Monday, 8-14-2017, what's for din-din?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had mussels with ouzo for an appy. I liked them better than Carrabas's mussels. Main was braised lamb shanks with carrots, celery, and potatoes.

Attachments

• 2017-08-14 17.29.18.jpg
    2017-08-14 17.29.18.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 2017-08-14 17.41.51.jpg
    2017-08-14 17.41.51.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 153
ohhh, medtran - now I have to go buy mussels! and I wouldn't mind that recipe with ouzo!

Had the main at around 1 or 2 as my son was passing thru on his way home. I did the grocer's own Herb Sausages on the grill with red peppers & onions. Also grilled the pannini breads. Made a Tabouleh salad (garden parsley and mint) with a couple of deviled eggs.

Was delish and thank goodness my son liked the salad and took more than half with him - I would have been eating it for days. Now I have the perfect amount for the next couple of days before I get sick of it.. :LOL:

sorry, no pics - but looked good! :rolleyes::yum:

oh oh, deja vu, did I not post this yesterday too? oh dear... sorry.

Last edited:
Carnitas are cooking in the Instant Pot. Dinner should be ready in 20-25 minutes. Pictures to follow if I remember to snap. LOL

Plain old cheeseburgers. If, that is, the hamburger thaws. If it doesn't thaw by 7, then I'm heading to Burger King again.

Last edited:
We had mussels with ouzo for an appy. I liked them better than Carrabas's mussels. Main was braised lamb shanks with carrots, celery, and potatoes.
Those look great!

The little grocery store down the street had a sale on whole beef tenderloins for $8/lb. I picked up two. I've been trying to figure out what to serve as the main course for the next get together of our dinner club, so I carved two Chateaubriand style cuts out of the tenderloins and stuck them in the freezer (along with a few steaks). Problem solved. When all was said and done, I had some scrap tail pieces left over, so I fastened them together with a strip of bacon and called it dinner.

I'm still amazed at times with what I find in that little store. This is a rural town of 3,500 people, and they easily had a dozen tenderloins in that meat case. Which leaves me wondering who buys these things. I'm inclined to believe that if I show up there in a couple of days, what's left will be marked down even further.

2qnN8Ae.jpg

Last edited:
Burgers on the grill with a side garden salad. Yummy fresh tomatoes out of the garden.

Those look great!

The little grocery store down the street had a sale on whole beef tenderloins for $8/lb. I picked up two. I've been trying to figure out what to serve as the main course for the next get together of our dinner club, so I carved two Chateaubriand style cuts out of the tenderloins and stuck them in the freezer (along with a few steaks). Problem solved. When all was said and done, I had some scrap tail pieces left over, so I fastened them together with a strip of bacon and called it dinner.

I'm still amazed at times with what I find in that little store. This is a rural town of 3,500 people, and they easily had a dozen tenderloins in that meat case. Which leaves me wondering who buys these things. I'm inclined to believe that if I show up there in a couple of days, what's left will be marked down even further.

2qnN8Ae.jpg
Beautiful!

Instant Pot Carnitas (from uncooked pork butt to tacos in 1 hour).

carntas_081417_IMG_2708.JPG

carntas_taco_081417_IMG_2702.jpg

Thank you! I've made a recipe with Pernod and it was good so this one with cream sounds even better!

Plus my neighbour, born in the heart of European mussel country, also happens to favour Pernod. I love to make any recipe that highlights it for her. I'm pretty sure that the ouzo will be a hit! I know it will with me!

Her husband just goes with the flow and drinks beer but he does love mussels. LOL

For them I would serve it with the traditional french fries and lots of cracked pepper. Although french fries are not my forte (with an accent)

DH requested an entree salad for our repast and I have had this recipe for a lovely bread that I've been wanting to try; thought it go well with salad, so...

007.JPG

009.JPG

King Arthur Flour's recipe for Pane Bianco
Pane Bianco Recipe | King Arthur Flour

This was a fail, AGAIN, from KAF, and I SWEAR I followed the recipe to the letter, took my time, didn't rush! It smelled amazing, looked gorgeous but had the texture more like cake than bread... so incredibly disappointing, yet again from KAF! That's three strikes on them... DH said, "Please don't share this one with the next door neighbors, just toss it!"

Salad was good!

greek chicken salad.jpg

Well... in that case... pick me up some too! I'll send a bunch of dragonettes to fetch them and drop you off some gems from my hoard.

Cheapest I've seen was just this week at $10.99 down from ... I think it was $25. per pound for a whole beef tenderloin. This means they ranged from about $80 to $110. per tenderloin. $Cdn dollaros$

Big investment ... but so droolingly delicious! I grind up the bits and pieces to make the most fantastic kabobs on a stick that you can imagine!

Back
Top Bottom