"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #11
Head Chef

Bern's Steak House in Tampa, FL. Don't know the cost, told my DH that he should keep it to himself. Wonderful evening.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Senior Cook

How odd to find this a topic this morning. I was talking to some friends last night and told them about the breakfast we had at Brennan's in New Orleans a couple years ago. The bill came to $132.00 not counting the tip for just my husband and me. We had the most incredible, memorable breakfast we could ever have imagined. (We started the meal with escargot and raw oysters. We ended with their famous Bananas Foster. ) The food and service were superb. I can't believe we could eat that much food but eat we did and we talked about it for a long time. Now that he's gone, I wouldn't have traded that meal for anything in the world. He loved good food as I did.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I can't remember. I used to travel on business quite a bit, to very expensive cities like Boston, New York, and Washington D.C., and seeing I was on an expense account (your tax dollars at work!) I just proffered the company Amex card and signed the receipt. I never bothered to remember the cost once I submitted the expense reports.

I visited Ana Mandara in San Francisco last year after the Chinese New Years parade, and for four of us the bill came to $240.00 with tip. But, we had appetizers, entrees, dessert, and wine; the food, the service, and the ambiance were fantastic; and no one left hungry so it was worth the expense. Normally we eat in Chinatown after the parade, which seldom costs more than 15 bucks a head because, well, it's Chinatown!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Y'all are lucky you don't live in New York! Most "nice" but not extravagant restaurants cost around $100 per person... more depending upon what you drink with that.....

I think the most expensive meal I ever paid for was at the Wheatleigh, a restaurant in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts... I think my share of the bill (divided equally) was just under $300.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Head Chef

I am lucky enught not to know what the expensive restaurants I've eaten at cost ;) . I hope I never find out, too, rofl
Old 04-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I live in the NYC metro area, so prices are inflated a bit around here. If my boyfriend and I go out for a nice dinner either in the city or here in northern NJ, we usually expect dinner to be about $200-$250, including drinks but not gratuity.
About 6-7 years ago, my husband and I were in Key West with our kids. We had dinner at a steak house named after some football guy. That dinner was $450. I recall the lobster we shared as a first course was just over a hundred bucks.

In my previous career, I would often dine with clients, who always payed the tab. I was quite fond of a special restaurant that served caviar as a meal or first course. I often ordered the osetra for lunch, which was $95.

Four years ago, 4 lady friends and I were treated to dinner by a gentleman who enjoyed being in the company of lovely ladies. We went to Le Bec Fin in Philladelphia. Peeking at the bill was extremely difficult, but I did manage to see that the price of the 5 meals, excluding the bar tab was $1500. I imagine the bar tab was another $500.

Were they worth it? Absolutely. I have no qualms paying for a magnificent meal, as long as the service and ambience are impeccable, as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Y'all are lucky you don't live in New York! Most "nice" but not extravagant restaurants cost around $100 per person... more depending upon what you drink with that.....

I think the most expensive meal I ever paid for was at the Wheatleigh, a restaurant in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts... I think my share of the bill (divided equally) was just under $300.
Lou and I dined there about 5 years ago! We were 4 couples, and I believe the cost of dinner was over $1200. What a positively magnificent place. I loved how the waitstaff swept the room to serve, and stood behind you, waiting patiently....
Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Y'all are lucky you don't live in New York!
I've been saying that very same thing most of my entire adult life!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I can't spell it but we went to a Brazilian Steak House that was extremely high priced, in my opinion.
Ruth's Chris is another one!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I've been saying that very same thing most of my entire adult life!
For me it wasn't luck, it took quite a lot of planning and back breaking labor but we did it! We moved!