"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
James decided to get a few groceries yesterday, so I told him to pick up a couple "nice" steaks to celebrate his new job. He got boneless chuck steak. I like chuck steak, but I was thinking more on the lines of ribeye or something similar.

I guess we will be having Swiss steak, mashed potatoes (or noodles or rice if not enough potatoes), and corn on the cob. If I get ambitious (and remember) I will make biscuits too. Edy's Butterfinger ice cream for dessert.
I don't normally brag about my cooking (even though I love my own cooking LOL), but I have to admit that tonight's Swiss steak was the best I have ever made! Yum!!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #32
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaconista View Post
Most likely baked chicken, rice, and a veggie. Nothing special tonight since I really need to go grocery shopping.
Welcome to DC! With that name, you will fit right in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I had some pork chops in the fridge I needed to use so I rubbed em up and stuck em on the grill with some cherry wood. Served with corn an some steamed chard.

Also rubbed up some cornish hens and cooked those tonight for tomorrow.
The pork chops were awesome as were the other dishes. I am looking forward to the Cornish hens! The only thing missing on the menu was Katie's strawberry cake. *nods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Alix, I just picked up 3 striploins on sale and plan baked potatoes, asparagus wrapped in procuitto and sauted mushrooms.

There will be plenty....as long as you don't mind the hockey game on in the background!

Oh, forgot! Tony's homemade all natural chocolate coconut ice cream!
At the risk of having to run for cover, I'm enjoying tonight's game, LB. These last few games have highlighted the "home advantage!" It really is anyone's series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Come on down, Alix. There is plenty. As Glenn says, "We're as full as a tick."

Hot weather, iced tea and lots of good southern cookin'! There's always plenty of room at our table.

Omigosh!!!! The cake was fantabulous!
Is there a recipe for the cake???

Quote:
I don't normally brag about my cooking (even though I love my own cooking LOL), but I have to admit that tonight's Swiss steak was the best I have ever made! Yum!!
I love Swiss steak, but have never made it. What made tonight's extra good?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love Swiss steak, but have never made it. What made tonight's extra good?[/QUOTE]
I think part of it is that I hit the perfect stove setting and then got busy with other things long enough that it cooked to the perfect melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. I have a tendency to sometimes be a little impatient in the kitchen when it comes both to browning meat long enough and to cooking meat long enough. Tonight I just did everything right.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

barabara, what exactly is a swiss steak? i've heard of it before, but never had it nor googled a recipe.

dinner tonight for me is lots of leftovers.

from takeout the past few days, i have a choice of scungilli fra diavolo, chicken parm, escarole e fagiole, spaghetti, penne, mixed and arrugula salads, chicken chow mein, and shrimp enchiladas with mexican rice.

or i could go with leftover from the grammys production from last night. greek salad, grilled chicken, chicken picatta, garlic pita wedges, spanakopita, and roasted potato quarters.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #35
Cupcake

Quote:
I think part of it is that I hit the perfect stove setting and then got busy with other things long enough that it cooked to the perfect melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. I have a tendency to sometimes be a little impatient in the kitchen when it comes both to browning meat long enough and to cooking meat long enough. Tonight I just did everything right.
It sounds awesome. I'm in a "please share the recipe" mood tonight, so please share!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
barabara, what exactly is a swiss steak? i've heard of it before, but never had it nor googled a recipe.

dinner tonight for me is lots of leftovers.

from takeout the past few days, i have a choice of scungilli fra diavolo, chicken parm, escarole e fagiole, spaghetti, penne, mixed and arrugula salads, chicken chow mein, and shrimp enchiladas with mexican rice.

or i could go with leftover from the grammys production from last night. greek salad, grilled chicken, chicken picatta, garlic pita wedges, spanakopita, and roasted potato quarters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
It sounds awesome. I'm in a "please share the recipe" mood tonight, so please share! [/QUOTE]
All I did was brown boneless chuck steak in olive oil (I had rubbed it with garlic powder first). After it browned well on both sides I added water (plenty because I wanted a lot of gravy), covered the pan, and cooked it low for who knows how long! I'd say an hour at least, medium first (until it was bubbling good), then pretty low. Like I said, I got busy and didn't pay too much attention to the time.* When I lowered the heat I added a chunked up onion and a large can of mushroom stems and pieces (drained). When the meat was nice and tender I made gravy (flour, Montreal Seasoning, and water--shaken and added to the pan). I left it uncovered and let it cook slowly about 30 minutes. *From the time the meat hit the pan to plating it, it was around 2 hours.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, that sounds good. thanks barbara, and especially to james-for his excellent contribution to the success of the dish by executing initial logistics ( food shopping).

lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #38
Executive Chef

We had broiled flounder with crab stuffing (based on my lobster diablo recipe), bourbon glazed carrots and fresh picked greenbeans.

Craig
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #39
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
wow, that sounds good. thanks barbara, and especially to james-for his excellent contribution to the success of the dish by executing initial logistics ( food shopping).

lol.
James will love that!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #40
Senior Cook

So exhausted by the time we got home that it was chilli with chunky veg, potatoes and cheese :P Lazy but tasty!

Tags
dinner