Monday's Menu - March 31st 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't had a CA Kitchen pizza since they stopped going on sale here a few years ago... I miss them. IMO best frozen pizza you can get for five bucks, but I'm partial to thin crust. I liked their margherite.

I bought some frozen sole fillets. I used this recipe: Baked Sole Almondine | a scrumptious life. I wanted to bake them, since the package came with instructions for baking and I didn't want to bother defrosting them. baked them at 400, instead of 350, to make up for the fact that they started out frozen. It was quite good. The sauce was a bit thin, but thickened as it cooled. Maybe next time I won't add all the butter before it goes in the oven, but add some cold butter when it's ready to serve.

I served it with potatoes and cole slaw. I tried Addie's suggestion of adding radishes. Unfortunately, as Cave76 mentioned, they were wimpy. no pizzazz. I'm glad I added a bit of sliced red onion.

Last edited:
We ended up with bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches on the liddle griddle.

Dinner got changed. So what else is new? SIL stopped by to rescue us from some of the Never-ending Vat of Minestrone and we got to talking. And talking. I ended up making one of our quick favorites ~ a fry pan full of onions, potatoes, and hot dog chunks. Wishing my :yum: icon was working...

We had grilled rib eye steaks, baked potatoes with the trimmings, asparagus for me and cauliflower for DH, there is angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. ;)

Oh, such yummy sounding dinners. Taxy, I copied your sole almondine recipe you posted. :yum:

I had planned on fish tacos, but didn't get to the store for cabbage. I ended up with an artichoke again, and a small salad. I never get tired of artichokes.

Rock, looks fantastic!

I made pan-seared pork chops with a spicy maple glaze, baked potatoes, and a green salad. :yum: ;)

What is the difference between pan fried pork chops and pan seared :huh:
Do you cook them like a steak, searing then finishing in the oven?

Oh, such yummy sounding dinners. Taxy, I copied your sole almondine recipe you posted. :yum:

I had planned on fish tacos, but didn't get to the store for cabbage. I ended up with an artichoke again, and a small salad. I never get tired of artichokes.

Rock, looks fantastic!
I hope you like that recipe. It was such an easy way to prepare fish and it was yummy.

What is the difference between pan fried pork chops and pan seared :huh:
Do you cook them like a steak, searing then finishing in the oven?

To me, fried means there would be quite a bit of oil; I only used about 1 tbsp. I did sear them in my cast-iron skillet, then poured in the glaze, turned the chops a couple times, then put the pan in the oven at 200F. This was partly to finish cooking - the chops were about 1 inch thick - and partly to prevent the glaze from burning on the stove top.

To me, fried means there would be quite a bit of oil; I only used about 1 tbsp. I did sear them in my cast-iron skillet, then poured in the glaze, turned the chops a couple times, then put the pan in the oven at 200F. This was partly to finish cooking - the chops were about 1 inch thick - and partly to prevent the glaze from burning on the stove top.

Ahh, I thought they might find their way into the oven :chef:

I do use more oil because I usually make gravy. The few times I made a glaze I used less oil. I'll have to remember to finish them in the oven. That would certainly help the glaze out.

Ahh, I thought they might find their way into the oven :chef:

I do use more oil because I usually make gravy. The few times I made a glaze I used less oil. I'll have to remember to finish them in the oven. That would certainly help the glaze out.

You might like this glaze; I adapted it from a Cooks Illustrated recipe for glazed pork roast. I salted and peppered the chops and let them sit for about an hour. Then I mixed together about 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves and 1/8 tsp. cayenne. Adjust seasonings to taste :)

Thanks.
I was thinking I had everything, but remembered I have molasses, not maple syrup. Tis the season though. I'll pick some up and give it a try.

You had me at bacon and pineapple. They would make a piece of drywall taste good.

I have no idea what to have tonight. It may be drywall with bacon and pineapple.

Now that you mention it, you're right. I'll pass on the drywall, but bacon goes with almost anything (maybe not sex) and pineapple is very versatile when cooked. I've often thrown pineapple on the grill with any kind of barbecue.

And folks, no need to core your pineapple if you are barbecuing it. Just slice off the skin, cut it into round thin sections, barbecue. The heat tenderizes the center and you don't need to excise it. In fact it provides a rather nice slightly crunchy counterpoint to the limp but tasty cooked outer parts. By all means feel free to baste it with whatever you're using on your main course.

My CPK pizza tasted fine going down but woke me in the middle of the night. Diagnosis: too much starch (pizza crust). I did eat the whole thing. Yeah I know, don't say it.

I haven't had a CA Kitchen pizza since they stopped going on sale here a few years ago... I miss them. IMO best frozen pizza you can get for five bucks, but I'm partial to thin crust. I liked their margherite.

I used to work in Palm Springs and lived at the Hyatt Regency on Palm Blvd. right next to CPK, and I really enjoyed their food. (I commuted home on weekends.) Sad to say their freezer product never compared to the real thing.

I miss their Thai chicken the most.

No more CPK freezer pizza for me. I've had enough.

Back
Top Bottom