"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
Head Chef

I bought 2 lbs of blue mussels the other day (I can only get them pkged like that without going all the way in town to a fish monger). They were really quite small, half the normal size. I usually get 30+ only I was surprised to see that this time there were 60 in the bag. But man! they were SWEET!!!

Trouble is - how many blue mussels can a single person eat in one sitting without turning blue! LOL! This is a perpetual problem for me.

So yesterday I did half in a spicy tomato sauce and this afternoon I found a recipe and did the other half in a Turkish Pilaf. Sooo good. I ate ALL the mussels and a good portion of the rice and will figure out what to do with the rest of the rice tomorrow. It had pine nuts (which did not call for them toasted - mistake on my part - should have), lots of onions, mint, a bit of tomato paste (not enough to turn the colour thou) and currents. Yummy yummy yummy.

It was sweet (recipe called for a bit of sugar) and I sort of hesitated about that. I've had a couple of tagines that, truth to tell, were a little too sweet for me with the dried fruits. I guess I'm old school, I mostly like my main dishes savoury, not sweet.

I did take pics but unfortunately I have not downloaded them nor can I remember how to post them here. I'll get there thou!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #12
Head Chef

and GG - those potatoes DO look darling. Would love to get some that size up here. OMG they must almost be like potato chips when smashed and roasted!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

Fresh tomatoes/onion/garlic/chicken broth into soup, once cooked and blended, added equal part of buttermilk, add salt to taste, serve warm not hot. It was good.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
and throwing them in the FP,
What's an FP?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mon. dinner..8/8/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
What's an FP?

Food processor.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
Head Chef

LOL... of course, it's late and too much wine, thanks!

Tags
dinner