"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Master Chef

Monday, 2/28/2011, What's cooking?

Split pea soup and salad.

Any plans?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Not sure yet, have rehab this morning, the laundry I didn't do yesterday and my class tonight.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Master Chef

I WAS going to make ham and beans but was tired after all the partying yesterday and neglected to soak the beans. DH has class so I'm thinking just warm up some of the leftovers in the fridge. We'll be going away next week so need to clean it out anyway.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Head Chef

Working late tonight so breakfast for dinner... Potatoes, red onion, green pepper, carrots, ham, and ruffled eggs on top...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Working late tonight so breakfast for dinner... Potatoes, red onion, green pepper, carrots, ham, and ruffled eggs on top...
ruffled eggs?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
ruffled eggs?
It's a poached egg cooked in saran wrap, it gets it's name from the ruffly look the egg white has... Great for when you don't have the freshest eggs, or you don't want spider legs trailing off your egg...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking of making a pizza for tonight. The Italian bread recipe that I have been using tastes like it would make a good crust. I've got some pepperoni, beer brats (that I'll slice) and capicola. I just need to make a mushroom run. It should be nicely loaded.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Head Chef

Ooooo, that sounds good pacanis! I think I'll make some pizza on the grill later on this week. We've got some storms moving in so it looks like soup is in order. I think I'll make some white beans and mustard greens soup with some cornbread.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've had nearly 6 inches of rain and severe storms, some tornadoes, the last several days and it's still raining and blowing. That can only mean one thing...SOUP.

I'm going to drag out my clam chowder recipe and stir that up and we'll have a tossed salad and French bread along with. Key lime pound cake for dessert.

I'm ready for spring!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
It's a poached egg cooked in saran wrap, it gets it's name from the ruffly look the egg white has... Great for when you don't have the freshest eggs, or you don't want spider legs trailing off your egg...
I would be concerned about that. There is significant info about the dangers of boiling/steaming foods in plastic wraps. The concern is the release of carcinogens that will transfer to the food. Many manufacturers' sites now specifically tell you not to us their product like that.

Try using a biscuit or round cookie cutter in the water to contain the egg until it sets.

Tags
cooking