Monday Monday 4/23 What's for Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
Good afternoon everyone,

I've had a busy day of errands and shopping, and I'll be leaving soon to pick up the kids from school.

Dinner tonight will be roasted chicken drumsticks slathered with teriyaki sauce, jasmine rice, and pan-sauteed spinach with garlic.

Enjoy the day :chef:

No plans, have laundry to do, prescriptions to pick up and I may feel like cooking. If not there are gobs of musgoes in the fridge.

I'm in the middle of making a big pot of "Sunday Ragu" with meatballs. The sauce is just starting its 2 hour simmer. During this time I make the meatballs and brown them so I can add them to the sauce after the 2 hour simmer. Then it's another 1.5 hours of simmer with the meat.

We are gonna gnaw on some more octopus tonight. I have fixings for a greek cucumber salad and some ears of corn to go with it.

I made ropa vieja in the slow cooker yesterday. Tonight we'll have it in corn tortillas with tomato, shredded cabbage and queso fresco.

Andy - I adore a jolly good ragu, slow cooked is just the best. I do ragu when I make lasagne. Fab stuff.

Today we have had home made chicken soup. I boil up the carcass to make stock, add some leftover chicken to it with chopped carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onions and brown rice. The brown rice thickens it all nicely. Plenty of seasoning too and some fresh herbs. Delish and healthy.

We're having Mexican for supper. We call them burritos but their our version and not authentic. I make a meat mixture with hamburger, onion, corn, pinto beans and taco seasoning. We put that on a flour tortilla and add cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and fold it up and eat it. I think I have some hard corn tortillas around so will pull them out too but mostly we prefer flour shells.

Some kind of steak my Dad's grilling, mashed potatoes that I will pep up with parmesan cheese, smoked sea salt, a little ground cayenne & maybe some Cheddar on top. Collard greens, pinto beans, sliced onion & tomato, Mexican cornbread, & yeast rolls. Too tired to make dessert & I'm getting full just looking at all that food.

We just got back from a long, l-o-n-g, road trip to deal with a family emergency. So I was collecting mail, re-stocking the fridge, unpacking, etc, all day.

Then a friend called and asked if we wanted to go over for dinner and drinks after a visitation we need to do. Yes! She said, just tuna casserole.

It always amuses me that having been raised in a devout Roman Catholic family, my husband was not exposed to tuna casserole as a child. It was the bane of my existence. But canned tuna was pretty stinky back then; I don't mind it now. His Friday favorite was tunna patties made from canned tuna (mine were fish sticks or a hash made from flaked fish and grated potatoes).

She's a great cook, so I'm looking forward to it. Wonder if she'll put potato chips on top, like Mom did?

^ I've never had tuna casserole.
Part of me thinks it might be good and another part doesn't like the idea of hot tuna.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks it might be good and another part doesn't like the idea of hot tuna.

One of my favorite things at the cafe from work is a hot tuna melt... delish!

I have a thing about canned tuna...I love it fresh, but canned...just can't do that. I did eat a lot of it growing up...I use turkey or chicken instead re: casseroles (which, I would call hotdish because of the regional area where I grew up).

We are having breakfast for supper, French toast, bacon, and eggs. I had planned this a few nights ago but we ended up with fast food that night. :cool:

I have a thing about canned tuna...I love it fresh, but canned...just can't do that. I did eat a lot of it growing up...I use turkey or chicken instead re: casseroles (which, I would call hotdish because of the regional area where I grew up).
I'm picky about tuna, I refuse to eat water packed, but adore imported Italian tuna.Another love tinned smoked trout.
kades

Hot Tuna is surprisingly good. Tuna Casserole or Tuna Melt sandwiches.

And I suppose one could put buttered bread crumbs on top, but like Claire, I hope it's served with coarse crushed potato chips on top and cooked in the oven until bubbly and the creamy sauce oozes up around the edges. I like to make it with (frozen) peas added. I grew up with Canned Peas, but that is about the only real Difference I would make today. Oh, and a real sauce and not canned cream of mushroom soup. Yum !!

Here-- this'll get you in the mood to make a tuna casserole--

Hot Tuna - Water Song - YouTube

Attachments

• hot tuna 1.jpg
    hot tuna 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 213
Whiskadoodle said:
Hot Tuna is surprisingly good. Tuna Casserole or Tuna Melt sandwiches.

And I suppose one could put buttered bread crumbs on top, but like Claire, I hope it's served with coarse crushed potato chips on top and cooked in the oven until bubbly and the creamy sauce oozes up around the edges. I like to make it with (frozen) peas added. I grew up with Canned Peas, but that is about the only real Difference I would make today. Oh, and a real sauce and not canned cream of mushroom soup. Yum !!

Here-- this'll get you in the mood to make a tuna casserole--

Hot Tuna - Water Song - YouTube

Leftovers tonight.

I love tuna casserole! (and I use canned cream of mushroom soup! Shhhh. Don't tell.)

Back
Top Bottom