More Menu Help, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I'm have a group of friends over for Labor Day and plan on making Gazpacho and Muffaletta Sandwiches. What else do you think would go well ? Probably brownies and lemon bars for dessert.

If any of you have favorite gazpacho recipes, I'd love to see them. M ine is good, but always looking for new ideas. Oh!Maybe I'll serve it in glasses with a shrimp garnish. Hmmm.

Really, your help is always appreciated.
Lyndalou

Here's a recipe we used at the restaurant I used to cook at:

Gazpacho

10# peeled tomatoes (or canned)
2# red pepper
3 jalapenos, seeded and de-veined
2# seeded cukes
1 bunch cilantro
black pepper
salt
2 cups red wine
1 cup olive oil (**see cook's note)
couple slices of bread

Run all veggies through the small blade of a meat grinder (I use the one that came with my Kitchen Aid) I ended by running a couple slices of bread through the meat grinder too because it was still packed with wonderful veggies!!!!! Garnish with any of the veggies and sour cream.

***Cook's Note - I start out with 1/2 the amount of red wine vinegar and olive oil. I may end up using more red wine vinegar but usually don't add anymore olive oil. If, however, you can infuse a small portion of good EVOO with a huge amount of cilantro for a few days this would make a wonderful drizzle in each finished bowl.

The recipe does need to sit for a few hours in fridge. Feel free to cut this recipe in half - it makes a huge amount.

Homemade chicken enchiladas including a homemade white sauce is great topped with the strained gazpacho.

A nice light summer dessert IMHO anyway would be:

green grapes
sour cream (it can be light)
brown sugar

You can cut the grapes lengthwise or just leave them whole. Mix enough brown sugar into the sour cream to make a rich caramel flavor. You want quite a bit more dressing in grapes. Let set in fridge all day. Serve in pretty little bowls or wine glasses making sure you add some of that good sauce to each serving.

Another simple dessert is just take a couple cored pineapple rings, a few whole strawberries and drizzle with Grand Marnier. You can always place a thin slice of pound cake under the fruit for added "filler".

Gazpacho

Lyndalou - I like the idea of serving in glasses w/shrimp garnish!
Here's my favorite gazpacho to add to the collection:
Gazpacho
1 cup peeled tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon snipped chives
1 small clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil