"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

We had chicken and dumplings that I made out of leftovers from last night's supper. It came out nice and creamy, for a change. I made some chocolate ice cream today, so the kids had that (Sadly, I'm allergic to chocolate).

Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

Cucumber Relish
1 large cucumber peeled, seeded, fine-chopped
1 c plain yogart
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice (or white wine vinegar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp minced garlic

Combine and chill for at least 1 hr. to allow marrying of flavors. Pour over your chops at serving.

Marion[/quote]

Besides Lamb have you served this with anything else?

Old 09-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #13
Master Chef

I decided we would try GB's Chimichuri Sauce............well we sort of did. I thought I still had fresh lemons and enough EVOO. Turned out that I only had the Lemon Concentrate "Real Lemon"...then lemons I had didn't look to healthy and only 1/4 cup of EVOO left after marinating the chicken.

So anyway I used everthing in GB's recipe but did the following. I added 1/2 tsp more of the ground cumen, 3/4 cup vegetable oil and 10 grinds of freshly ground black pepper. It had too much of an oily taste and I think that was probably the result of using the veg. oil. So I thought this would be really good if it were a creamier blend so I added 3 Tbsp. Mayo. It really turned out good. Granted too I didn't use the 10 to 12 garlic cloves but only 5 and it still had a strong garlic flavor. I'll def. be making this again. Thanks GB for giving me this recipe and the chance to make it my own. I do plan to try yours out fully by your instructions when I'm certain I have all the ingredients.

For the meat I served it with......I marinated 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with EVOO, Minced Garlic, Kosher Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper (Fine Grind), Lemon Pepper and drizzled the chicken with "Real Lemon" Juice. I browned the chicken in a cast iron skillet then transferred it to a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Along with it we had buttered frozen corn and roasted garlic potatoes. Oh and I grilled some of the remaining Garlic Parmesan Bread I'd picked up at the bakery.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

tonight was a very strange combination of things for dinner.

after going to another church festival, i dropped off the wife and boy and went to an asian market and picked up some chive kimchee, and some sweet pickled sliced radish, as well as a bunch of other odd stuff. then i picked up some sushi for dw (we're out of sync sushi-wise), and pizza for our son.
while i was out, dw made my galleto glassato recipe with a small roasting chicken, steamed carrots, and rotini pasta with ricotta and sauce.

so dinner was kimchee, pizza, sushi, roasted chicken, carrots, and pasta.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
dw made my galleto glassato recipe with a small roasting chicken, steamed carrots, and rotini pasta with ricotta and sauce.
I'd like to try that galleto glassato out but dh is not a fan of the sweet and salty combos. Let's just say he doesn't go for bacon and maple syrup. Does the chicken come out kinda sweet? Was your pasta sauce a red sauce with ricotta or a ricotta white sauce? Sounds good either way.

I planned on a big dinner tonight, but we felt like something light. I made salad with lots of veggies and roast chicken.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

cora, the chicken isn't really sweet, it's more savory from the herbs and citrus. the balsamic vinegar helps balance the honey, and they give the chicken a really nice dark glaze. you could reduce or possibly even eliminate the honey, but i'm not sure how that will work as far as the color goes.

the pasta was simply ricotta mixed into the tomato sauce, then tossed into the rotini. because of it's shape, it holds the sauce nicely.

after all of that odd food, i could go for a nice salad.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:36 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Ah, didn't someone once say about salad
Quote:
that's not food. that's what food eats!!!
lol.
Thanks for the heads up on the glasseto, btw. It looks too good not to make. If dh doesn't like it, he can go fix himself more cereal.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I decided we would try GB's Chimichuri Sauce............well we sort of did. .
SNAP!...sort of!

All that chimichuri talk was sending me crazy and Milan has loads of Agentinian restaurants, so we went for a lomo. BUT what they called chimichuri and what I am use to is VERY different. They brought a smooth parsely and evoo emulsion type sauce. More like a parsley pesto than chimichuri. don't get me wrong, it was lovely, but I still have the hankerings for chimichuri!

So we had: a small lomo with "chimichuri", grilled veg and Husband had a baked potato as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #19
Master Chef

[quote=lulu]SNAP!...sort of!

....just a bit confused why you Snapped this Lulu?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #20
Head Chef

Cause I sort of had chimichuri definitely inspried by GBs recipe! Just that I didn't make it, and it turned out not to be chimichuri, lol!