Monday's Menu? 9/8/2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have to? The milk protein / fat will most likely separate (curdle)...

I have made this recipe in a larger pan (rather than individual pans) and frozen the cooked leftovers with no curdling. Where I'm making individuals for the first time I wanted to confirm my thought that freezing it then cooking it later is better because it won't dry out as much.

dw made a roast chicken, herb roasted potatoes, and a garden cuke salad. it was plain, and simple, and really good.

3 humans, 4 cats, and 2 parrots ate well tonight.

We had fancy salad salad (romaine/spinach, green and black olives, hard-cooked egg, grated mozz, and tomato), grilled steak with a coffee rub (I used Ina Garten's recipe), sauteed mushrooms finished with a splash of Sherry, baked potatoes finished on the grill, and grilled broccoli. The broccoli was a wee bit al dente (it crunched! It's OK, we eat it raw with dips) but Himself has nailed perfectly grilled steak. :yum: That glass? We also had Dark & Stormies. Been one of those days...:wacko:

Attachments

• 2014-09-08 20.57.25.jpg
    2014-09-08 20.57.25.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 179
omg, dark and stormies? the first couple of them taste like medicine.
then you stop minding....

If I freeze stew I fish out the potatoes before freezing it,

I noticed that too, that the frozen and reheated potatoes got a bit of a mushy outer surface. I think that's what makes the liquid part of the stew a bit mushy looking as I stir it during reheating.

I'll have to adjust for that. Thanks.

We had fancy salad salad (romaine/spinach, green and black olives, hard-cooked egg, grated mozz, and tomato), grilled steak with a coffee rub (I used Ina Garten's recipe), sauteed mushrooms finished with a splash of Sherry, baked potatoes finished on the grill, and grilled broccoli. The broccoli was a wee bit al dente (it crunched! It's OK, we eat it raw with dips) but Himself has nailed perfectly grilled steak. :yum: That glass? We also had Dark & Stormies. Been one of those days...:wacko:
Oh my goodness, that meal looks wonderful, with perfectly cooked steak. How did you like the coffee rub? Was it gritty?

Thanks ladies. It was both beautiful and yummy.

taxy, the coffee wasn't gritty because I took 1/2 Tbsp. from today's fresh-ground beans made with my regular grinder https://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_makers/dbm-8.html and ground them even finer in my little grinder similar to this Krups. Since Bobby Flay's recipe, which I looked at but decided to not use, called for "espresso grind coffee", it was just courser than dust when I was done. :LOL: Didn't really taste much of coffee. The only change I made to Ina's recipe was to reduce the red chili pepper flakes to just more than half of the called for 1/2 Tablespoon. It was a bit hot for even Himself! I believe his remark was "that steak was done just right before I put it on the grill". We'll have it again, but next time I'll amp up the coffee and cut back a little bit more on the pepper flakes.

bt, Dark & Stormies are good with real ginger beer and and quality rum. We have Gosling's Black Seal rum. Last time we had Gosling's ginger beer too, which was good. Tonight we tried Capt'n Eli's ginger beer from Shipyard Brewing - it uses cane sugar intead of Hi fruc. corn syrup. It had more ginger bite yet. :yum: It was so good we're thinking of going another round. :ermm:

Last edited:

That looks and sounds like a wonderful dinner! That steak is perfectly done, and the mushrooms....omgosh...:yum:

I picked through the fridge this evening and had a small salad and some cheese and crackers. Nothing to write home about, but it was good. :)

Hm, can't believe there is no Monday meal thread yet!

Sadly, I have no exciting meal to report on. Today it was just pizza and salad. (Nothing to write home about.)

So, what did everyone else have?
Hi there, Katy. Long time no see.

Well, I've found out why the yanks rave about philly cheese steak. Yesterday (Monday) I went to the deli for lunch and on the "specials" menu was Philly cheese steak and chips with a mixed salad and coleslaw. Yum, yum and yum again! Followed by locally made salted caramel and peanut butter ice cream.

Lunch to die for!

My son is heading over to England for 4 months so we met up with him for his final dinner. He wanted Pho, so, Pho it was. Late lunch so here I am at 7 p.m. not hungry. I know I will be later so it will probably be some cheese and stuff I bought at an Italian grocer today...
Where abouts will he be based? And what is he doing here?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom