Mon. dinner 7/11/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Nesco Roaster old time pot roast here tonight, like I used to make.

I found a small pot roast in the freezer and added the usual suspects..whole mushrooms, baby carrots, a red potato for the SC, along with a rib of celery. Blended up a can of Golden cream of mushroom soup, a packet of Lipton onion soup mix and a cup of dry Sherry. Smells like home in my early cooking days. :yum:
What's cooking at your house?

Hmm, seems like that Nesco roaster gets a good work out KL. I'm not much for slow cookers but I might ask Dx to bring her Nesco up from the basement. It gets used only about once / year at T's giving.

We are back from vacation up north at the lake. Too much sun/ burn, a little fishing and a lot of activity on the water.

Tonight's dinner was a grilled Italian sausage hoagie w/ peppers, pepperoncini and onions and corn on the cob.

It's our last night at Loverly's, so the four of us gathered around her table and cleaned up most of the leftovers. Not many veggies, so I had nearly a quarter of a small personal watermelon, along with a smoked pork chop. We had a lot of "goodies" from our shopping spree at West Side Market, so I had 1/2 of a chocolate overload dessert known in these parts as a Bishop's Hat. It's chocolate cake and chocolate ganache with an outer wrap of chocolate fondant that is drawn up into a peaked-and-pinched top. Oddly enough, it's shaped more like the formal head covering for a monsignor...:huh:

solferino-cocked-hat-with-bow.jpg

Whatever it looks like, it tastes delicious! Rich and delicious. :yum:

Our meal was inspired by a trip we made to "town" for a tractor part. On the way we spied a mom-and-pop vegetable wagon. Yum. Yum. Yum. Loads of gorgeous fresh corn and watermelon. Picked up a dozen ears of bright green-husked corn and a bowling ball-sized watermelon

When I cleaned the corn I knew we had vegetable "gold." Some of the most beautiful and perfect corn I've ever seen. And, the taste matched its appearance.

We already had a bunch of cucumbers from Kenneth's garden and I'd taken a nice big piece off salmon out of the freezer. We feasted and had to save the melon for tomorrow.

Whiskadoodle;1472564[B said:
]Hmm, seems like that Nesco roaster gets a good work out KL. I'm not much for slow cookers but I might ask Dx to bring her Nesco up from the basement. It gets used only about once / year at T's giving. [/B]

We are back from vacation up north at the lake. Too much sun/ burn, a little fishing and a lot of activity on the water.

Tonight's dinner was a grilled Italian sausage hoagie w/ peppers, pepperoncini and onions and corn on the cob.

Yep, that little 6 qt. Nesco Roaster hasn't let me down for over 20 yrs Whiska. I've never liked not having control of the temp with a slow cooker when the Nesco can do it all with a full temp control, and do it better. Guess I'm actually a control freak. ;)

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, and dinner. :)

I had a couple of potatoes and some half and half that needed using, so this morning I made a small casserole dish of scalloped potatoes. I knew I had a slice of ham and a small bag of recently blanched fresh broccoli, so I threw everything together and baked it. A layer of shredded cheddar topped it at the end of cooking time and went under the broiler for a minute or two. I love that combo :yum: and there's enough for tomorrow, which is an added plus.

A couple of fresh picked sliced tomatoes for a side.

Last edited:
Love my little Nesco roaster. It can do almost anything. Now if I could only teach it to wash my windows...

DH emerged for about 15 minutes, then went back to bed. Neither of us travel well anymore, apparently. He did go to the store and got us a rotisserie chicken and a few ears of fresh-picked corn. I stripped the meat off and simmered the carcass with stuff, the broth is now cooling and congealing in the fridge. I've just picked at chicken meat and nuked an ear of corn. DH can do the same if he ever re-emerges.

Last edited:
Roast beef, mashed potatoes, broccoli. Lingonberry-jetost sour cream gravy and Flora's peach cream pie for dessert. Momma ate everything so she could have a slice of peach cream pie.

Roast beef, mashed potatoes, broccoli. Lingonberry-jetost sour cream gravy and Flora's peach cream pie for dessert. Momma ate everything so she could have a slice of peach cream pie.

Sounds like she still has her appetite. Glad to hear it.

Too often the caregiver does not get the recognition that they deserve. You are a good daughter CWS. Too bad every elderly parent didn't have a child like you. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom