p of course.

Attachments

• 2018-05-13 18.55.56.jpg
    2018-05-13 18.55.56.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 95
I cook for Mother's day every year, and it is a challenge. Lot's of dietary restrictions.

This year, I made steak and veggie kabobs on Dad's Weber Genesis grill, which is just like mine, which made it easier on me. No guesswork.

Appetizer was cherry tomatoes from my sister's garden, on toothpicks with fresh basil and fresh mozzarella. I was shocked to learn that nobody in my family had ever had that combination. They liked it. My sisters fresh tomatoes were sweet as sugar. Awesome.

I used Choice NY Strip steak, with Texas 1015 onions for the meat skewers. I used red and orange bell peppers, shrooms, and cauliflower for the veggie skewers. I have to be very sparing with any kind of oil for my mom, so they were a bit dry for me, but the rest of the family loved them. A quick spritz of PAM and some fresh black pepper.

So, my work is done for another Mother's day.

CD

Neither of us has had enough spoons for much cooking for a while now. Stirling had some spoons today, so he made biksemad (Danish hash). Oh, that was really yum. There should have been pickled beets with that, but we didn't have any. We did have the eggs and bacon crumbles to put on top. :yum:

Attachments

• IMG_20180513_185623.jpg
    IMG_20180513_185623.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 103
Mom, Dad and I went to Laramie for the day. Saw both my sisters and my oldest nephew. One sister long enough to send her off to work, the other is in the nursing home there, still recovering. There was no way we could get her into the truck, so we did not get to take her to lunch.

Took the nephew out for Thai, he did not care for it. M,D &I loved it. Took nephew to Wendy's to get him lunch. I am now eating the Pad Thai he did not like.

I picked up a nice flat iron steak. It's still sitting in the fridge as I managed to fill up on junk food. So it'll be tomorrow's steak.

Last night was a rough night. So I never settled down to get some sleep. At least not until at 9:00 this morning. Slept like an exhausted baby for the next twelve hours. So I didn't get my 2 inch tenderloin pork chop. Instead I opened up a small can of baked beans that I keep in the fridge. I love them when they are cold.

I am not too sure about my Mother's Day dinner tomorrow either. I have a long day tomorrow at Winthrop. I will be just too tired to eat when I get home. He hasn't taken it out of the freezer yet anyway.

"Mothers' Day" is any day I get to spend with my kids. Since we aren't in OH right now, today was just another day in exile paradise.

I made Caprese salad on a bed of baby greens, scallops sauteed in a bit of bacon fat and olive oil piled on top of cheddar cheesy polenta, and roasted asparagus with a dusting of Parmigiana Reggiano. No room for dessert.

Attachments

• 20180513_205749.jpg
    20180513_205749.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180513_214435.jpg
    20180513_214435.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 96

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom