"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The college football BullCrapSeries finale is tonight. LSU vs Alabama. I decided on a Southern Supper since both teams are from the same league. ( Idea liberally borrowed from Pac's Weekly Pigskin Challenges).

Fried Ham Steak with Red-eye gravy. I found a flat steak with what looks like enough fat and a little round bone at 2 o'clock. Looks authentic. Never made red-eye, and it's available in only a few restaurants here in the north. Eggs either sunny side or scrambled, and I think Mashed Potatoes for the gravy, rather than hashbrowns. I made cornbread muffins at Dx's yesterday. I also put a bowl of Meyer Lemon Ice in the freezer for a dessert surprise. My, That Juice Is Good.

And just a hint for which Team i'll be rooting for, I have some Peanut brittle but wish it were Praw-leens.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Our daughter heads back to school tomorrow, so she requested her favorite dinner for tonight: Salisbury Steak.

Yes, I know it's a hackneyed old 1960's dish, but I made it for her once a long time ago and she now requests it on birthdays and other "special occasions".

The way I make it is a far cry from the old TV dinner staple. I start with a good quality ribeye and some boneless short ribs. Then I chop up the meat in the food processor, add worcestershire, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, mushrooms, and onions. The steaks are simmered in beef mushroom gravy and served over toast - with grated Swiss cheese on top.

I get hungry just talking about it!
That sounds amazing!

I will be making sausage, peppers and onions on a hoagie bun for myself and husband. My child will get a small ribeye with salt, pepper on indoor grill, finished off in the oven with a bit of butter.. hence thats the way he likes it! I really need a cheaper alternative to his need for steak every night.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

Because I was careless, we're actually having the same as last night, Vietnamese-style spring rolls. I simply forgot that I couldn't use previously frozen ground turkey if I wanted to freeze them! So I fried one batch last night, will another today. Each day will have leftovers, which I'll take to my shut-in friends tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

A couple of you have sounded apologetic about comfort food! Never! I can't remember when I last had Salisbury steak, and it was never from a frozen TV dinner. Mom floured and browned cubed steaks, then added sauteed onions, peppers, garlic and canned tomatoes. Served with boiled potatoes and a salad. I used to make it for my ex, which struck me as a weird recipe, but the steaks were cooked in canned tomato soup mixed with water and brown sugar. Didn't much care for it. Should have known THAT marriage wouldn't last 4 years!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I had a toof pulled today, so we will be having linguini with pesto cream sauce and bread. DD won't have any part of it so she wants {GASP} "chef boy ar dee" oh's
Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That picture is soooooooo pretty Andy! Would you share the recipe please?

I have another whole chicken in the fridge that should be cooked today and it doesn't inspire me.

Here it is.

Okra and Lamb Stew
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I have a couple of limes and a lemon to use up since I only took zest off of them for last night's ribs. So I have 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts marinating in lime juice, lemon juice, scallions, granulated garlic and fresh ground black pepper and a bit of water. They'll get seared in the iron skillet and into the oven to finish. Serve them with a saute of bell pepper, poblano pepper, red onion and some cabbage all cut into strips to pile into some tortillas with the chicken.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Just stuck a chicken on the roto...old Farberware electric rotisserie. I'll have a green salad with, and some french bread (fresh) with a little organic Jersey butter and home-made pomegranate jam.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not really hungry now. I think I'll save the tacos for tomorrow and if I get hungry later I'll make a salad... or a simple salad I should say, because I have very few ingredients besides lettuce and English cukes, lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Hamburgers and steak fries at our house tonight.

Tags
dinner