Monday, Sept. 4 dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
So I browned some chicken and put it in the SS skillet where I had some onions and celery going (seasoned w/oregano, s&p). Added baby carrots. Covered it with some jarred alfredo, white wine, and a little butter. Let it cook up a bit, and then threw it in the oven at 350 about 10 minutes ago.

I'm gonna check it in about half an hour and then start some rice.

What're you concocting?

We really had an easy meal yesterday, so today I'm making chicken enchilladas, rice, beans, salsa and chips before dinner, beer, ice tea, and we have a key lime pie left from yesterday so dessert is done and waiting. The girls said they were each bringing an appy so we shall see what falls onto the counter:LOL:
kadesma

After what felt like a food orgy this past weekend, and having the house all to myself, I just warmed up some leftover pasta.

I see no cooking around here till Friday! hahaha:LOL:

Grilled lamb, cheezy-spiced-up-mashed-taters, Morrocco olive bread and the cake I made yeaterday.

Marion

Sounds great Marion!
How do you spice up your lamb before grilling it?:)

Since the weather was rainy, no grilling for us today. I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas, and gravy. It was a comfort food meal :chef:

Good evening, kind lady....

Lamb chops with Cucumber Relish

1/2 c olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tblsp minced, fresh rosemary
2 tblsp minced, fresh mint
1 tblsp lemon juice
2 tsp Essence (let me know if you need the recipe)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine the above ingredients, pour over chops, thoroughly coating them. Refridgerate 4 hrs. Grill, basting with marinade.

Cucumber Relish
1 large cucumber peeled, seeded, fine-chopped
1 c plain yogart
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice (or white wine vinegar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp minced garlic

Combine and chill for at least 1 hr. to allow marrying of flavors. Pour over your chops at serving.

Marion

Last edited:
I think dinner will be alone tonight. DD's husband and little guy are at the hospital and I am getting much needed rest, sort of. Babysat our DS's 2 DD's last night until after midnight. Uff da.......................more spaghetti and meatballs for me I think. If I get up the gumption, I'll make my DD the best carrot cake recipe ever. She comes home tomorrow from the hospital. I've noticed she orders carrot cake everyday for lunch in the hospital and although it probably suits the bill, I know mine is to die for. She apparently loves carrot cake so to come home to a large panfull, she may really be a happy girl, mommy.

Enjoy your evening.

Last edited:
We had chicken and dumplings that I made out of leftovers from last night's supper. It came out nice and creamy, for a change. I made some chocolate ice cream today, so the kids had that (Sadly, I'm allergic to chocolate).

Cucumber Relish
1 large cucumber peeled, seeded, fine-chopped
1 c plain yogart
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice (or white wine vinegar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp minced garlic

Combine and chill for at least 1 hr. to allow marrying of flavors. Pour over your chops at serving.

Marion[/quote]

Besides Lamb have you served this with anything else?

I decided we would try GB's Chimichuri Sauce............well we sort of did. I thought I still had fresh lemons and enough EVOO. Turned out that I only had the Lemon Concentrate "Real Lemon"...then lemons I had didn't look to healthy and only 1/4 cup of EVOO left after marinating the chicken.

So anyway I used everthing in GB's recipe but did the following. I added 1/2 tsp more of the ground cumen, 3/4 cup vegetable oil and 10 grinds of freshly ground black pepper. It had too much of an oily taste and I think that was probably the result of using the veg. oil. So I thought this would be really good if it were a creamier blend so I added 3 Tbsp. Mayo. It really turned out good. Granted too I didn't use the 10 to 12 garlic cloves but only 5 and it still had a strong garlic flavor. I'll def. be making this again. Thanks GB for giving me this recipe and the chance to make it my own. I do plan to try yours out fully by your instructions when I'm certain I have all the ingredients.

For the meat I served it with......I marinated 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with EVOO, Minced Garlic, Kosher Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper (Fine Grind), Lemon Pepper and drizzled the chicken with "Real Lemon" Juice. I browned the chicken in a cast iron skillet then transferred it to a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Along with it we had buttered frozen corn and roasted garlic potatoes. Oh and I grilled some of the remaining Garlic Parmesan Bread I'd picked up at the bakery.

tonight was a very strange combination of things for dinner.

after going to another church festival, i dropped off the wife and boy and went to an asian market and picked up some chive kimchee, and some sweet pickled sliced radish, as well as a bunch of other odd stuff. then i picked up some sushi for dw (we're out of sync sushi-wise), and pizza for our son.
while i was out, dw made my galleto glassato recipe with a small roasting chicken, steamed carrots, and rotini pasta with ricotta and sauce.

so dinner was kimchee, pizza, sushi, roasted chicken, carrots, and pasta.

buckytom said:
dw made my galleto glassato recipe with a small roasting chicken, steamed carrots, and rotini pasta with ricotta and sauce.
I'd like to try that galleto glassato out but dh is not a fan of the sweet and salty combos. Let's just say he doesn't go for bacon and maple syrup. :LOL: Does the chicken come out kinda sweet? Was your pasta sauce a red sauce with ricotta or a ricotta white sauce? Sounds good either way.

I planned on a big dinner tonight, but we felt like something light. I made salad with lots of veggies and roast chicken.

cora, the chicken isn't really sweet, it's more savory from the herbs and citrus. the balsamic vinegar helps balance the honey, and they give the chicken a really nice dark glaze. you could reduce or possibly even eliminate the honey, but i'm not sure how that will work as far as the color goes.

the pasta was simply ricotta mixed into the tomato sauce, then tossed into the rotini. because of it's shape, it holds the sauce nicely.

after all of that odd food, i could go for a nice salad.

SizzlininIN said:
I decided we would try GB's Chimichuri Sauce............well we sort of did. .

SNAP!...sort of!

All that chimichuri talk was sending me crazy and Milan has loads of Agentinian restaurants, so we went for a lomo. BUT what they called chimichuri and what I am use to is VERY different. They brought a smooth parsely and evoo emulsion type sauce. More like a parsley pesto than chimichuri. don't get me wrong, it was lovely, but I still have the hankerings for chimichuri!

So we had: a small lomo with "chimichuri", grilled veg and Husband had a baked potato as well.

Cause I sort of had chimichuri definitely inspried by GBs recipe! Just that I didn't make it, and it turned out not to be chimichuri, lol!

Back
Top Bottom