Monday June 13, 2011 What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't feel like cooking tonight so I think I'll swing over to Katie's house, then make the rounds from there. You guys won't mind one more will you? I like all the meals listed so far. :rolleyes:

Alix, I just picked up 3 striploins on sale and plan baked potatoes, asparagus wrapped in procuitto and sauted mushrooms.

There will be plenty....as long as you don't mind the hockey game on in the background!;)

Oh, forgot! Tony's homemade all natural chocolate coconut ice cream!

Last edited:
Alix, I just picked up 3 striploins on sale and plan baked potatoes, asparagus wrapped in procuitto and sauted mushrooms.

There will be plenty....as long as you don't mind the hockey game on in the background!;)

OMG, that sounds wonderful! I could do without the hockey though. ;) I forgot I'm going out for sushi with a friend tonight! Yippee! So I'm leaving taco salad and the sizzling rice soup is tomorrow's dinner.

I decided to throw an inordinate amount of potatoes and onions on the stove to sauté, so may just go with the leftover steak tonight and save the half rack for tomorrow's lunch. I'll do up a little breakfast for dinner. I've got four eggs sitting there just waiting to be scrambled.

Sounds awesome!! The ice cream sounds great.

I put a piece of chuck roast in the 1 1/2 qt. slow cooker with a can of tomatoes and green chilies, onion, jalapeno peppers, cumin, garlic and cilantro. I will shred it. I am not sure if I will make tortillas for tacos or mix it with rice to make a casserole.

What are you planning?
That sounds great. I like chuck.

Homemade Macaroni Salad (with a tomato skin rose and parsley leaf garnish)

img_1011549_0_c8cd537dae1100f302e466839ddc17d5.jpg

img_1011549_1_6f89893efa3ef18d299e828efe790326.jpg

Cast iron pan fried Cheeseburger (American cheese, red onion, pickle, Tabasco Brand Hot N Thick Spicy Ketchup on a poppy seed Kaiser roll), homemade macaroni salad (tomato rose garnish), green salad (iceberg lettuce, red and green butter lettuce, red onion, vine tomato, Kalamata olives, green olives, anchovies and feta cheese dressed with Greek vinaigrette).

img_1011549_2_5fb7dc2c5de7d43d93aff39a32f7263f.jpg

I don't feel like cooking tonight so I think I'll swing over to Katie's house. :rolleyes:

I think its going to be taco salad here. Did I mention I don't feel like cooking? It will also be leftover night. I think there are a few items that need using up. Rice...some chicken...veggies.

Wait a minute...I just had a brain flash...we're going to have sizzling rice soup! All our leftovers will be DELICIOUS as soup!

Come on down, Alix. There is plenty. As Glenn says, "We're as full as a tick."

Hot weather, iced tea and lots of good southern cookin'! There's always plenty of room at our table.

Omigosh!!!! The cake was fantabulous!

James decided to get a few groceries yesterday, so I told him to pick up a couple "nice" steaks to celebrate his new job. He got boneless chuck steak. :wacko: I like chuck steak, but I was thinking more on the lines of ribeye or something similar. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I guess we will be having Swiss steak, mashed potatoes (or noodles or rice if not enough potatoes), and corn on the cob. If I get ambitious (and remember) I will make biscuits too. Edy's Butterfinger ice cream for dessert. :cool:
I don't normally brag about my cooking (even though I love my own cooking LOL), but I have to admit that tonight's Swiss steak was the best I have ever made! Yum!!

Most likely baked chicken, rice, and a veggie. Nothing special tonight since I really need to go grocery shopping.

Welcome to DC! With that name, you will fit right in!

I had some pork chops in the fridge I needed to use so I rubbed em up and stuck em on the grill with some cherry wood. Served with corn an some steamed chard.

Also rubbed up some cornish hens and cooked those tonight for tomorrow.

The pork chops were awesome as were the other dishes. I am looking forward to the Cornish hens! The only thing missing on the menu was Katie's strawberry cake. *nods*

At the risk of having to run for cover, I'm enjoying tonight's game, LB. These last few games have highlighted the "home advantage!" It really is anyone's series.

Come on down, Alix. There is plenty. As Glenn says, "We're as full as a tick."

Hot weather, iced tea and lots of good southern cookin'! There's always plenty of room at our table.

Omigosh!!!! The cake was fantabulous!

Is there a recipe for the cake???

I don't normally brag about my cooking (even though I love my own cooking LOL), but I have to admit that tonight's Swiss steak was the best I have ever made! Yum!!

I love Swiss steak, but have never made it. What made tonight's extra good?

I love Swiss steak, but have never made it. What made tonight's extra good?[/QUOTE]
I think part of it is that I hit the perfect stove setting and then got busy with other things long enough that it cooked to the perfect melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. I have a tendency to sometimes be a little impatient in the kitchen when it comes both to browning meat long enough and to cooking meat long enough. :wacko: Tonight I just did everything right. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

barabara, what exactly is a swiss steak? i've heard of it before, but never had it nor googled a recipe.

dinner tonight for me is lots of leftovers.

from takeout the past few days, i have a choice of scungilli fra diavolo, chicken parm, escarole e fagiole, spaghetti, penne, mixed and arrugula salads, chicken chow mein, and shrimp enchiladas with mexican rice.

or i could go with leftover from the grammys production from last night. greek salad, grilled chicken, chicken picatta, garlic pita wedges, spanakopita, and roasted potato quarters.

I think part of it is that I hit the perfect stove setting and then got busy with other things long enough that it cooked to the perfect melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. I have a tendency to sometimes be a little impatient in the kitchen when it comes both to browning meat long enough and to cooking meat long enough. :wacko: Tonight I just did everything right. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

It sounds awesome. I'm in a "please share the recipe" mood tonight, so please share! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
barabara, what exactly is a swiss steak? i've heard of it before, but never had it nor googled a recipe.

dinner tonight for me is lots of leftovers.

from takeout the past few days, i have a choice of scungilli fra diavolo, chicken parm, escarole e fagiole, spaghetti, penne, mixed and arrugula salads, chicken chow mein, and shrimp enchiladas with mexican rice.

or i could go with leftover from the grammys production from last night. greek salad, grilled chicken, chicken picatta, garlic pita wedges, spanakopita, and roasted potato quarters.

It sounds awesome. I'm in a "please share the recipe" mood tonight, so please share! :)[/QUOTE]
All I did was brown boneless chuck steak in olive oil (I had rubbed it with garlic powder first). After it browned well on both sides I added water (plenty because I wanted a lot of gravy), covered the pan, and cooked it low for who knows how long! I'd say an hour at least, medium first (until it was bubbling good), then pretty low. Like I said, I got busy and didn't pay too much attention to the time.* When I lowered the heat I added a chunked up onion and a large can of mushroom stems and pieces (drained). When the meat was nice and tender I made gravy (flour, Montreal Seasoning, and water--shaken and added to the pan). I left it uncovered and let it cook slowly about 30 minutes. *From the time the meat hit the pan to plating it, it was around 2 hours.

wow, that sounds good. thanks barbara, and especially to james-for his excellent contribution to the success of the dish by executing initial logistics ( food shopping).

lol.;)

We had broiled flounder with crab stuffing (based on my lobster diablo recipe), bourbon glazed carrots and fresh picked greenbeans.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom