Monday 16th July Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was waiting on you, kylie, to start the thread.

ok, so i doubt i'll be smoking since i'm exhausted from no days off of work, therefore veal and peppers has a good chance to make it in the pot.

brown the veal, add to some simmering tomatoes, add toasted garlic, dried herbs, cook down, then add green peppers to soften. finish with fresh basil.

done.

I came through for you Tom ;) :)

Veal and peppers sounds pretty good :chef:

Do you have a certain way you smoke your fish etc Tom?

no, i'll be trying it for my first time.

there was a rece nt thread about brining and smoking fish. i have to look it up. my neighbour gave us a lot of tiny trout that he caught while fly fishing this past spring. they're too smal to deal with, so i think smoking is the way to go.

It sounds interesting, I am sure you will do a grand job :)

Do you need any certain equipment?

I saw on a Jamie Oliver show the other week, he watched a guy smoking fish and he had some wooden poles set up to hang the fish upside down on, then he covered it all with some sort of tarp, gee there was a lot of smoke

Yum! Smoked fish sounds delicious right now! I wish good fish wasn't so expensive here..

I'm gonna make a nice diet dinner tonight. Just don't know exactly what yet.
Thinking chicken breast in the oven, rice, lots of steamed veggies and a good sauce made with white wine, stock, sour cream and some herbs maybe.

Grilled chicken and Chinese spinach.

I wish I knew what the real name of this "Chinese spinach" is. I've been buying it from the same Hmong guy at the farmers market for three years now. He sells maybe 6 different kinds of green leafy vegetables. When I ask what a certain type is, he simply shrugs and says "Chinese spinach." :LOL:

It's all pretty good, though.

This as close as I could find: Cook's Thesaurus: Cooking Greens

Scroll down...
Yeah, it's not amaranth, although he sells that, too. This particular vegetable tastes exactly like regular leaf spinach, but has a much thicker stalk. The stalk is actually the best tasting part, I think.

Edit: It may be "Malabar Spinach", aka saan choy. The photo looks similar:
saanchoy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm "buffalo-ing" some cubed chicken breast to put on top of a salad of romaine, diced hard boiled egg, crumbled blue, and tomato.

cold & wet here today(so what's new:(!!) needed heat & comfort so:
malaysian rendang spicy pork ball & potato curry with turmeric rice

Attachments

• PORK BALL RENDANG 001.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 001.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 159
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 002.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 002.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 155
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 003.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 003.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 153
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 004.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 004.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 158
  • PORK BALL RENDANG 005.JPG
    PORK BALL RENDANG 005.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 155
Wow, that looks delicious, Harry.
Unfortunately, it's so hot and dry here if I ate that I'd probably catch on fire... and there's a burn ban going on!

Leftover here. Probably Saturday night's leftovers.

Harry, Your pork rendang can compete with our local Malay restaurant and it looks like yours comes out on top. :cool:

I already started dinner yesterday. Made an extra grilled pork chop and ear of corn. Cut the corn off the cob for a salsa fresca and thin sliced the pork. Marinated it overnight in a half a juiced lime with some diced hot peppers and onion. Now all I have to do is finish chopping a few veggies for the salsa and it's either a cold salad or re-heat the pork and roll everything together fajita/ burrito style. And there is an avocado to toss in somewhere too.

Back
Top Bottom