Monday Monday.... Dinner 28 July 2014.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
Haven't really done much with posting in dinner threads lately. We haven't cooked as much as we would like.

Today I have some chicken (BS) ready in their little vacuum bags with some Herbs of that there Provence. They will be done at 147F and go in shortly.

To go with em I will have some fried green maters (they are floured with salt and hot shot in the fridge).

And a cuke salad (we are loosing the battle to the cucumber vines.)

So whatcha making for dinner tonight?

I'm thawing a tough piece of steak we bought by mistake. It will go into a low and slow dish smothered in onions, peppers and celery, etc. with gravy.

Simple dinner tonight...hubby's not feeling well today.

Bratwurst stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese wrapped in bacon on the grill, baked beans, and more cucumber salad.

Another one of our one dish wonders: Italian sausage tortellini stir-fry. We slice up yellow squash and zucchini, grape tomatoes, onion, fresh garlic, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning into a delightful one-course dish. We cook the tortellini separate while we sauté the other ingredients in olive oil. We then combine, dish up and add a generous topping of coarse-grated Parmesan/Romano cheese for a quick and satisfying meal.

Last edited:
Salad--kale, chard, garden lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sprouts, dehydrated blueberries, peanuts, shredded parm., grated zucchini and golden beets, dressed with EVOO and some of the "OMG, is this good" raspberry vinegar that I made, S&P.

I think I'll be having a grilled cheese sandwich and a medley of veggies that I overbought again at the local farm stand yesterday.:rolleyes: :)

I made a cuke-and-onion vinegar salad earlier that is resting. I also made dessert: peach, cherries, blueberries and orange bits. It will get a dab of vanilla ice cream to make it dessert-y. Meanwhile, I have a number of chicken breasts I need to grill up. Two will be put away for future dinners this week, two will be turned into sandwiches for tonight: Challah rolls, chicken, bacon, cheese, tomato and lettuce. A tossed salad of some kind will precede it all.

I'm thawing a tough piece of steak we bought by mistake. It will go into a low and slow dish smothered in onions, peppers and celery, etc. with gravy.

Glad to hear your tackling that tough steak..you just can't beat Swiss Steak.
Well maybe, Swedish meatballs.

Simple dinner tonight...hubby's not feeling well today.

Bratwurst stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese wrapped in bacon on the grill, baked beans, and more cucumber salad.

Sorry about hubby, CCL. You just gave me my menu for tonight but I'm fresh out of cucumbers. ;)

Almost had a disaster making this dish. After slicing the steak, onions and adding some garlic, oil and Worcestershire, I thought thyme would be a good addition. So I opened the bottle to shake some into the mixing bowl. Unfortunately, the thyme doesn't have a shaker top so I dumped about 1/4 cup of thyme into the bowl! Brain dead!

I scooped and swiped as much as I could out of the bowl then actually rinsed some of the meat to get rid of more. I guess I got out enough because the dish was pretty good. Our grandson liked it.

Getting here late, but we had homemade pesto with penne and grape tomatoes on the side. I never make pesto on a Monday, but dc is sick and requested it so of course I wanted to comply. ;)

It worked well for Meat Free Monday, even though dc also requested Wendy's at lunch and I completely forgot about Meat Free Monday! :pig: Sorry Sir Paul, at least I remembered for dinner :cool:

Getting here late, but we had homemade pesto with penne and grape tomatoes on the side. I never make pesto on a Monday, but dc is sick and requested it so of course I wanted to comply. ;)

It worked well for Meat Free Monday, even though dc also requested Wendy's at lunch and I completely forgot about Meat Free Monday! :pig: Sorry Sir Paul, at least I remembered for dinner :cool:

I'm a little confused Stormy. The code doesn't compute.:huh: Why don't you ever make pesto on a Monday and who is Sir Paul and why his he in charge?

Kay, I suspect she's referring to Paul McCartney, a vegetarian who advocated for Meatless Mondays. As far as not making pesto on Monday, no clue.

Leftovers tonight. Curried chicken salad made with the last of a chicken I smoked a few days ago. My lettuce, arugula and mustard greens went bitter in the heat so it was on a bed of kale, chard and perpetual spinach, sprinkled with blueberries, huckleberries, strawberries and lemon thyme flowers.

(I had to look up rollmop, lol.)

Creole tasso and crawfish chowder. It was excellent! Had the obvious 2 ingredients plus bacon, onions, carrots, celery, green and red peppers, garlic, corn, and, of course, potatoes. Took less than an hour to make, including the lots of chopping time, and tasted like something that had cooked for hours. You could leave out the crawfish or sub crab or shrimp and it would be just as good. Definitely a make again for us.

Back
Top Bottom