Monday, May 21, 2018, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Craig made tasso pasta, which is julienned tasso ham, carrots, green and yellow squash, onions, a bit of minced garlic in a parm/cream sauce over pasta. It's a variation of a Paul Prudhomme recipe and a favorite.

Attachments

• 2018-05-21 17.45.46.jpg
    2018-05-21 17.45.46.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 137
My sister screwed up my schedule by changing our dinner into a lunch. While the rigatoni with shrimp and chorizo was delicious, it left me with no desire to cook dinner. As a result, dinner will be leftover pizza.

I made hamburgers with grilled onions and mushrooms topped with sliced tomatoes and Havarti cheese. They were so good they didn't need much with them so we just had some chips and dip.

Okay, I am in Huron, SD. I'm looking at a menu for a local place and considering two things I have never had. One is Hanger Steak, medium rare, of course. The Other is Walleye, served either fried or broiled.

What should I try? Or, should I go with my old faithful ribeye steak?

If I go walleye, should I go battered and fried, or broiled?

HELP!!!

CD

I think hanger steak is another name for blade steak cut differently. I'm not a fan. Get the ribeye.

Fresh walleye is excellent. Try it broiled. Fried is good too.

I talked with a few locals, and went with a lightly breaded and fried Walleye. It was perfectly cooked. I really liked it. I was afraid it would be very fishy like trout, but it was light, flaky and mild -- a lot like red snapper, my favorite fish, but a bit sweeter.

I'm glad I went that way. I love tasting something new and regional, especially when it turns out to be something delicious.

I'm very happy right now. That was a good dinner. Not cheap, but worth it.

CD

I was playing outside in the dirt most of the day so I was happy to have a couple of individual casseroles stashed and ready to defrost and pop in the toaster oven. This time it was my Italian Flag Casserole, and we had spinach salads for the sides.

Last edited:
We went riding around after our Lowe's run today. Took a drive through the CT countryside. Ended up at a nice brew-pub that we've been to before: Willimantic Brewing Company. We each had a beer (part of the proceeds from my "Flying Cigar Ale" go to the local Audubon society in support of Chimney Swifts). Himself had a pulled pork sandwich (delicious! - that was my choice last time) and I had a pretty danged good tuna melt. Yup, tuna melt. Cook's night off - yay!

...That was a good dinner. Not cheap, but worth it...
So what if it wasn't cheap, the company way paying! :LOL: :huh: :ermm: Wait, you're self-employed...never mind...

I'm looking at a menu for a local place and considering two things I have never had. One is Hanger Steak, medium rare, of course. The Other is Walleye, served either fried or broiled.

What should I try? Or, should I go with my old faithful ribeye steak?
That was a decision? Back when I used to travel for work, I would always get the local stuff that I couldn't get at home. When we go out to eat now, I always get things that I don't ordinarily make at home.

I don’t know about dinner, but for lunch I’m having Chana dhal with golden garlic tarka, kulcha, and lime-pickled onions.

Or a ham and cheese sandwich, lol. No, definitely going to try the dhal, my first try! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom