Monday 3/26/2012 What's cookin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Pizza and salad is the plan. But that may change. Hub may want to go out for something to eat.

Any plans?

Annual Condo Meeting tonight so I'll be eating leftover roast chicken and sides. SO is on her own when she gets home.

Still have pork and cabbage left....going to have to do something with that...
Ever tried Haluski? Basically it is pan fried cabbage with egg noodles. Just got into it a few months ago. I love the stuff. I am making mine with bacon tonight. You can chop your pork up in small pieces and throw it in. I also have found a recipe with a bit of sour cream and cream cheese added. Anything goes really. Good stuff....

Here is a basic recipe
butter or oil
cooking onions
cabbage
egg noodles
tsp of sugar to promote browning
any kind of meat you like, bacon, leftover pork, sausage, weiners..

Start your onions in butter for a few minutes add other ingredients, cook for about 20 minutes until all softened and browned then add hot cooked egg noodles and season to taste. Some recipes call for sour cream or cream cheese at this point.

Last edited:
A new recipe from the card-file here tonight. It is a sesame beef pot roast.

I planning on roasting some potatoes on the side and steaming some green beans and snap peas.

Something with ground beef, since that is the only thing thawed. I have no idea what dinner is going to be. I'll have to check back in later.

Last week I started a spreadsheet of various dishes I would like to make, things that you all inspire on DC, things that I am hungry for, etc. I entered a 2nd column w/ major ingredients if they are not obvioius etc. Today I am hungry for scalloped potatoes and ham. I had none of the ingredients. Well now I'm back from the store and all stocked up. I think I'm following my own spreadsheet wrong. But I will eat well tonight.

Tonight I am having Bimini bread and a sort of bean/minestrone soup.

It is very cold, sunny and windy!

The soup is a collection of odds and ends I found squirreled away in the darkest corners of the freezer. Things originally saved for a day like today. It reminds me of "the time of want" described in Jane Watson Hopping's cookbooks. She was the original Pioneer Lady. She described late winter and early spring as the time of want because at this time of year all of the canned goods were depleted and the gardens were not producing any thing of use, a harsh time of year when people feasted on hope. If you get a chance please take the time to read her books.

Ever tried Haluski? Basically it is pan fried cabbage with egg noodles. Just got into it a few months ago. I love the stuff. I am making mine with bacon tonight. You can chop your pork up in small pieces and throw it in. I also have found a recipe with a bit of sour cream and cream cheese added. Anything goes really. Good stuff....

Here is a basic recipe
butter or oil
cooking onions
cabbage
egg noodles
tsp of sugar to promote browning
any kind of meat you like, bacon, leftover pork, sausage, weiners..

Start your onions in butter for a few minutes add other ingredients, cook for about 20 minutes until all softened and browned then add hot cooked egg noodles and season to taste. Some recipes call for sour cream or cream cheese at this point.
I have everything needed....DH is coming out, but he's not feeling great, so this might not be something he wants to try, but sounds good to me. Thanks, Rock!

Baked chicken legs and thighs (on sale .99/pound) rubbed with garlic, onion and paprika. Mashed Yukon golds with the bits of leftover cheeses in the fridge- cheddar, jack and mozzarella, and steamed haricot verte (frozen from Trader Joes).

DH starts his full time regular shift today - 3-11 pm Monday to Thursday. He actually started yesterday but Sundays are 9 am - 5 pm. So, Monday to Thursday we will have our big meal at 1 pm and he will take sandwiches, etc. for dinner.

Today it is red snapper with lemon steamed veggies and rice pilaf.

Sounds great, Rock! I will try this too! :)

I'm thinking about making Rocklobster's White Bean and Tuna Salad, served on spinach leaves.

We had pork chop (marinated in balsamic vinegar and rosemary), rocket and parmesan salad, baked mushrooms and tomatoes, and some garlic bread (as I found some stale bread in the bread bin).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom