Monday Jan 9th - What's For Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Our daughter heads back to school tomorrow, so she requested her favorite dinner for tonight: Salisbury Steak.

Yes, I know it's a hackneyed old 1960's dish, but I made it for her once a long time ago and she now requests it on birthdays and other "special occasions".

The way I make it is a far cry from the old TV dinner staple. I start with a good quality ribeye and some boneless short ribs. Then I chop up the meat in the food processor, add worcestershire, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, mushrooms, and onions. The steaks are simmered in beef mushroom gravy and served over toast - with grated Swiss cheese on top.

I get hungry just talking about it!

Making use of what we've got in as our current money situation isn't great.
I'm cooking Quorn chicken style pieces (my Quorn addiction continues!) with onions and mushrooms, in a smoked paprika sauce. Serving a salad for me, and mum and her hubby want chips.
So basically making a meal out of a handful of ingredients. Quorn, onions, mushrooms, smoked paprika, tomato puree, and stock. Cheap, filling and really tasty :)

I got some boneless lamb leg at a really good price yesterday and cubed it up for a couple of meals. One will be tonight's lamb and okra stew with tomato. I serve this with rice.

Attachments

• DSC02092.jpg
    DSC02092.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 173
I got some boneless lamb leg at a really good price...
I wish I could find lamb for a good price here. I thought it might go down in price after Christmas, but no, it still seems to be right around $12-14 a pound. The small roasts I looked at today in the store were around $40 on average. Yikes.

I might have to wait until spring, when I can get it direct from the farm for about $4 a pound.

Beef over rice. It's a dish I used to eat at my grandparents when I visited. I don't make it quite as good as my gram did, but I like it.

I've got some cucumbers left over from last night's dinner, so tonight I'll have them with some Kogi BBQ pulled pork in soft tacos.

That picture is soooooooo pretty Andy! Would you share the recipe please?

I have another whole chicken in the fridge that should be cooked today and it doesn't inspire me.:ermm:

I have 2 dinner plans at the moment and haven't really decided which yet. I have gone back and forth twice so far. So now I will wait till everyone is home at the same time and get a vote and then there will still be someone unhappy. :(

roast beef and provolone with calif. green chilies, sandwich. using 80 calorie italian bread. got lots of fruit for dessert. with a little light cool whip. want whipped cream but not on diet.

The college football BullCrapSeries finale is tonight. LSU vs Alabama. I decided on a Southern Supper since both teams are from the same league. ( Idea liberally borrowed from Pac's Weekly Pigskin Challenges).:pig:

Fried Ham Steak with Red-eye gravy. I found a flat steak with what looks like enough fat and a little round bone at 2 o'clock. Looks authentic. Never made red-eye, and it's available in only a few restaurants here in the north. Eggs either sunny side or scrambled, and I think Mashed Potatoes for the gravy, rather than hashbrowns. I made cornbread muffins at Dx's yesterday. I also put a bowl of Meyer Lemon Ice in the freezer for a dessert surprise. My, That Juice Is Good.

And just a hint for which Team i'll be rooting for, I have some Peanut brittle but wish it were Praw-leens. ;)

Our daughter heads back to school tomorrow, so she requested her favorite dinner for tonight: Salisbury Steak.

Yes, I know it's a hackneyed old 1960's dish, but I made it for her once a long time ago and she now requests it on birthdays and other "special occasions".

The way I make it is a far cry from the old TV dinner staple. I start with a good quality ribeye and some boneless short ribs. Then I chop up the meat in the food processor, add worcestershire, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, mushrooms, and onions. The steaks are simmered in beef mushroom gravy and served over toast - with grated Swiss cheese on top.

I get hungry just talking about it!

That sounds amazing! :chef:

I will be making sausage, peppers and onions on a hoagie bun for myself and husband. My child will get a small ribeye with salt, pepper on indoor grill, finished off in the oven with a bit of butter.. hence thats the way he likes it! I really need a cheaper alternative to his need for steak every night.

Because I was careless, we're actually having the same as last night, Vietnamese-style spring rolls. I simply forgot that I couldn't use previously frozen ground turkey if I wanted to freeze them! So I fried one batch last night, will another today. Each day will have leftovers, which I'll take to my shut-in friends tomorrow.

A couple of you have sounded apologetic about comfort food! Never! I can't remember when I last had Salisbury steak, and it was never from a frozen TV dinner. Mom floured and browned cubed steaks, then added sauteed onions, peppers, garlic and canned tomatoes. Served with boiled potatoes and a salad. I used to make it for my ex, which struck me as a weird recipe, but the steaks were cooked in canned tomato soup mixed with water and brown sugar. Didn't much care for it. Should have known THAT marriage wouldn't last 4 years!

I have a couple of limes and a lemon to use up since I only took zest off of them for last night's ribs. So I have 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts marinating in lime juice, lemon juice, scallions, granulated garlic and fresh ground black pepper and a bit of water. They'll get seared in the iron skillet and into the oven to finish. Serve them with a saute of bell pepper, poblano pepper, red onion and some cabbage all cut into strips to pile into some tortillas with the chicken.

Just stuck a chicken on the roto...old Farberware electric rotisserie. I'll have a green salad with, and some french bread (fresh) with a little organic Jersey butter and home-made pomegranate jam.

I'm not really hungry now. I think I'll save the tacos for tomorrow and if I get hungry later I'll make a salad... or a simple salad I should say, because I have very few ingredients besides lettuce and English cukes, lol.

Back
Top Bottom