Monday June 4, 2018 - What's on your plate mate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Well A/C is here. Came bright and early this morning. Nice and cold in here!

I'm not sure about dinner. I didn't go shopping because it was so hot. I'm planning on going shopping in a bit.
I feel like putting together a cheese, meat and olive (maybe some stuffed grape leaves if they look good) platter with crackers and bread maybe some fruit.

Or chicken or a dinner salad of some sort.

I think we're going to have an indoor dinner tonight. It's supposed to rain all day with a hight time of 55ºF for today (don't they know it JUNE?!).

Dinner will be orange chicken with assorted veggies mixed in and served over rice.

Spagbol, I took a chance when the heat dropped to only 22C and cooked a large pot frozen in dinners. In this heatwave we are having , I dont want to cook at all.

In our minimally stocked new kitchen, I'm going to attempt pork chops, mashed potatoes (w/gravy), steamed broccoli/cauliflower, and a salad..

First meal for just we two, in 5 months, not counting the hoards of dine out dinners we have been having..

Of course there will be coconut cake, courtesy of Pepperidge Farms.. I haven't restocked my mini dessert pans, etc.

Ross

Corngrats Ross and SO. Dinner should be good no matter what.

Still kicked off my computer which I finally got to the repair shop. It;s amazing how dependent we become with these contraptions.

Dinner is going to be tacos or burritos or something along those lines...

Ross, I missed the part where you two moved into your new place! You and Jeannie must be over the moon. I bet she will love your dinner, served at your normal dinner time, and alone time together. I wish I could send you some candles and a nice bottle of wine for your dinner.

It's nearly 2:30 here, and I still haven't decided what's for dinner.

sitting at the Residence Inn in Bolingbrook IL. They have a "mix" each nite, with some simple foods and FREE WINE!!! So its a piece if Naan with humus and watermelon and a very decent Malbec.

For some reason I am craving Chef Boyrdee beef raviolis...good thing there are none in the house and I'm already in the coolest thing I can find to wear. I haven't had CBD raviolis for going on 10 years.

Olives and cheese again tonight. Had a decent lunch as my big meal for the day.

PF, I always have a can of the Chef's mini ravioli on hand for emergencies. I don't eat them often - it's more like checking the date on the can to make sure it isn't too far past its "best by" date and then planning for an "emergency" so I can eat them. :LOL:

Well A/C is here. Came bright and early this morning. Nice and cold in here!...
Nice and cold in our house, too - but it's because I refuse to turn the heat on when it's June-frickin'-4th! Today's local high was 50! :ohmy:

We did an Early Bird dinner - that was breakfast food. Hash browns, rye toast, and a favorite egg dish Himself dubbed "dirty eggs". They're dirty from all of the chopped onions and mushrooms that are well sauteed before the scrambled eggs are added. These were extra-dirty, since some of the mushrooms were cremini. :LOL: They were dee-lish-us! :yum: Dinner done, dishes cleaned, kitchen limited to self-serve the rest of the night, all before 7:00 PM - I could get used to this!

Attachments

• 20180604_170504.jpg
    20180604_170504.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 132
I went food shopping. Picked up some cheeses from Trader Joe's including a new one for us Triple Cream Brie with Wild Mushrooms which I enjoyed.

trader_joe_wild_mushroom_brie_IMG_4300.JPG

We had Appy plate for dinner:
Starting from top clockwise Trader Joe's Triple Cream Brie, Sopressata, pepperoni, strawberries, giardiniera, Trader Joe's Gouda, Trader Joe's smoked cheese, Trader Joe's cave aged blue cheese, Trader Joe's Triple Cream Brie with Wild Mushrooms. Center clockwise port wine cheese spread, Kalamata olives and stuffed grape leaves. Crackers, Bakery sour dough loaf and a round Italian loaf not pictured.

appy_plate_060418_IMG_4304.jpg

Last edited:
Ross, congrats to you and Jeannie on your first delicious sounding home cooked meal together in your new apartment! :chef:

MsM...looks fabulous. I love appy trays in the warm weather.

It's been in the low 100's here the past couple of days, so I've been salad-ing - even though it's cool in the house. This afternoon's dinner was a loaded up salad with lots of chopped veggies, and topped with a sliced hard cooked egg.

While at the grocery store today though, I saw some great looking scallops and asparagus is only $1.99/lb, so I know what is for tomorrow's dinner. :yum:

Well, I think I finally have the sous vide tri tip down pat. Yeahhh!!!

The winning formula is a bagged well trimmed 3 lb. Tri Tip heavily seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning and soy sauce rub, cooked at 132 degrees for 3.5 hrs in the water bath, and finished on my "Wilma" searing burner on our grill.

It was perfection for us..132 degrees is our magic number. I love how the entire odd shape Tri Tip is the same degree of doneness. That's always been a battle without Sous Vide. We do love our Tri Tip in this part of the world!
For us, the cost of the Sous Vide was worth it for this alone.

Sides were roasted asparagus and a medley of brown and wild rice with herbs.

Last edited:
I made chicken in vegetable sauce, baked yams, and kale salad.

My dessert was an apple and TB's was some fruit salad.

I made the meal with my new Thermomix. It was expensive; however, with my abilities going (standing, cutting, etc.) it was worth every penny!

I went food shopping. Picked up some cheeses from Trader Joe's including a new one for us Triple Cream Brie with Wild Mushrooms which I enjoyed.

View attachment 30175

We had Appy plate for dinner:
Starting from top clockwise Trader Joe's Triple Cream Brie, Sopressata, pepperoni, strawberries, giardiniera, Trader Joe's Gouda, Trader Joe's smoked cheese, Trader Joe's cave aged blue cheese, Trader Joe's Triple Cream Brie with Wild Mushrooms. Center clockwise port wine cheese spread, Kalamata olives and stuffed grape leaves. Crackers, Bakery sour dough loaf and a round Italian loaf not pictured.

View attachment 30176
Lovely selection of savory goodies.. I so miss TJ's..

Ross

Thank you everyone.
It was very good. I got the meats, salad bar items, breads, crackers and cheese spread at ShopRite of Parsippany. I love TJ's cheeses but they don't sell cured meats.

P.S. I love this new A/C!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom