Monday, 8-14-2017, what's for din-din?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH requested an entree salad for our repast and I have had this recipe for a lovely bread that I've been wanting to try; thought it go well with salad, so...

View attachment 27583

View attachment 27584

King Arthur Flour's recipe for Pane Bianco
Pane Bianco Recipe | King Arthur Flour

This was a fail, AGAIN, from KAF, and I SWEAR I followed the recipe to the letter, took my time, didn't rush! It smelled amazing, looked gorgeous but had the texture more like cake than bread... so incredibly disappointing, yet again from KAF! That's three strikes on them... DH said, "Please don't share this one with the next door neighbors, just toss it!"

Hmmm. This recipe was recommended to me in another forum and it does sound delicious. I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Oh my....such wonderful looking dinners! Med, Steve, Kgirl, MsM....y'all are killing me with your pics. :yum: Everyone's dinners have been so inspiring lately!

I had Chinese delivery this evening. :)

Hey Steve, what did you sprinkle on the avocado? And DANG, that steak (and the bacon and beans) look good too.

...We have no kitchen..literally. No water, no stove, no nothing. It starts to go in tomorrow...it's been a long strange trip....
You are making me give real serious thought to our next house purchase. We've always built, but this time I think we'll end up buying used. I've been thinking we could get one with nice bones that is in serious need of a real kitchen and bathroom, but now...

I hope the rest of this goes smoothly. I mean, it's about time things got better, right?

I dragged a pint of homemade meat sauce with Italian sausage out of the freezer, added an assortment of tomato things from the fridge, cooked mini ravioli that I had bought in the winter for soup, and had salads with half of the remaining salad fixings in the fridge. I must post a photo tomorrow night of what our "empty" refrigerator looks like. Not so much for you guys, but so that I have a lasting reminder of what the back of my fridge and the surface of my shelves really DO look like! I think the fridge has been full since the first day we got it.

Hey Steve, what did you sprinkle on the avocado? And DANG, that steak (and the bacon and beans) look good too.

You are making me give real serious thought to our next house purchase. We've always built, but this time I think we'll end up buying used. I've been thinking we could get one with nice bones that is in serious need of a real kitchen and bathroom, but now...

I hope the rest of this goes smoothly. I mean, it's about time things got better, right?

A very wise thought. Do you and Himself want to go through the building process again at your ages? Aren't the two of you supposed to be retired? A time of rest and pleasure?

I don't know what the market is like in Ohio, but here it is crazy. My daughter has had so many real estate agents ringing her doorbell day after day. They own a double lot and the offers she has received for that empty lot are unbelievable. Up in the millions. She has finally had to put a sign on her front door that says "No Solicitors Are Allowed. Police Take Notice." It finally stopped them from ringing her door bell. Now they just leave their card in her mailbox. That is a Federal offense and if it continues she may start to report them. One day there were eight in her box. And no two were alike.

And Happy traveling. Have a great time and enjoy your time with your family. The two of you might want to take a drive around and look to see what is available for real estate.

I made a Thai-style chicken and bell pepper stir-fry over basmati rice, with sesame green beans and cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar and a smidgen of ponzu sauce on the side.

I prepped the chicken and vegetables, then started to make the sauce. The recipe called for 2 tablespoons of soy sauce - and I was out! Dang it! So I pulled out and a bunch of Asian condiments and put together enough to hopefully taste good. It was yummy :yum:

0814171923_HDR.jpg
0814172032a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I made a Thai-style chicken and bell pepper stir-fry over basmati rice, with sesame green beans and cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar and a smidgen of ponzu sauce on the side.

I prepped the chicken and vegetables, then started to make the sauce. The recipe called for 2 tablespoons of soy sauce - and I was out! Dang it! So I pulled out and a bunch of Asian condiments and put together enough to hopefully taste good. It was yummy :yum:

View attachment 27588
View attachment 27589

Looks good. I love Maggi sauce.

How did you make the sesame beans?

View attachment 27588
View attachment 27589

One simply does not run out of soy sauce.... :huh:

Dinner looks delicious... :yum:

Ross

...Do you and Himself want to go through the building process again at your ages? Aren't the two of you supposed to be retired? A time of rest and pleasure?

I don't know what the market is like in Ohio, but here it is crazy...
Addie, the "building process" is a snap. Far easier than the kitchen remodel that Rocklobster is going through right now. It's not like Himself and I will be wielding the hammers and driving in the nails. The two homes we built in OH were great, good builders who knew what they were doing, and we weren't too far away when they were going up. The house here? The worst experience ever. It didn't help that I was in town only a couple of times while the house was going up. Himself didn't have the chance to come out daily to watch the workers, and no one was on site on the weekend. Worst. Experience. Ever.

We took a bath on our last home when we moved here, since the housing market in MA is a bit nuts. Downsized by 700+ feet just to keep the mortgage amount the same as back home. After living here all these years, and with the market recovering from the lows during the early part of the 2000s, I hope we make a killing when we sell this place. With more reasonable prices back home, we should be able to duplicate the size of this house and still end up with a nice deposit into savings. The real problem is that "used" homes are most often two-story. I'm looking at a single-floor home for the next time. And we are NOT moving into a "senior community". The last thing I want to do is live around all old people. :LOL: It's the kids in our current neighborhood that keep us young.

Thanks. Sorry, I can't tell you about the beans - it's a recipe I'm testing for a future issue of Cooks Illustrated magazine.

Wow, what an experience! I'm looking forward to hearing about this GG, once you're able to share it. :chef::)

Many years ago there was a study done on the elderly and young folks. The more time the elderly spend with the younger generations, the longer they stay more healthy, than those that don't.

The elderly need fewer medications and are more active. The elderly also have fewer heart attacks. So definitely stay out of those "senior communities." Just remember how much joy all the members here receive due to the interaction with just their grandchildren.

And just to stay on subject, I finally made that frittata. The last time I looked, I still have the kitchen sink though. Everything else went into the pan. Oh it was so good. I just can't stop picking at it.

Back
Top Bottom